Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How did the Lions end up in the UK (Eng/Scot/Wales)

How did the Lions end up in the UK (Eng/Scot/Wales)

Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough
Default How did the Lions end up in the UK (Eng/Scot/Wales)

Just looking at the pregame shows and symbols of African countries and noted the prominence of the "LION" in the crests and merchandise...
Will this be an issue for 2012?

While lions are indigenous to and symbolise Africa and i cannot recall lions being indigenous to England so how did they get on the English crest/Kit?

The more learned amongst us can advise
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did the Lions end up in the UK (Eng/Scot/Wales)

The lion is part of the royal coat of arms so as long as we have a queen we'll have a lion and a unicorn! Note why the English team is often referred to as the Lions....

The lion symbolizes dauntless courage and the unicorn is virtue and strength. Makes you proud to be British!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_England

Last edited by kittycat1; Jun 12th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kittycat1
The lion is part of the royal coat of arms so as long as we have a queen we'll have a lion and a unicorn! Note why the English team is often referred to as the Lions....

The lion symbolizes dauntless courage and the unicorn is virtue and strength. Makes you proud to be British!

The englsih team is not referred to as the Lions. Thats the british and Irish lions (rugby) and the Unicorn is actually for scotland! At one time the unicorn featured on many scottish coat of arms and when the act of union came about, the almagamation of the lion and the unicorn was seen as the joining of england and scotland.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And from pedant's corner, zoukla, UK = England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Island; GB = England, Scotland & Wales.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Me too....

I would think the rose would be more appropriate but then that would show too much of a softer side.
Not much of a sports fan but of all the sports despite living in Scotland and surrounded by every second bloke at Uni playing rugby. Just cannot get the game and still not taken by it...seen too many bloody noses and dentures i guess...

Anyway folks i would just love to know when the Lion (s) became incorporated into the crests coat of arms, Bank of E etc.Not sure reasons for lion hold up but i suppose when i get the dates it will all make sense.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Zoukla, its like a thousand years ago, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_c...United_Kingdom

am pretty sure you could have managed a google search all on your own for that one!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:01 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1

Except we don't have a British football team do we? We prefer to divide up on old petty squabbles that even our great-great-great grandparents were not affected by (excluding Ireland of course).

I think the new PM should fix this football issue and declare a British football association to create a new league and national team. We'd have more players to draw upon and would hear less of the borderline racism that crops up between the Union nations during the World Cup.

Of course that would make sense and help us all to get on a bit more and realise how much we have in common so it won't happen will it

N.