Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How much cash to bring?

How much cash to bring?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default How much cash to bring?

I land a week on saturday and will have 2 or so weeks before I get paid out there - how many Dirham should I bring to see me through? Its only for food and drink. I have no idea whatsoever and i'm waiting for a new bank card to arrive as I sat on it a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much cash to bring?

I wouldn't change money in the UK, wait until you get here, you will get a better rate.
As for how much..I guess that will depend on what and where you are going to eat..Dinner in a nice restaurant with a bottle of wne is about 350/500+
I spend about 400dhs a week on basic groceries at home and an average of 1000/1500dhs out and about at weekends
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

If it's only for food and drink, AED 1,000 / week should be no problem, unless you plan on being out drinking until light o'clock every night.

Bring some local currency from the UK to get you going - I have always found, surprisingly, that Marks and Spencer have very good rates, if there is one near you. Money can be changed easily enough over here, so bring the rest in GB Pounds.

Expenditure can be high or low here - depends what you like. I frequently go to the small Indian eateries of Bur Dubai, where I live. Nice healthy food plus fresh fruit juice for under AED 20.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
..Dinner in a nice restaurant with a bottle of wne is about 350/500+
If you are even a little selective and avoid 5* rip-off joints, you can enjoy a nice meal with a glass of wine for AED150 quite easily.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:59 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I land a week on saturday and will have 2 or so weeks before I get paid out there - how many Dirham should I bring to see me through? Its only for food and drink. I have no idea whatsoever and i'm waiting for a new bank card to arrive as I sat on it a few weeks ago.
If you are going to be eating out every day/night and drinking.
I'd go for about 1kGBP you can manage on half that amount but depends if you want the just in case security if you have no other access to money for those two weeks, which you never know could stretch into 3 weeks.
It is difficult to say as dont know what places you intend to go to or how much you like a drink. That will be your biggest expense.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that women are very cheap here...so that's good
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MataHari
I heard that women are very cheap here...so that's good
True enough
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
you can get cash out on your uk cash card, so don't fret about bringing shed loads of cash...

MM, xx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
you can get cash out on your uk cash card, so don't fret about bringing shed loads of cash...

MM, xx
But surely they charge you an arm and a leg for the service?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But surely they charge you an arm and a leg for the service?
couple of percent i think...you get charged to exchange at home, and you are stuck with carrying all that cash round with you...

MM, xx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

Or quickly open an account that doesn't charge you for overseas withdrawls....then you can use internet banking to move money into it if required from your UK account.?? I think Nationwide do one. If you are a "premier" or equivalent customer with your bank you probably won't get charged.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:33 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
He can't he sat on it!...