British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How's Ramadan going? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hows-ramadan-going-878923/)

DXBtoDOH Jun 15th 2016 6:38 am

How's Ramadan going?

Brilliant for me.

Finish work at 3ish. Take a short nap. Head to the beach around 5:45 and stay there through 7:30sh, after sunset. It's fantastic at the beach this week. Beautiful sunset, cooler air right by the water, water itself isn't too warm. Cycling, running or swimming. This is Dubai at its best. Afterwards meet a mate or two for a drink and meal. In bed by 11ish and up at 7:15ish.

Wish it could be like this all year round!

What about the rest of you? How are you using your Ramadan hours?

iggle Jun 15th 2016 6:44 am

Re: How's Ramadan going?

Working full hours. I hate everyone

(I am jealous of your post, and i am also glad you get to experience it)

Millhouse Jun 15th 2016 7:18 am

I love Ramadan - always have done.

Leaving here about 4-4.30 (two hours later that I would like to be honest) but still all good.

Dubaiexile Jun 15th 2016 7:47 am

For some reason it seems to be getting easier every year I stay here, I used to dread it trying to sneak a cigarette in or a quick drink of water......but with the food courts oen and even bars open in the day time it is a walk in the park!

mission Jun 15th 2016 8:04 am

I'm fasting and it's been fine so far....just the last hour before Iftar seems to drag...probably cause I start salivating about the food I'm going to eat :p

went to an awesome Iftar last Sat...the Al Majalis in Jumeriah Madinat - opposite Meen A Salaam hotel....absolutely stunning with great food...highly recommend this place...it's apparently the top one Dubai.

I finish work around 3ish then head to the mall to kill some time...then come home and prepare for Iftar....after Iftar I head out to my bounce fit class

I luv Ramadhan out here :thumbsup:

IKnowNothing Jun 15th 2016 8:13 am

Boring as hell, all work in Abu Dhabi stops and I get even more annoying than i usually am.

And the bars here don't open until 7.30pm or later, by which time i can't be bothered to go out.

mission Jun 15th 2016 8:57 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11973954)
Boring as hell, all work in Abu Dhabi stops and I get even more annoying than i usually am.

And the bars here don't open until 7.30pm or later, by which time i can't be bothered to go out.

such a miserable git :p

IKnowNothing Jun 15th 2016 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11973979)
such a miserable git :p

Ba'h humbug.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 15th 2016 11:14 am

It's a ****ing breeze this year eh.

Office for 8 (although I've been in before 7 a few days this week. Blimmin west coast of America). Finish at 4ish.
Walk home.
Nap.
Watch ALL the football with / without a beer.
Spend lots more time with the Mrs (she's normally gone before I wake in the mornings so we see each other twice a day which is a touch).
Watch ALL the football.
Smoke in the car park in the corner during the day.
Watch ALL the football
Local serves from 5pm.
Watch ALL the football.
Update my wall chart from the football.
Did I mention the football, that I watch ALL of it?

Irishbeekeeper Jun 15th 2016 11:20 am

10th day of cold turkey
loving it
but not too much coz I do plan on starting again after the month is over
awake till 4 am, have a decent breakfast and then sleep till 11am
work till 4pm and then back home
I do crave a cigarette now and then but its not that bad honestly

mission Jun 15th 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11974103)
10th day of cold turkey
loving it
but not too much coz I do plan on starting again after the month is over
awake till 4 am, have a decent breakfast and then sleep till 11am
work till 4pm and then back home
I do crave a cigarette now and then but its not that bad honestly

me too IRISH i go tee-total for the whole of ramadhan as well....come Eid i'll be having a large g&t :p

Bahtatboy Jun 15th 2016 5:38 pm

Plus ça change...

Start an hour earlier, finish an hour earlier (but actually no change because the clocks went forward an hour, so body-clock wise the same). Discreet about drinking around the locals in the office (who have shorter hours, so only an issue until 2pm); local resort an hour down the road is more-or-less Ramadan-free; city restaurants / bars closed, but usually only go once a fortnight anyway.

It's relatively sensibly-done here (in this city and the nearby resort town), but further up the coast it verges on eat/drink all night then wonder why they're unproductive in the day.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 16th 2016 4:55 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11974279)
me too IRISH i go tee-total for the whole of ramadhan as well....come Eid i'll be having a large g&t :p

**** that. Rammers night outs are among the best ever.

TheShed Jun 16th 2016 7:53 am

I was very shocked this morning. I was at Tasjeel registering my car an a youngish British girl was sat there brazenly eating an energy bar or something and drinking a bottle of water. When her number was called she still had the water and drank it in front of the poor emirati girl serving her.

Nobody (not even the locals or Paks) said a word to her. If I was braver, I would have had a go as its just so disrespectful.

hnd Jun 16th 2016 1:57 pm

It's going fine. However the only downside of living over here in Muscat is that the entire country is practically dry for the entire month. Room service alcohol for hotel guests only after sunset - absolutely no alcohol in bars or restaurants and all bottle shops shut for the whole month. Makes for some great supper parties at home though 😉