British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   how to get married (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-get-married-908264/)

mission Jan 22nd 2018 9:22 am

how to get married

and no i am not getting married.
A friend messaged me last night about a friend of hers who wants to get married in Dubai.
The guy is a UAE resident and the woman is a british national. Both muslims. They have searched online but apparently it's very confusing. If anyone knows what is required to get married in Dubai, I would as ever, appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Millhouse Jan 22nd 2018 9:50 am

Re: how to get married

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12424342)
and no i am not getting married.
A friend messaged me last night about a friend of hers who wants to get married in Dubai.
The guy is a UAE resident and the woman is a british national. Both muslims. They have searched online but apparently it's very confusing. If anyone knows what is required to get married in Dubai, I would as ever, appreciate your help.
Thanks.

It’s easy. You fly to the seyshells and do it there. Much simpler.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 22nd 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12424362)
It’s easy. You fly to the seyshells and do it there. Much simpler.

Is that near the Seychelles?

:lol::lol::lol:

Millhouse Jan 22nd 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12424373)
Is that near the Seychelles?

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:
Had to put it in a way mission would get it.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 22nd 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12424377)

Hahahahhahahahaha. Brilliant.

UKCityGent Jan 22nd 2018 10:17 am

http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/Article...egory=Citizens

However if the bridegroom is not from the UK but the bride is from the UK then I would go to the UK and get married there.

When I married my wife getting her a spouse visa was a nightmare as we didn't marry in the UK..

Irishbeekeeper Jan 22nd 2018 2:48 pm

Dubai courts
there are some form of 'typing' people there as well I believe, otherwise just ask any reputable typing to make you a set of documents and then get a time and a date from the judge
I was the witness for sister in laws wedding here, was fairly simple really...apart from the fact that I had to get up at the Peasant time of 8 AM
Dont think I would get up at that ungodly hour for my own wedding...not that I need one
and oh yeah Mission....'asking for a friend eh?'.....riiiiiiiiiiiight ;)

mission Jan 23rd 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12424377)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12424379)
Hahahahhahahahaha. Brilliant.

you pair of p*ss-takers lol

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12424380)

However if the bridegroom is not from the UK but the bride is from the UK then I would go to the UK and get married there.

When I married my wife getting her a spouse visa was a nightmare as we didn't marry in the UK..

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12424623)
Dubai courts
there are some form of 'typing' people there as well I believe, otherwise just ask any reputable typing to make you a set of documents and then get a time and a date from the judge
I was the witness for sister in laws wedding here, was fairly simple really...apart from the fact that I had to get up at the Peasant time of 8 AM
Dont think I would get up at that ungodly hour for my own wedding...not that I need one
and oh yeah Mission....'asking for a friend eh?'.....riiiiiiiiiiiight ;)

errr once bitten, twice shy:huh:

frequentflyer1234 Jan 24th 2018 1:24 am

I got married at the courthouse in Abu Dhabi, neither of us are Muslim. There are a lot of hoops to jump through.

1. If the girls father is not attending the wedding then a letter is required from him to say it’s ok.
2. Get the letter attested.
3. Get the attested letter verified by your government
4. Get the attested and verified letter verified again by the UAE embassy in your home country
5. Get the letter translated
6. Get the letter stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE
7. Get the letter stamped by the Judiciary in the UAE
8. Both get a pre marriage medical check and certificate
9. Go and see the judge to ask him to act on behalf of the woman’s father
10. Bring 3 Muslim men with you unless the woman is another faith then you’ll need 1 Muslim man and 1man representing her faith
11. Get married
12. Don’t forget the dowry like I did! I ended up getting my wife for the bargain price of 600 dirhams!!

Good luck

SanDiegogirl Jan 24th 2018 1:43 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12424380)

Can't just go to the UK and get married.

If they couple do NOT want to live in the UK, the non Brit spouse still needs to get a Marriage VISITOR visa to marry in the UK.

mission Jan 24th 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234 (Post 12426125)
I got married at the courthouse in Abu Dhabi, neither of us are Muslim. There are a lot of hoops to jump through.

1. If the girls father is not attending the wedding then a letter is required from him to say it’s ok.
4. Get the attested and verified letter verified again by the UAE embassy in your home country
10. Bring 3 Muslim men with you unless the woman is another faith then you’ll need 1 Muslim man and 1man representing her faith
11. Get married
12. Don’t forget the dowry like I did! I ended up getting my wife for the bargain price of 600 dirhams!!

Good luck

bl00dy nora:eek:

weasel decentral Jan 24th 2018 10:04 am

11. Get married

Good luck

You hardly needed to type that out, it sounds like a pretty straightforward and intuitive procedure;)

DXBtoDOH Jan 24th 2018 10:43 am

Good luck

What happens if daddy is dead?

frequentflyer1234 Jan 24th 2018 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12426336)
What happens if daddy is dead?

Another male family member and a death certificate.

Mathguy Feb 18th 2018 12:53 pm

LOL