Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Hopefully maybe insh'Allah

Hopefully maybe insh'Allah

Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hopefully maybe insh'Allah

Etisalat. Tune to another channel now if you've heard it all before...

Applied for t'internet at home at AD Mall about 10 days ago. Fibre not available yet where I live, so have to pay 350 for 1mb, but "for sure e-live giving 16mb will be available within 2 months". Watch this post. Last Thursday they called, said the installation would be done (last) Saturday, so come on (last) Friday to collect my internet card to show the installer. Saturday nothing. Phoned them on Sunday, and the bloke actually said the installation would be done "hopefully maybe tomorrow or the next day insh'Allah". Oh Buddah. They called yesterday, and after concentrated effort and interrogation by me they confirmed that this morning between 8 and 11 actually meant before 11. They turned up at 11:20, took 2 hours and said they'd have to come back tomorrow between 8 and 8:30. We shall see. I then got a phone call from a nice-sounding lady: "About your internet sir, we'd like to make an appointment for the installation." Left hand v right hand.

I also have a 3G dongle. My company is sponsored by one of the biggest UAE companies, and they provide our telecoms and other stuff, so the dongle is through them. Every time the bill hits 999AED they cut off the service, and I have to produce our sponsor's trade licence and an official letter saying they authorise payment above that amount. What really gets me is that I wasted about 6 hours talking to their helpline (hah!), 2 different guys confirming that there was nothing wrong with the account, go download some software (which I had to go to the office to do, on a Friday), install that, see if it helps. Nope. Back onto 3rd guy, nothing wrong with account, must be your PC. I then went to Etisalat in AD Mall to apply for t'internet, and they checked about the dongle--it's because you're over the limit sir. Phoned their helpline again--yessir, that's right, we just want to notify you when you reach 999AED. "Cutting off the service isn't notifying me". "It's just to let you know you've reached that limit, you can use the service." "NO I CAN'T." "Yes you can sir, you just need to send a copy of your company's trade licence and an official letter...":curse:

Is there a higher authority to appeal to?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopefully maybe insh'Allah

cant comment on the dongle, however went into the etisalat office for broadband on A/P road, was told 3 days, phoned on 4th day and they said it would be the following week. went back into the store to kick up a fuss and they came out the following day. other than the hassle of going back into the etisalat office, it wasn't that bad and within a week.

Oh, and i'm paying 359 for 16meg however, quick test on the ping indicates I'm getting around 12meg, still fast enough to dish out a thrashing on COD.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Is there a higher authority to appeal to?

insh'Allah
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
cant comment on the dongle, however went into the etisalat office for broadband on A/P road, was told 3 days, phoned on 4th day and they said it would be the following week. went back into the store to kick up a fuss and they came out the following day. other than the hassle of going back into the etisalat office, it wasn't that bad and within a week.

Oh, and i'm paying 359 for 16meg however, quick test on the ping indicates I'm getting around 12meg, still fast enough to dish out a thrashing on COD.
how come you pay so little for so much?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I've bought into a sarcy reply, never know woth you EM... It's been a long day..

But the elife package is far cheaper than the other ones. The landline (does anyone use one nowadays?) Is about 28 p/month, and a language miscommunication means I'm also taking one of their routers at 24 p/month.

Was only 499 for the 32meg, seemed a bit ott for me.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I've bought into a sarcy reply, never know woth you EM... It's been a long day..

But the elife package is far cheaper than the other ones. The landline (does anyone use one nowadays?) Is about 28 p/month, and a language miscommunication means I'm also taking one of their routers at 24 p/month.

Was only 499 for the 32meg, seemed a bit ott for me.
Honestly, I was being serious... I pay 350Dh from 2Mb (which is around 1Mb) so I feel a little hard done by. I shall be looking at this elife thingy
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've just looked up this elife thingy... what's the catch?

I currently pay 350Dh/ month for 2Mb slowband (Al Shami), I can upgrade to 8Mb broadband FTTH for 299DH/ month

Now a manny came around a few months ago and fitted some massive FTTH box behind the sofa so I think I can do it.

So, will this be the first time in UAE history that I might actually be able to save a bit of money and get a better deal? or is there a catch?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't think there is one... 100gb download limit, I never exceeded the 20gb one bt gave me in uk, and I'm online with the xbox most nights! 12month contract (you can upgtade package for free, downgrade is 100aed)...
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:58 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic....

[QUOTE=Brains1983;8509404]
Oh, and i'm paying 359 for 16meg however, quick test on the ping indicates I'm getting around 12meg, still fast enough to dish out a thrashing on COD.[/QUOTE]

Aaarrrrggh I hate you ... I get massacred on COD due to lousy 2mb download and 256k uploads in Bah....
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

2 men arrived this morning, between 8 and 8:30 as promised. Was a bit worried when they turned out to be different from the men who came yesterday and said they weren't sure what was done yesterday, but within about an hour I was hooked up! God is great, after all.

However, everybody at Etisalat who I speak to has a different version of when fibre will be available to allow me to get e-life: somewhere between 2 months and sometime-never.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

take care on e life, they say that there package is unlimited, however there is a * next to it, this applies the same way that fair useage does in the UK and beleive me Etisalat will charge you if you go over what they class as fair useage and it ends up costing you a packet.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:00 pm
Hit 16's

I knew it was too good to be true. 3 days after successful installation, it's broken. No DSL signal. They've promised to send round a technician within 2 days, ie by tomorrow. Should I let out that big breath I've been holding?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

if it were legal to gamble here, I'd bet 50dhs that they don't pitch. side bet of 50dhs if they do, they "shake" their head and say they dont have the right piece of equipment.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

if it were legal to gamble here, I'd bet 50dhs that they don't pitch. side bet of 50dhs if they do, they "shake" their head and say they dont have the right piece of equipment.
I know I've seen some daft people here, but I don't think I've seen anyone quite daft enough to accept a bet like that. (And I like the "shake", Brains--"Yessir, I haven't got the right piece of equipment.")
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

if anyone wants the link for the elife information;

http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lan...003c05000a____

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.