I've nothing to do
9.80%
I've already dumped the 4x4 at the airport
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How is business?

Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:01 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is business?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Interestingly, it's now very very hard to get a visa for an arab. So this will slow.
I guess they are even more worried than before that people with questionable opinions from the region are allowed in to corrupt their 'fairytale'..
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Turkish and Balkan Muslims in Dubai these days. I suspect much of the growth is led by Eastern Euros/Balkans/Central Asian Republics. They're well educated, can operate in a Western office environment very well and are happy to work for lower wages than Western Europeans.

Originally Posted by norsk
I guess they are even more worried than before that people with questionable opinions from the region are allowed in to corrupt their 'fairytale'..
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

As someone mentioned earlier, the Government is taking it's time in spending on anything, so for us, it's slow and struggle. Will we all be here in a year's time? Who knows.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Now back in Jockland after my O&G project was cut short.

During a day of closing accounts in HSBC and Etishite in Abu Dhabi last month, the reps in both places commented on the "huge" rise in expat departures they were seeing.

Also noticed the majority of advertised UAE job postings in my area were re-hashes of old vacancies or jobs that just didn't exist. Lost count of the number of 'consultants' phoning me coz they were "really really really keen to put me forward".....only to never hear from them again. (sorry Scamp, your brethren are resorting to old and despised practices now that times be rough!)

Ex-Dustybits
Old Dec 4th 2015, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
A lot of Turkish and Balkan Muslims in Dubai these days. I suspect much of the growth is led by Eastern Euros/Balkans/Central Asian Republics. They're well educated, can operate in a Western office environment very well and are happy to work for lower wages than Western Europeans.
Guess I really should make that effort to learn Russia as I've been promising the Mrs for the last 7 years.

We just warned one lady in my dept that it would be advisable if she looked for another job. She found something within 2 weeks working for a company expanding into central asia (she is from that region). Turned out well or her as she'll be earning a lot more than she gets with us.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DustyBits
Lost count of the number of 'consultants' phoning me coz they were "really really really keen to put me forward".....only to never hear from them again. (sorry Scamp, your brethren are resorting to old and despised practices now that times be rough!)

Ex-Dustybits
When times are hard I would do lots of this;

Ring candidates you find on Gulf Talent who are actually quite good. Talk to them about possible options with real companies (no lies). See if they bite. If they do, have a proper chat, maybe meet for a coffee. Pump for information, try to get info of where they've been for interviews recently.

Bingo, multiple wins.

New target list of clients to call that you know have vacancies.
New candidate who is good, you've met and can really sensibly send to companies with great notes attached.
New candidate who has potentially, very well bought into you so will continue to offer information (two way street) and be at least relatively open to listening to what you have to say about possible options.

Now; that's what I liked to do. Keep busy when vacancies are thin by building candidate base and meeting people and getting information.

The other tactic is a lot quicker and involves making up jobs, posting fake adverts, generally being a bit unscrupulous. I've done this to but it was completely transparent, felt a bit wrong and I wasn't very good at it.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 7:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am hearing that several of the larger local/regional companies that operate mainly in the retail sector may have some issues. Turnover and therefore profits are down significantly and not just due to over expansion.

Knock on effects...
Old Dec 8th 2015, 8:48 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Being heavily involved in one of the larger O&G Projects still going like a train, I am constantly receiving agencies touting guys. Thing is, I can get many guys that I know, and more importantly that are cheaper for me than having to pay agency costs over and above the day rates.

I also get the guys who have been contacted by agencies that are telling people that I am looking for people.. They get all sulky when I tell them that if I WAS looking for someone, I would go to the folder on my desktop containing hundreds of resumes of people I could hire direct...
Old Dec 8th 2015, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interesting to see this survey with the industry sectors that people who voted worked in - i think there is going to be a general slump in the ME next year.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Would be interesting to see this survey with the industry sectors that people who voted worked in - i think there is going to be a general slump in the ME next year.
as late as next year

Oil at 37... budget deficits, KSA talking of cutting production, expensive wars on all fronts, USD rising, a perfect storm is brewing.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 10:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

as late as next year

Oil at 37... budget deficits, KSA talking of cutting production, expensive wars on all fronts, USD rising, a perfect storm is brewing.
Which is why I shouldn't moan that my work is now completely global.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
i think there is going to be a general slump in the ME next year.
Agree. The new airport in Dubai is supposed to have 5 runways once complete, 3 were supposed to be completed by July 2021. Currently the 2nd runway which was due to be completed by 2017, slipped to 2018 and now rumour has it 2020.

This is my personal opinion and not related in any way to the company I work for.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot

This is my personal opinion and not related in any way to the company I work for.
You always cover your ass and lack spine on these matters. This is my personal opinion and not related in any way to the company I work for.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

You always cover your ass and lack spine on these matters.
Unfortunately for me I was nearly sacked and was given a final written warning a couple of years ago for mentioning something on FB connected with work. So I virtually memorised the company policy on Social Media.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
Unfortunately for me I was nearly sacked and was given a final written warning a couple of years ago for mentioning something on FB connected with work. So I virtually memorised the company policy on Social Media.
How have you survived since?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.