British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How's Bahrain These Days.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hows-bahrain-these-days-751767/)

Desert Dubliner Mar 16th 2012 9:42 am

How's Bahrain These Days....

I see quite a few folks on BE live in Bahrain. I have rather fond memories of the place. Lived there 2006-2009, both kids born there. In fact I may have seen some of you in the British Club. How is ti these days? My sources say it's brewing underground and will never be the same.

alfrombarking Mar 16th 2012 6:04 pm

Re: How's Bahrain These Days....

It's still shit

Ronnie Biggs Mar 16th 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 9956609)
It's still shit

What he said. Sadly.

Great place, going steadily downhill.

Desert Dubliner Mar 16th 2012 8:15 pm

Pitty. My mates say they smell tear gas often, those who live in Budaya. I would not like to have been there with a young family last year when it blew up. I've seen one civil war too many.

The Dean Mar 17th 2012 4:52 am

Sorry............... I'm confused by the replies. My view:

British Club was always shit (reminds me of Dagenham Lido).

Bahrain itself: Still fine. I'm a reasonably frequent visitor and would go back there permanently tomorrow.

Ronnie Biggs Mar 17th 2012 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9957404)

Bahrain itself: Still fine. I'm a reasonably frequent visitor and would go back there permanently tomorrow.

Well, good for you. Personally, when my kids are being subjected to teargas in the supposedly "safe area" that we live in (and they have been, several times) then I'd say it's pretty far from fine. I'd say it was time to hit the road. That's before you consider the weekly protests that restrict your movemenst at weekends, oil being poured onto the road, unexplained deaths etc etc. You've seen the Al Jazeera documentaries - you really think it's "fine"?? :confused:

I agree with you about the Brit Club though!

alfrombarking Mar 18th 2012 2:11 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9957404)

If you mean LIDL @ Dagenham...well they got a brand new one

The Dean Mar 18th 2012 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 9957814)
Well, good for you. Personally, when my kids are being subjected to teargas in the supposedly "safe area" that we live in (and they have been, several times) then I'd say it's pretty far from fine. I'd say it was time to hit the road. That's before you consider the weekly protests that restrict your movemenst at weekends, oil being poured onto the road, unexplained deaths etc etc. You've seen the Al Jazeera documentaries - you really think it's "fine"?? :confused:

I agree with you about the Brit Club though!

From my perspective, I think it's safe, if not 'fine', but I take your point.

The OP didn't mention going back (this time) with a young family, and I admit I'd hesitate before doing that, but I'm surrounded by adults now who would come and go as their lives take them.

Paracletus Mar 19th 2012 1:15 am

A Bahrainin friend of mine just sent me this today. 'An old man dies of a heart attack in a village, people riot and blame the police.' Says enough and glad I got out when I did, for entirely different reasons.