Hiking gear shop?

Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough
Default Hiking gear shop?

I'm struggling to find somewhere to buy some new hiking boots, rucksack and some other related items.

I've found a few places that sell cheap and cheerfull stuff but looking for something a little better quality.

Found this place http://www.traks-me.com/ and am waiting for them to get back to me but anyone know of any other places? Preferably AD but not fussy.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:18 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hiking gear shop?

Picnico on Beach Road in the Jumeriah / Umm Suqeim area of Dubai sells a bit of stuff including some rucksacs & climbing gear - probably worth a look.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:05 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

global village
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

global village
Leather jacket and sandals?
Old Dec 31st 2009, 10:54 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm looking for the same thing... But if you looking for general Hiking equipment and shoes, nothing of high technology and quality and overpriced prices well UAE is the place!
I strongly recommend either buying your equipment online or back home from any of the UK high street shops...
Out of curiosity, what hiking areas is there here beside Ras Al Khaima and Al-Ain?? I'm considering the Kilimanjaro climb so I need to prepare myself a fitness program here in UAE...
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

OK so i did manage to find some reasonable stuff out there and the prices and quality were both pretty good.

Got some North Face boots in Sun and Sand which were below what you would pay online in UK.

Got a rucksack from Jack Wolfskin shop in Al Whada mall which was about the same as rrp in uk. They also had boots and such like.

Theres other places that sell stuff, Go Sport in Ibn Batuta sell some climbing gear and picnico sell camping stuff as already mentioned. Ocean and woods in Marina mall also have some gear.

Tiger989 - feel free to PM me, i've done plenty of hiking here and its pretty amazing, very different from europe as there are few trails and certainly not much support or people around if anything goes wrong. Therefore you have to be prepared and plan your trip well. The hiking however is stunning and very rewarding, you also see places and things most never thought exsisted here. Its hard work in the sun and the terrain is very rugged and loose but that obviously adds to the experience.

The main areas other than those you mentioned are Hatta and Fujerah, also musandam is good. Hatta is probably the easiest place to start. Ive not done Killi but have been up to similar heights in Nepal, i'd certainly get a fair few Jebel hikes here under your belt before Killi if only to get the lungs working and break in new boots etc.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shat Fink
OK so i did manage to find some reasonable stuff out there and the prices and quality were both pretty good.

Got some North Face boots in Sun and Sand which were below what you would pay online in UK.

Got a rucksack from Jack Wolfskin shop in Al Whada mall which was about the same as rrp in uk. They also had boots and such like.

Theres other places that sell stuff, Go Sport in Ibn Batuta sell some climbing gear and picnico sell camping stuff as already mentioned. Ocean and woods in Marina mall also have some gear.

Tiger989 - feel free to PM me, i've done plenty of hiking here and its pretty amazing, very different from europe as there are few trails and certainly not much support or people around if anything goes wrong. Therefore you have to be prepared and plan your trip well. The hiking however is stunning and very rewarding, you also see places and things most never thought exsisted here. Its hard work in the sun and the terrain is very rugged and loose but that obviously adds to the experience.

The main areas other than those you mentioned are Hatta and Fujerah, also musandam is good. Hatta is probably the easiest place to start. Ive not done Killi but have been up to similar heights in Nepal, i'd certainly get a fair few Jebel hikes here under your belt before Killi if only to get the lungs working and break in new boots etc.
I did kili a few years ago....training was running up 100 floors each night in my building.
Always amazed me the amount of cr.ap people stored in the fire escapes....if there were a fire you'd be better be agile.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:36 pm

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jeeper
I did kili a few years ago....training was running up 100 floors each night in my building.
Always amazed me the amount of cr.ap people stored in the fire escapes....if there were a fire you'd be better be agile.
I second that opinion. Welcome to the Mashalla and Inshalla philosiphy
You haven't really seen the safety practises in oil and gas...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:42 am
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Did Kili about 5 years ago...I was moderately fit and did not find the walk too taxing. However once above 3,000 m I had a bloody headache that lasted for three days which made it less enjoyable than it could have been. Suggest you take the altitude sickness pills - I wish I had done so
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
Did Kili about 5 years ago...I was moderately fit and did not find the walk too taxing. However once above 3,000 m I had a bloody headache that lasted for three days which made it less enjoyable than it could have been. Suggest you take the altitude sickness pills - I wish I had done so
Its all about Altitude body adjustment. For example climbing Mount Everest should take approximately 78 days. Same as Kilimanjaro should take 6 days. Avoid general altitude sickness by planning a sensible itinerary that allows for gradual acclimatisation to altitude as you ascend, (you can race back down as fast as you like!).
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:22 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Originally Posted by Tiger989
Its all about Altitude body adjustment. For example climbing Mount Everest should take approximately 78 days. Same as Kilimanjaro should take 6 days. Avoid general altitude sickness by planning a sensible itinerary that allows for gradual acclimatisation to altitude as you ascend, (you can race back down as fast as you like!).
Yeah right! ...good in theory but most of us tend to live lives where we try to cram in too much too soon...If you can take 6 days to go up fine - but most people try to do it in 3-4 days or less and suffer because of it...I know!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah my brother went up there in only 3 to 4 days and suffered massively from altitude sickness. When i went up to 6000m in nepal we took about 8 days to get up there which was still pretty fast. Didnt get any sickness though so must of been just about long enough.