How fast do you read?

Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How fast do you read?

There was no pictures so was bolloxed

I scored the national council estate average
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

So the average is said to be 250 wpm? Roughly four words per second......... that is very slow, so I'd like to know where that statistic came from.

Do it the other way round - find a passage of 40 words and see if it takes you ten seconds to read it........

........ it won't.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Only 382 wpm, but I did work out which book the extract came from before I had finshed reading it.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:37 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
So the average is said to be 250 wpm? Roughly four words per second......... that is very slow, so I'd like to know where that statistic came from.

Do it the other way round - find a passage of 40 words and see if it takes you ten seconds to read it........

........ it won't.
I noticed 3rd graders were on about 150wpm average college students at 450wpm and executives and professors on high 5/600s.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

You read 521 words per minute.
That makes you 108% faster than the national average.

Think I would be faster if I was reading from paper mind. Not a great fan of reading off a screen.

Also, I find that as you get into a book and start to learn the characters you speed up as you naturally skim more and more.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:26 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
You read 521 words per minute.
That makes you 108% faster than the national average.

Think I would be faster if I was reading from paper mind. Not a great fan of reading off a screen.

Also, I find that as you get into a book and start to learn the characters you speed up as you naturally skim more and more.
Good point, I always print to proof read documents. Much easier.

Books are loaded with waffle so skimming is easy.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:59 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I...err...em....ah.

1,145 words. 358% faster than the national average.

Not that it really means anything.