Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical Get Out of Dodge Plan....

Wikiposts

Hypothetical Get Out of Dodge Plan....

Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:43 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hypothetical Get Out of Dodge Plan....

Originally Posted by Meow
But we have a word for them don't we Norm?
I have strings of words for them....entire paragraphs in fact

N.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I guess because it's not really idle banter. We've all got our exit strategies and do wisely to keep them to our chests. If you've been out here any length of time, you'll have known someone who lost out and will realise that most things are completely undependable.

Oh, and I've seen "articles" quoting forum postings word for word. Quite funny. Journalism here rocks.
the Daily Mail reads BE, one of their journos contacted me via the DM's
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the Daily Mail reads BE, one of their journos contacted me via the DM's
It also wouldn't surprise me if the Dubai CID aren't watching this site closely. They have certainly been watching other expat forums as evidenced by sting operations I've heard about.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:06 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
It also wouldn't surprise me if the Dubai CID aren't watching this site closely. They have certainly been watching other expat forums as evidenced by sting operations I've heard about.
oooo... interesting!

/waves to onlookers!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:20 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
yeah probably watching right now.. lucky you never told them about your drugs importation business huh ? whoops silly me

7-1 nice
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
But we have a word for them don't we Norm?

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I have strings of words for them....entire paragraphs in fact

N.
Customers?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coopersda
Okay, don't know why I bothered trying to think of a new topic to chat about as the posts on here seem to constantly rotate around "what tv is there to watch in xxx", "where do I get booze", "how do I rent a car", "where is a nice place to stay in xxxxx" "driving is sh.t here" etc etc
You could drop by my emergency preparedness thread.. sorta fits, and is something new anyway.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695228
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

The answer is simple, you'd do the same thing you would do if you were at home and made redundant or whatever. You'd either, find another way of paying the bills or run away. I don't buy the 'there aren't any jobs' line. I was made redundant in the UK during the last recession, I just went and found a lower paid job so at least I could do something.
I'm thankfully (touch wood) pretty secure job wise here unlike a lot of the ex pats that we see come over who quite frankly, shouldn't have been employed in the first place and have managed to blag themselves a good lifestyle. I'm not aiming that at anyone on the board by the way, just what I see around me. I'm damn good at my job and I know for a fact that if it all went Pete Tong tomorrow, I'd have another job in the same field very quickly. Even if it didn't happen immediately, there are other jobs I can do here which are reasonably well paid as a back up. Lastly, if you are sensible, when you come here, you meet people, network and that way, if you ever really are in the brown sticky stuff, somebody may be able to help you out.
Is it really that difficult to work out or are we talking about another typical expat who runs up huge debts without worrying about the consequences and then leaves making the rest of us all look bad?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
The answer is simple, you'd do the same thing you would do if you were at home and made redundant or whatever. You'd either, find another way of paying the bills or run away. I don't buy the 'there aren't any jobs' line. I was made redundant in the UK during the last recession, I just went and found a lower paid job so at least I could do something.
I'm thankfully (touch wood) pretty secure job wise here unlike a lot of the ex pats that we see come over who quite frankly, shouldn't have been employed in the first place and have managed to blag themselves a good lifestyle. I'm not aiming that at anyone on the board by the way, just what I see around me. I'm damn good at my job and I know for a fact that if it all went Pete Tong tomorrow, I'd have another job in the same field very quickly. Even if it didn't happen immediately, there are other jobs I can do here which are reasonably well paid as a back up. Lastly, if you are sensible, when you come here, you meet people, network and that way, if you ever really are in the brown sticky stuff, somebody may be able to help you out.
Is it really that difficult to work out or are we talking about another typical expat who runs up huge debts without worrying about the consequences and then leaves making the rest of us all look bad?
Spot on , the calibre of people employed on massive salaries over the last 3 years was unbelievable and also unsustainable , people actually mirrored what they had done in the U.K as they did in Dubai .

Run up massive debts as they needed a bigger 4x4 , bigger villa , better holiday , a better sit down lawn mower and botox for the wife.

None of that is wrong if you can afford it and there's zero wrong with making yourself a better life , especially where the sun shines all year , the problem starts when you can't afford it and when you're life experiences aren't enough to hold you in good stead when the proverbial hits the fan and believe me it's when and not if in this part of the world.

Dubai got a tarnished name and rightly so in some instances , the 'I want now' generation revelled in it and pushed it to breaking point and when the bubble burst there was a host of casualties.

I've spent a lot of years in and out of Dubai and know that it will never be the same again , the greed and excess and champagne bullshit belong in another era now and it will be a much better place for all in the long run.

The Chancers in life will always get found out in the end and as the saying goes 'Ex-pat workers are the dogs of the working world , they land , sniff around for a bit , eat , hump, piss all over the place and then leave....!!!'
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Spot on , the calibre of people employed on massive salaries over the last 3 years was unbelievable and also unsustainable , people actually mirrored what they had done in the U.K as they did in Dubai .

Run up massive debts as they needed a bigger 4x4 , bigger villa , better holiday , a better sit down lawn mower and botox for the wife.

None of that is wrong if you can afford it and there's zero wrong with making yourself a better life , especially where the sun shines all year , the problem starts when you can't afford it and when you're life experiences aren't enough to hold you in good stead when the proverbial hits the fan and believe me it's when and not if in this part of the world.

Dubai got a tarnished name and rightly so in some instances , the 'I want now' generation revelled in it and pushed it to breaking point and when the bubble burst there was a host of casualties.

I've spent a lot of years in and out of Dubai and know that it will never be the same again , the greed and excess and champagne bullshit belong in another era now and it will be a much better place for all in the long run.

The Chancers in life will always get found out in the end and as the saying goes 'Ex-pat workers are the dogs of the working world , they land , sniff around for a bit , eat , hump, piss all over the place and then leave....!!!'
were people really buying sit down lawnmowers? I would have assumed most just pay a gardener?

I got mine in Dragon Mart...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
were people really buying sit down lawnmowers? I would have assumed most just pay a gardener?

I drove mine to brunch once..played havoc with the wifes Maxi dress...!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:26 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

What, the gardener or the lawnmower...???
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
What, the gardener or the lawnmower...???
both are possible. but in my case it was the lawnmower.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much does a Chinese filly cost? I'm looking for one. My requirements are: slender, good height, clear complexion, good fashion sense and looks good in pearls. Must be sensible, educated and organised. Preferably frugal but I'll be happy to lavish gifts and clothes on the right one.

You think they have one available up at D-mart?

both are possible. but in my case it was the lawnmower.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:52 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
How much does a Chinese filly cost? I'm looking for one. My requirements are: slender, good height, clear complexion, good fashion sense and looks good in pearls. Must be sensible, educated and organised. Preferably frugal but I'll be happy to lavish gifts and clothes on the right one.

You think they have one available up at D-mart?
look good in pearls? why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.