Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How's Bahrain These Days....

How's Bahrain These Days....

Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:42 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default How's Bahrain These Days....

I see quite a few folks on BE live in Bahrain. I have rather fond memories of the place. Lived there 2006-2009, both kids born there. In fact I may have seen some of you in the British Club. How is ti these days? My sources say it's brewing underground and will never be the same.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How's Bahrain These Days....

It's still shit
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking View Post
It's still shit
What he said. Sadly.

Great place, going steadily downhill.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 8:15 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Pitty. My mates say they smell tear gas often, those who live in Budaya. I would not like to have been there with a young family last year when it blew up. I've seen one civil war too many.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry............... I'm confused by the replies. My view:

British Club was always shit (reminds me of Dagenham Lido).

Bahrain itself: Still fine. I'm a reasonably frequent visitor and would go back there permanently tomorrow.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post

Bahrain itself: Still fine. I'm a reasonably frequent visitor and would go back there permanently tomorrow.
Well, good for you. Personally, when my kids are being subjected to teargas in the supposedly "safe area" that we live in (and they have been, several times) then I'd say it's pretty far from fine. I'd say it was time to hit the road. That's before you consider the weekly protests that restrict your movemenst at weekends, oil being poured onto the road, unexplained deaths etc etc. You've seen the Al Jazeera documentaries - you really think it's "fine"??

I agree with you about the Brit Club though!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post

If you mean LIDL @ Dagenham...well they got a brand new one
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs View Post
Well, good for you. Personally, when my kids are being subjected to teargas in the supposedly "safe area" that we live in (and they have been, several times) then I'd say it's pretty far from fine. I'd say it was time to hit the road. That's before you consider the weekly protests that restrict your movemenst at weekends, oil being poured onto the road, unexplained deaths etc etc. You've seen the Al Jazeera documentaries - you really think it's "fine"??

I agree with you about the Brit Club though!
From my perspective, I think it's safe, if not 'fine', but I take your point.

The OP didn't mention going back (this time) with a young family, and I admit I'd hesitate before doing that, but I'm surrounded by adults now who would come and go as their lives take them.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

A Bahrainin friend of mine just sent me this today. 'An old man dies of a heart attack in a village, people riot and blame the police.' Says enough and glad I got out when I did, for entirely different reasons.