Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to eat left handed in Middle East

How to eat left handed in Middle East

Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:26 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to eat left handed in Middle East

Originally Posted by redShark
Any way, I am quite aware that this subject of Europe learning from Muslims is a bit of a sensitive subject so I try to avoid it particularly in this forum.
Very wise. Much the same as I avoid talking about particle physics to physicists. Also closely related to the view that a physicist would form of me if I started to instruct him about particle physics...

ps Just in case I'm being too obtuse for you, I don't know anything about particle physics.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Very wise. Much the same as I avoid talking about particle physics to physicists. Also closely related to the view that a physicist would form of me if I started to instruct him about particle physics...

ps Just in case I'm being too obtuse for you, I don't know anything about particle physics.
I do. They're small and shit like that.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I said Muslims introduced the soap to Europe not invented it.
But as I posted the Europeans were using soap hundreds of years before islam was invented. So please explain how muslims time travelled to do this.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikewot
But as I posted the Europeans were using soap hundreds of years before islam was invented. So please explain how muslims time travelled to do this.
A quick google search revealed this:

“Syria was renowned for its hard soap, which was pleasant to use for toilet purposes. Archaeological excavations found soap works dating from the eighth century. Geographers of the tenth century reported that Nabulus in Palestine was prominent in its soap exports. Soap was manufactured in the other Mediterranean Arab-Islamic lands including Muslim Spain where olive oil was abundant. In 1200 AD Fez alone had in it 27 soap manufacturers. In the thirteenth century, hard soap was imported by Europe from the Arab lands of the Mediterranean and was shipped across the Alps to northern Europe via Italy.”

Sherwood Taylor, op. cit., pp. 132-133. See also Lopez, Robert S., and Irving WW. Raymond, Medieval Trade in the Mediterranean World, Columbia University Press, New York, 2001, p. 113.

and more search:
It was probably due to the religious requirement of frequent bathing and washing among Muslims that they developed soap in a form that is still in current use. Both the Romans and the ancient Egyptians had their own versions, but the Arabs’ recipe use vegetable oils, sodium hydroxide and perfumes, and aromatics like thyme oil.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:11 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

A quick google search revealed this:
A certain type of soap but not
As for the soap, was it not the early Muslims who introduced the soap to Europe,
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:21 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to the conclusion that our fishy friend is not in fact a troll
He's not smart enough for a start an his posts are so ridiculous as to be useless as troll posts.
In short he genuinely is that obtuse and not jut a troll
Old Feb 21st 2014, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember these Saracens, Moors and Turks were the first to distil alcohol ! They are capable of great trickery and are clearly agents of The Evil One.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikewot
A certain type of soap but not
So why did you stop short of elaborating on those other types of soap that the European house holds before the 13th century were using for bathing and cleaning their hands after toilets with?
you see, if were conducting an objective discussion here you would have rather asked me what are those religious requirements that require the Muslims to frequently bath and wash!! Actually this is a simple question any Muslim knows the answer to, go on Irishbeekeeper tell them the answer.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

So why did you stop short of elaborating on those other types of soap that the European house holds before the 13th century were using for bathing and cleaning their hands after toilets with?
you see, if were conducting an objective discussion here you would have rather asked me what are those religious requirements that require the Muslims to frequently bath and wash!! Actually this is a simple question any Muslim knows the answer to, go on Irishbeekeeper tell them the answer.
Boring.

Facts are as follows;

It doesn't matter who invented soap, the main thing is that the western world uses it far more than anyone from this part of the world. I've met many more stinky people here than I did in England.

What you think is horseshit, I'm not interested. I'm right, you're wrong, I'm a hero, you're a ****. Honestly, you're views make you lower than pond scum and nobody ****ing cares. You're boring, you're a shit human being and you can just **** off arguing about inane things for the sale of it you helmet.

Mods, don't delete this, it's not a personal attack, it's all fact.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Equally, if you step into a Mosque you should step with the right foot and step you out with the left foot.
So the world outside the Mosque is not pleasant?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Muslims to frequently bath and wash!! Actually this is a simple question any Muslim knows the answer to, go on Irishbeekeeper tell them the answer.
Well Red, in the ancient world the Indus Valley Civilization is famous for its houses having a toilet , shower and gulleys to carry waste water away. It is the first civ where the house of the average person had such amenities whereas in other contemporary civs, only a few enjoyed such pleasures. I only mention this because it wasn't Muslims who were first to instill the importance of frequent bathing/showering.

Maori in NZ used a plant that has natural antibacterial qualities , as a soap for bathing. I don't recal the name of the plant though.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:58 am
Account Closed

if were conducting an objective discussion here
You are incapable of doing so because your lens view is very restricted.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

So, according to your theory, until Islam came along nobody had the sense to bathe and wash frequently. I--and the majority of people--don't need a religion to tell me to do so, I'm capable of thinking for myself.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Boring.

Facts are as follows;

It doesn't matter who invented soap, the main thing is that the western world uses it far more than anyone from this part of the world. I've met many more stinky people here than I did in England.

What you think is horseshit, I'm not interested. I'm right, you're wrong, I'm a hero, you're a ****. Honestly, you're views make you lower than pond scum and nobody ****ing cares. You're boring, you're a shit human being and you can just **** off arguing about inane things for the sale of it you helmet.

blimey …. That was one hell of a fit, ….
I see it was late Friday night when you wrote it, so you must had been completely pissed and out of control.

But in any case, I tell you this son; I certainly am not going to step down to this level of discussion because you’ve not presented any argument but just filth.

I actually did state earlier that this is a sensitive subject but I did not quite anticipate that would stir up such emotions. In all honesty this forum is not really a suitable place for intellectual discussion, that is why I am far more interested in funny threads where I can share a joke and have a laugh than discussing something more serious. If people are happy with what they believe in, I don’t see why I need to disturb them!!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Boring.

Facts are as follows;

Karma for that...and is your sister a pain now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.