British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I am not a finance bod but.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-am-not-finance-bod-but-606877/)

Grace O Malley May 3rd 2009 10:51 am

I am not a finance bod but....

Just had notification that a certain well known expat school in AD is raising the school fees by 1570 a term, surely with peeps losing their jobs and expats with kids whose school fees are paid by the company being directly targeted is not a good move....

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 10:57 am

Re: I am not a finance bod but....

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7537239)
Just had notification that a certain well known expat school in AD is raising the school fees by 1570 a term, surely with peeps losing their jobs and expats with kids whose school fees are paid by the company being directly targeted is not a good move....

perhaps they're anticipating less students next school year and are spreading the cost over those who remain?

Grace O Malley May 3rd 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7537249)
perhaps they're anticipating less students next school year and are spreading the cost over those who remain?

Yes prob but that wont help the remaining parents who may well be on their employees hit list if the company has to fork out for the additional fees. Companies are reducing costs and salaries and such not giving increases

Emerald_Eyes May 3rd 2009 11:06 am

Well I don't have kids but that sounds like a hell of an increase when it appears to be moving more towards a "parent's market" with the amount of exiting families. It doesn't sound like a wise move, unless all the other schools do it as well?!

Tiger989 May 3rd 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7537261)
Well I don't have kids but that sounds like a hell of an increase when it appears to be moving more towards a "parent's market" with the amount of exiting families. It doesn't sound like a wise move, unless all the other schools do it as well?!

Alot of schools will be doing it due to the fact alot of students won't be re-enrolling and they wanna cover up there loss.

Grace O Malley May 3rd 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7537261)

Not sure if the other schools in AD are doing it, but it just doesn't seem sensible with companies cutting costs all around.

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7537275)
Not sure if the other schools in AD are doing it, but it just doesn't seem sensible with companies cutting costs all around.

I have heard the same about schools here in Dubai, we haven't got our fees for next year yet but I can bet you anything they are increased. They are fools to themselves the schools. I even went and spoke to our Deputy Head about the situation, tried to explain that a bit of compassion towards the parents at this time would go a long way with regards to their reputation. Unfortunately the owner of the school doesn't see it that way. They are making an absolute fortune these schools.

seraphnina May 3rd 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7537303)
I have heard the same about schools here in Dubai, we haven't got our fees for next year yet but I can bet you anything they are increased. They are fools to themselves the schools. I even went and spoke to our Deputy Head about the situation, tried to explain that a bit of compassion towards the parents at this time would go a long way with regards to their reputation. Unfortunately the owner of the school doesn't see it that way. They are making an absolute fortune these schools.

Yes a certain Mr some1 is not happy that his new school is not allowed to raise the fees. Kicking up a right stink.

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by seraphnina (Post 7537324)
Yes a certain Mr some1 is not happy that his new school is not allowed to raise the fees. Kicking up a right stink.

would that be the lovely Mr Varkey by any chance :rofl:

hawkhead May 3rd 2009 11:40 am

They are making an absolute fortune these schools.
But the school Anna is talking about is not-for-profit....

seraphnina May 3rd 2009 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7537329)
would that be the lovely Mr Varkey by any chance :rofl:

The one and only.

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7537330)

I don't buy this profit -v- non profit, they all charge the same so what difference does it make?

busybee2 May 3rd 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7537330)

they have to pay for their new "coaches" dont you think.

seraphnina May 3rd 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7537391)
they have to pay for their new "coaches" dont you think.

Wont that be a separate fee?

busybee2 May 3rd 2009 12:12 pm

also heard today that a "certain" construction company in AD is now not paying school fees too.