Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How to eat left handed in Middle East

How to eat left handed in Middle East

Old Feb 17th 2014, 2:27 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to eat left handed in Middle East

Originally Posted by redShark
So if you step into the toilet, for example, it is recommended that you step with your left foot and when you step out you do it with the right foot.
As both feet are going to be present when you are in the toilet, what are the consequences of going in right footed?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And remember you must never use any of the 99 names of God while in the toilet !
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
You're disabled, you have allowances. The people here petitioned the government to adopt western labels for disabled persons (special needs) so as not to hurt peoples feelings. If they challenge you on anything with your left hand and you show your disability they'll be mortified at what they've done.

As a leftie, I have encountered some locals who don't like things being exchanged with the right hand (one refused outright recently,) and had others watch you eat left handed with nervous apprehension. I just make light of it, and tell them that's what TP is for.

I've encountered those whose handwriting displays they have been forced to learn to write with the wrong hand, and those who freely write left handed and no one says anything. One thing you'll soon learn is this is a country of contradictions.
Lefties are weird!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tesh, your name reminds me of an old tv commercial, ‘Tesh got a Toshiba’. Any way, there are some truth in what you are saying. Eating with the right hand is a recommended Islamic tradition practiced by the devout. It is not, however, a sin if you do otherwise, but the idea originates from the concept that the right hand is for eating and the left hand is for doing what you have to do when you are in the toilet. In general the right part of the body is dedicated for doing the pleasant things and the left side is for doing the others. So if you step into the toilet, for example, it is recommended that you step with your left foot and when you step out you do it with the right foot. Equally, if you step into a Mosque you should step with the right foot and step you out with the left foot. This Islamic toilet etiquette is always given as an example by the Muslim scholars to explain how Islam interferes in a human’s life, down to the small details
And the rest of the world manages with soap, cutlery and washing their hands...

Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:35 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

You've obviously never been to the sub-continent...
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow

Good for you. But have you ever wondered how many millions of people in the history perished for lack of guidance on personal hygiene? As for the soap, was it not the early Muslims who introduced the soap to Europe, and later on the shampoo?
Speaking of cutlery, I suppose it all depends on what food one is eating. I, for example, eat sushi with chop sticks, roast dinner with knife and folk, and when it comes to rice and curry I definitely tuck in with my fingers and quite proudly so. The people I find quite boring are those who eat everything with knife and folk, …Oh for God sake give me a break!!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:38 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

As for the soap, was it not the early Muslims who introduced the soap to Europe, and later on the shampoo?
SIGH! There is evidence that soap was made in Babylon and Egypt, as well as many other places in the world including in Rome which appears to have discovered it themselves. There is no evidence that it was muslims who introduced it to Europe. In fact if you read below the Romans were using soap hundreds of years before Islam was invented in 610AD.
You invariably twist everything to your worldview, which taints your every comment.
Oh for God sake give me a break!!
The ancient Babylonians are credited as the ones who invented soap and evidence for this are Babylonian clay containers dated at 2800 B.C. Inscriptions on the containers present the earliest known written soap recipe and they state that the product was made from fats combined with wood ash and water. These early references to soap and soap making were for the use of soap to wash wool and cotton in preparation for weaving into cloth, soap was not necessarily used to wash the body.

The Ebers papyrus (Egypt, 1550 BC) reveals that ancient Egyptians combined both animal and vegetable oils with alkaline salts to produce a soap-like substance. They used this mixture for treating sores, skin diseases as well as washing.

According to the Pliny the Elder, the Phoenicians made soap from goat's tallow and wood ashes in 600 BC.

The ancient Greeks were said to have combined lye and ashes as a cleanser for pots and the statues of their gods.

