British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   how old is the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-old-uk-594894/)

lionheart Mar 2nd 2009 6:28 am

Re: how old is the UK?

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7336563)
no, that's the small print - it's the oldest current country... like yeah, the roman empire was far bigger, but it ain't here now, is it?

France has had its borders changed in the last century, Germany and Italy were only formed in the 19th century, America is 200 years old... Spain was pretty fragmented. Russia, China, India... all had regime changes in the last hundred years...

Hmm, thinking about it, maybe my tenous fact also has something to do with our government not changing either.

Oh, I don't know!

Are you deliberately ignoring Greece? And how about Japan and possibly Thailand? Just thinking aloud...

Bison Mar 2nd 2009 6:29 am

we have the right to live our life and decide it the way we want. isn't it? and if there are some mistakes in the polcies that can be corrected we should be given our time to do that.
You'll all be riding camels again soon if you don't start learning from your mistakes. How many times do we have to tell you not to drive with you child on your lap, or with your hazard lights on in the rain, Emirates ID problems, as far as I can see you haven't learnt from that cock up either. I could be hear all day, but then again I will hold my hands up, the UK is just as bad on other subjects, so it seems that it's not a local thing.

I think it's a human thing, global in fact. Every Country has made mistakes and are not learning from them. Some have learnt on some mistakes, some haven't others have made totally different mistakes and continue to do so.

We could judge the UAE on a particular subject, but they could judge us on something else.

For example, I mentioned some UAE things above, but something the UK could learn from the UAE is to look after their own nationals better, give us higher pay rises cos we are UK Locals, give us the phat of our land like the locals enjoy from the oil money.

Just a thought.....

PS: According to tradition, San Marino is known as the world's oldest republic. The tiny republic was founded by a Christian stonemason named Marino (or Saint Marinus) on September 3, in the year 301 C.E.

Jammy_Dodgers Mar 2nd 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7336594)
I read it and it says

In 1066, the Normans invaded and conquered England. There was much civil war and battles with other nations throughout the Middle Ages. During the Renaissance, England was ruled by the Tudors. England had conquered Wales in the 12th century and was then united with Scotland in the early 18th century to form the Kingdom of Great Britain. Following the Industrial Revolution, Great Britain ruled a worldwide empire, of which, physically, little remains. However, its cultural impact is widespread and deep in many countries of the present day.

it proves that until the 18th century it was not the way it is today. however lets assume that UK is 2000 years old not only 1500 as you say or 300 as i assumed. it means UK was given alot of time to be what it is today!!!!! you are avoiding the main idea of the orginal post :) feel free to read it again.

No, I fully appreciate your original post.

Regardless of the "formation" of the UK as a political entity, you cannot base that as a starting point. Our history has evolved rather than having a fixed point in time. For example, we still use a fair part of Roman law as a basis in our judicial system.

Its easier for the UAE to plot their evolution, there was pretty much non until the discovery of oil.
Before then, there were just Bedu, pearl divers and nomads which was unchanged for thousands of years.
Needless to say, if it were not for the discovery of oil, the UAE would still be a third world country and life would be pretty much unchanged

Jammy_Dodgers Mar 2nd 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7336608)
can you tell me what you know about wahabi's and who are they and who represents them and can you give me examples of their unprogressive behaviors?

and can you conect it to proper sources or valid documentation?

Have you never been to Saudi?

B Bear Mar 2nd 2009 6:39 am

.I think you will find the treaty of union is around 300 years

AnotherWorld Mar 2nd 2009 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7336608)
can you tell me what you know about wahabi's and who are they and who represents them and can you give me examples of their unprogressive behaviors?

and can you conect it to proper sources or valid documentation?

I cant elaborate right now as Im at work.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0401107_2.html

Some may not take this article seriously since it published in an american paper which may or may not be accused as being "liberal biased".

Jammy_Dodgers Mar 2nd 2009 6:46 am

Originally Posted by B Bear (Post 7336637)
.I think you will find the treaty of union is around 300 years

Agreed, but the OP question was about evolution of the country, it's policies and culture.

This did not start 300 years ago.

