British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How's Ramadan going? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hows-ramadan-going-878923/)

Bahtatboy Jun 22nd 2016 1:26 pm

Re: How's Ramadan going?

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11980418)
Both my children were born in the same hospital that their mum delivered in.

My eldest two also. 3rd was in the home town of Greene King, so that's alright.

mission Jun 22nd 2016 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11980366)
Why whats happening.

Any way i am safe, i have booked a week of work. Off to the Big Apple on the 11th; i'll in the air so no issues, cant wait to see the WTC

i've been up the WTC and the statue of liberty...way before any american even know what islam was

mission Jun 22nd 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11980354)

This year 99% bet is on Eid being on the 6th of July so Wednesday, Thursday, Friday off for some and Saturday off for most....wooohooo!

It wouldn't surprise me if they 'fix' it like that :p

Irishbeekeeper Jun 22nd 2016 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11980645)
It wouldn't surprise me if they 'fix' it like that :p

You know you don't even know how close to the truth that statement really is ;)

iggle Jun 23rd 2016 3:46 am

Knowing my company...we will be forced to work public hols. No idea how they get away with this

jam25mack Jun 23rd 2016 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11980282)
Highly doubt it will be the 6th July.....that would make it 30 fasts and its very rare to do 30...the norm is 29

That's what the leading GCC Astronomer said on the radio the other day.... so I'm going with him! ;)

mission Jun 23rd 2016 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11981103)
You know you don't even know how close to the truth that statement really is ;)

oh I do :)

Bahtatboy Jun 23rd 2016 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11981276)
That's what the leading GCC Astronomer said on the radio the other day.... so I'm going with him! ;)

A leading astronomer. Dear god. That's like needing Stephen Hawking to score a darts match. (Actually, I'd like to see that.)

We KNOW when its going to happen, just not when it'll be visible which has sweet FA to do with astronomy.

jam25mack Jun 23rd 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11981461)
A leading astronomer. Dear god. That's like needing Stephen Hawking to score a darts match. (Actually, I'd like to see that.)

We KNOW when its going to happen, just not when it'll be visible which has sweet FA to do with astronomy.

Maybe he does a sideline in meteorology too.... :rofl:

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 25th 2016 7:40 pm

We arrived in Dubai last night around 7.30pm. Is the passport control/baggage claim always extremely slow and shit or is it just because of Ramadan:confused::confused:. I told the OH that we should travel with Singapore Airlines via Changi, but no, he wanted to come to Dubai:thumbdown:. It's nice and hot but I'm not impressed by the blink and the rich bitches. Travelling via Emirates has been a huge disappointment too, the service is poor and I felt we were on the Marie Celeste, as far as cabin crew were concerned on the Sydney to Dubai leg. Await the Dubai to Melbourne on Wednesday with trepidation!

iggle Jun 26th 2016 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11984529)
We arrived in Dubai last night around 7.30pm. Is the passport control/baggage claim always extremely slow and shit or is it just because of Ramadan:confused::confused:. I told the OH that we should travel with Singapore Airlines via Changi, but no, he wanted to come to Dubai:thumbdown:. It's nice and hot but I'm not impressed by the blink and the rich bitches. Travelling via Emirates has been a huge disappointment too, the service is poor and I felt we were on the Marie Celeste, as far as cabin crew were concerned on the Sydney to Dubai leg. Await the Dubai to Melbourne on Wednesday with trepidation!

Yes always slow, for Abu we add 1hour just to get out the airport.

Crew were rubbish, but were they hot? :rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2016 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11984529)

Complain to the head cabin crew next time, the purser is it?

I wrote to Emirates about my flight back from KL being nothing short of dogshit and the staff being atrocious.

They replied with the usual polite bollocks but said they can't do much, just complain on board about whatever is bothering you.

Emirates nowadays are hit or miss with service. The actual seats, entertainment systems and all that are a cut above 90% of other airlines. The attitudes of the hosties can be fantastic or offensively bad.

Good luck for the return leg.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 26th 2016 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11984844)
Yes always slow, for Abu we add 1hour just to get out the airport.

Crew were rubbish, but were they hot? :rofl:

Hardly saw them to determine whether they were hot or not! OH didn't appear interested in the ladies, he just wants decent service these days. The men certainly didn't do it for me.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 26th 2016 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11984882)
Complain to the head cabin crew next time, the purser is it?

I wrote to Emirates about my flight back from KL being nothing short of dogshit and the staff being atrocious.

They replied with the usual polite bollocks but said they can't do much, just complain on board about whatever is bothering you.

Emirates nowadays are hit or miss with service. The actual seats, entertainment systems and all that are a cut above 90% of other airlines. The attitudes of the hosties can be fantastic or offensively bad.

Good luck for the return leg.

Will do on the next leg although I hope to be sleeping for the majority of it. Friend of mine wrote to them too and she got what she describes as a "We don't give a shit letter" back from them.:thumbdown: Cheers .

iggle Jun 26th 2016 12:51 pm

I've always wanted to join the mile high club.