Early Romans used urine to make soap like substance in the first century A.D. Later, they combined goat's tallow and the ashes of the beech tree to make both hard and soft soap products. The discovery of an entire soap factory in the ruins of Pompeii, one of the cities destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D suggest that the industry was established and that soap was widely known in the Roman Empire. During the early century of the Common Era, although the Romans are well known for their public baths, generally soap was not used for personal cleaning; it was used by physicians in the treatment of disease. Soap for personal cleaning and hygiene became popular during the later centuries of the Roman era.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you. But have you ever wondered how many millions of people in the history perished for lack of guidance on personal hygiene? As for the soap, was it not the early Muslims who introduced the soap to Europe, and later on the shampoo?
Speaking of cutlery, I suppose it all depends on what food one is eating. I, for example, eat sushi with chop sticks, roast dinner with knife and folk, and when it comes to rice and curry I definitely tuck in with my fingers and quite proudly so. The people I find quite boring are those who eat everything with knife and folk, …Oh for God sake give me a break!!
glad to see you eat the roast dinner with friends - can't be easy picking up the brussels with just a knife though.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

So, the differing uses of the left and right hand were, by your own admission, borne out of hygienic necessity. It could sensibly be concluded then that the teachings to avoid this, overtime, become part of a religious dictate in order to encourage there uptake. As such with the hygiene standards that many today are able to access the requirement for them to live by these rules is out dated and no longer relevant, as are many of the dictates created by religion.

I find people who refuse to eat certain foods because they are told not too for reasons which have been disproven and are hundreds of years out of date boring and short sighted.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
So, the differing uses of the left and right hand were, by your own admission, borne out of hygienic necessity. It could sensibly be concluded then that the teachings to avoid this, overtime, become part of a religious dictate in order to encourage there uptake. As such with the hygiene standards that many today are able to access the requirement for them to live by these rules is out dated and no longer relevant, as are many of the dictates created by religion.

I find people who refuse to eat certain foods because they are told not too for reasons which have been disproven and are hundreds of years out of date boring and short sighted.
Science v dogma, yet again.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:34 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
SIGH! There is evidence that soap was made in Babylon and Egypt, as well as many other places in the world including in Rome which appears to have discovered it themselves. There is no evidence that it was muslims who introduced it to Europe. In fact if you read below the Romans were using soap hundreds of years before Islam was invented in 610AD.
You invariably twist everything to your worldview, which taints your every comment.

The ancient Babylonians are credited as the ones who invented soap and evidence for this are Babylonian clay containers dated at 2800 B.C. Inscriptions on the containers present the earliest known written soap recipe and they state that the product was made from fats combined with wood ash and water. These early references to soap and soap making were for the use of soap to wash wool and cotton in preparation for weaving into cloth, soap was not necessarily used to wash the body.

The Ebers papyrus (Egypt, 1550 BC) reveals that ancient Egyptians combined both animal and vegetable oils with alkaline salts to produce a soap-like substance. They used this mixture for treating sores, skin diseases as well as washing.

According to the Pliny the Elder, the Phoenicians made soap from goat's tallow and wood ashes in 600 BC.

The ancient Greeks were said to have combined lye and ashes as a cleanser for pots and the statues of their gods.

Early Romans used urine to make soap like substance in the first century A.D. Later, they combined goat's tallow and the ashes of the beech tree to make both hard and soft soap products. The discovery of an entire soap factory in the ruins of Pompeii, one of the cities destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D suggest that the industry was established and that soap was widely known in the Roman Empire. During the early century of the Common Era, although the Romans are well known for their public baths, generally soap was not used for personal cleaning; it was used by physicians in the treatment of disease. Soap for personal cleaning and hygiene became popular during the later centuries of the Roman era.

so what your basically saying is that boys have been going blind since the BCs?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the troll who started this thread has really got you all going.. even getting someone to change the words of the advert from TOSH to Tesh got a toshiba, well done Tesh.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

NB the expression "kak-handed" for left-handed. What did our ancient ancestors do before toilet paper ? You cleaned the kak with the left hand ! Ergo we are really Muslims !

I would post more but it is time for my bacon butty. Excuse me.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:59 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
NB the expression "kak-handed" for left-handed. What did our ancient ancestors do before toilet paper ? You cleaned the kak with the left hand ! Ergo we are really Muslims !

I would post more but it is time for my bacon butty. Excuse me.
in most of the world a handful of leaves but when the option is a handful of sand i can see why you'd forgoe the sand and just use a hand
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikewot

I said Muslims introduced the soap to Europe not invented it. Sure the Romans used something similar to soap but they didn't introduce it to Europe. There are no evidence (to my knowledge) that suggests that the people of the Isles of Britain, for example, used soap during or after the Romans had left them after nearly 400 years of rule.
Any way, I am quite aware that this subject of Europe learning from Muslims is a bit of a sensitive subject so I try to avoid it particularly in this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.