Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to eat left handed in Middle East

How to eat left handed in Middle East

Old Feb 25th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to eat left handed in Middle East

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The second indicates how you assess people (or how you believe your fellow Arabs assess people). A country's people are a laughing stock because they have no wealth, but suddenly become respected because they do? That pretty-much sums you up.
In fairness to Red, I think he may have only been making an observation or could it also be his personal opinion. I have read the same thing from Lebanese, that the Gulfies are backward tribesman. Many years ago, on one of the mainstream media news channels here in the US, a reporter was talkiing with an average Iraqi chap (in Iraq); the chap mentioned that Arabs only respect power.

What Red says is the norm for the region though, because Gulfies do not respect people who come from poor countries. They only respect wealth , power and people of lighter skinned phenotype.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 3:36 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
In fairness to Red, I think he may have only been making an observation or could it also be his personal opinion. I have read the same thing from Lebanese, that the Gulfies are backward tribesman. Many years ago, on one of the mainstream media news channels here in the US, a reporter was talkiing with an average Iraqi chap (in Iraq); the chap mentioned that Arabs only respect power.

What Red says is the norm for the region though, because Gulfies do not respect people who come from poor countries. They only respect wealth , power and people of lighter skinned phenotype.

theres a lot more to it than it seems
the gulfies dont like the iranians because technically they are of the same tribe from older days i guess and they just hate that fact

in the older days, it was the libyans and the iraqis who were the big players with their wealth and armies, hence they looked down on the biddus (nomads) of the gulf and ofcourse the shias of iran

the sauds and the wahabs look down on everyone because of the religious power base they have

and I look down all the time from my balcony and all I see are people just trying to make a living
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper

theres a lot more to it than it seems
the gulfies dont like the iranians because technically they are of the same tribe from older days i guess and they just hate that fact
Are you referring to certain Iranian tribes who hail from Iran's coastal regions and maybee of Arab descent?

My confusion stems from the fact that most Iranians are speakers of Indo-Iranian languages while Arabs are speakers of a Semetic language.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:53 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Are you referring to certain Iranian tribes who hail from Iran's coastal regions and maybee of Arab descent?

My confusion stems from the fact that most Iranians are speakers of Indo-Iranian languages while Arabs are speakers of a Semetic language.
Yes, the coastal tribes
And you can see a lot of similarities in the Iranians and some of the Emaraties features as well, the Pakistani Baluchis included

I am not an expert in languages mate but I think the Persian language was influenced a lot by the Arabic language after the conquests of Khalid bin Waleed and then later on by other generals.
The Iranians did manage to keep their language intact but a lot of Arabic words were inducted with time and even the alphabet changed to an Arabic style.
Case in point : Urdu: Arabic letters, has almost no words of its own, most are Arabic, Persian, Hindi, English (yes I know), Pushto and Punjabi

Last edited by Irishbeekeeper; Feb 25th 2014 at 4:54 pm. Reason: Iphone