Charismatic Mar 2nd 2009 6:48 am

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;7336545]

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 7336535)

Well Stonehenge is 3,000 years old to start with! :p

They say Skara Brae was occupied from 3100 to 2500 BC, so over 5000 years ago :).

However most historians put the earliest signs of human life on the island at 500,000 to 700,000 years ago.

Blue Cat Mar 2nd 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7336656)
Agreed, but the OP question was about evolution of the country, it's policies and culture.

nor did their views on woman etc, the main difference is that this is an Islamic Country and whilst it is trying to imitate the West it is being run as an Islamic State, the two don't mix whichever way you look at it.

Hello.Kitty Mar 2nd 2009 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7336656)

yeah, for example, apparently the first mention of individuals having the right to not be unlawfully detained was in the 12th century in England... the Habeas Corpus itself being written in 1679 - 110 years before the Declaration of Human Rights.

MacScot Mar 2nd 2009 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7336581)
As a political entity maybe, but we have certainly been out of the "dark ages" for a longer time than that

Yes...agreed...but I was simply answering the question posed in the thread title. :)

shiva Mar 2nd 2009 7:27 am

[QUOTE=Charismatic;7336662]

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7336545)
They say Skara Brae was occupied from 3100 to 2500 BC, so over 5000 years ago :).

However most historians put the earliest signs of human life on the island at 500,000 to 700,000 years ago.

yup earliest hominid remains were found at a place called boxgrove in west sussex and date back to approximately 500,000 yrs ago. the earliest homo sapiens remains date to 27,000bc and were found in wales, some would say not much has changed since in wales either.

As for "britains" history as a country, the early hominids were not nearly as backward as popular culture has us believe and it is more than lilkely that we brits have had a sense of country, culture family and tribe for at least 50,000 yrs.

the problem i see with the UAE is that it has actually lost its sense of culture and distinct identity in the last 20 yrs. As the older generation who grew up as bedu/pearl divers dies off the sense and connection with history is being eroded. Now we are left with a bunch of spoilt brats who assume some god given right to abuse everyone whos not emirati, assume a god given right to riches and greed and actively ignore even those emiratis who struggle everyday with extreme poverty. Frankly the many/most of this new generation disgust me and I'm fairly certain would also disgust their ancestors.

Until the younger generation wake up and actually have to work/struggle for a living this situation will not change, which is why i personally believe that the financial apocalypse is the best thing that could happen to the UAE and middle east in general. maybe in 2-3 yrs time there will be a return to reality for those delusional young emiratis in their lambo's and bling.

Any country where 97% of the local population are employed by the government in jobs where the standards of work are so low as to be laughable as actual work, where they are rewarded financially for non performance and have imediate access to whatever they desire, has no future and when this same group who are increasingly anti expat get what they actually want by removing the expats they will get exactly what they deserve, a country in ruins which they are unable and unqualified to run.

i should add that my view is actually towrds most of the "big city" emiratis, as the rural and poorer emiratis still seem to have a sense of honour, hospitality and common sense, those i have spoken to believe most residents of dubai and abu dhabi to be insane "city arabs"

Hello.Kitty Mar 2nd 2009 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7336566)
i sense alot of negative in this post.

no, not a lot of negativity.. just a bit of frustration.

Respect has to be earned... and to earn respect, you have to show respect.

No-one (inclding countries and governments) should expect anyone to respect their culture, laws or ethics if they themselves don't respect other people's culture, laws and ethics. "Do unto others" and all that.

Hence, in a multi-cultural society an us-and-them/ nationalistic approach will never command respect and will always attract discontent and criticism.

That is what the West has learnt the hard way... although some western countries still have double-standards, but look where that has got them!

My original point was that the UAE can learn so much from observing other's mistakes, and so therefore need not make as many of its own.

Inselaffen Mar 2nd 2009 7:43 am

Strictly speaking the UK has only been in existance for just over 300 years. It only became the UK through the Act of Union in 1707

MacScot Mar 2nd 2009 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7336766)
Strictly speaking the UK has only been in existance for just over 300 years. It only became the UK through the Act of Union in 1707

Not so...that is Great Britain (1707 acts of union between the kingdoms of Scotland and England)...UK didn't come into existence until 1 January 1801 when Ireland joined (act of union)