British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   HD TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/hd-tv-651723/)

Max the Dog Jan 28th 2010 2:09 pm

HD TV

Wow!!!
Just got the HD showtime package from DU....Fantastic!!!

Spugsy Jan 28th 2010 10:46 pm

Re: HD TV

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 8290524)
Wow!!!
Just got the HD showtime package from DU....Fantastic!!!

really? isn't it 50 dibs or something for like 3 HD channels?

I got rid of it, was a waste of time.

Max the Dog Jan 29th 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8291809)
really? isn't it 50 dibs or something for like 3 HD channels?

I got rid of it, was a waste of time.

No, in the cold light of day you are right!! I'm bored of the channels already. Picture is great but no content.
Hopefully they will get the sport in HD in the future!

Victor Meldrew Jan 29th 2010 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 8293226)
No, in the cold light of day you are right!! I'm bored of the channels already. Picture is great but no content.

Does anybody know the score with Evision HD package? I have asked at the desk in the Etisalat office and keep getting unclear conflicting answers.

I presume there aren't many HD channels with this package, but I heard that you get a full TV information package and can record programmes.

However, is this the same as Showbox in that you can pre programme recording for a future date/time, or can you only record 'live' i.e. pressing the 'record' button as the programme comes onto the TV/box.

Can you record one prgramme whilst watching another?

Thanks for any info.

Spugsy Jan 29th 2010 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 8293226)

they told me 'loads of channels coming soon' - bt that literally could be a few years from now.

TheShed Jan 31st 2010 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8293752)
Does anybody know the score with Evision HD package? I have asked at the desk in the Etisalat office and keep getting unclear conflicting answers.

I presume there aren't many HD channels with this package, but I heard that you get a full TV information package and can record programmes.

However, is this the same as Showbox in that you can pre programme recording for a future date/time, or can you only record 'live' i.e. pressing the 'record' button as the programme comes onto the TV/box.

Can you record one prgramme whilst watching another?

Thanks for any info.

I have had the eVision HD package for some time now. I agree there is not that much yet, but it is certainly increasing. I normally get a couple of premier league games on Showsports HD over the weekend and there are a fair few HD movies coming through. As of tomorrow there is Discovery and Nat Geo HD starting which should be pretty impressive.

A lot of the sport on Al Jazira is already in HD and they have 2 HD channels on eVision so far.

The best bit of all will be next Prem League season when AL Jazira take over as they have stated they will show every Prem League game in HD. Cant wait.

You are right that the box is like a "showbox" and can record one channel whilst you watch another. I seem to remember that I had to pay about AED1,000 for the box when it was installed.

I went to Etisalat at Defense Roundabout and they were great - had it installed in 3 days.

I agree it costs a few dirhams more, but I personally feel its worth the extra change.

Victor Meldrew Feb 3rd 2010 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 8297435)
I have had the eVision HD package for some time now. I agree there is not that much yet, but it is certainly increasing. I normally get a couple of premier league games on Showsports HD over the weekend and there are a fair few HD movies coming through. As of tomorrow there is Discovery and Nat Geo HD starting which should be pretty impressive.

A lot of the sport on Al Jazira is already in HD and they have 2 HD channels on eVision so far.

The best bit of all will be next Prem League season when AL Jazira take over as they have stated they will show every Prem League game in HD. Cant wait.

You are right that the box is like a "showbox" and can record one channel whilst you watch another. I seem to remember that I had to pay about AED1,000 for the box when it was installed.

I went to Etisalat at Defense Roundabout and they were great - had it installed in 3 days.

I agree it costs a few dirhams more, but I personally feel its worth the extra change.

and can you pre-programme recording eg programme it today to record a programme next week?

Max the Dog Feb 3rd 2010 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8308382)
and can you pre-programme recording eg programme it today to record a programme next week?

Yes!

Victor Meldrew Feb 3rd 2010 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 8308530)
Yes!

Thank you!!

Victor Meldrew Feb 3rd 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 8308530)
Yes!

But yours is the Du package. I am asking if the E-vision HD box/package allows pre programmed recording.

I used to have showtime showbox, but since moving house (and HAVING to switch to E-vision) I can no longer pre record. The E-vision sales people dont seem sure in answering this question.

Millsyisland Feb 4th 2010 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8308626)
The E-vision sales people dont seem sure in answering this question.

The entire staff of EVision don't have a clue about anything, particularly about any of their products.

I yearn for Sky but it'll take years for anything like that sort of quality to arrive here. Granted there are a few HD channels appearing (which I ordered several months ago through EVision but have heard nothing and have now given up), but the quality of programming is just not there.

Since Showtime has been relaunched I now seem to have less channels and more repeats - great.

TheShed Feb 4th 2010 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8308626)
But yours is the Du package. I am asking if the E-vision HD box/package allows pre programmed recording.

I used to have showtime showbox, but since moving house (and HAVING to switch to E-vision) I can no longer pre record. The E-vision sales people dont seem sure in answering this question.

Hi Victor, Yes, the eVision box allows scheduled recording. You can instantly record, "rewind" live TV and schedule something in the future. Please don't ask me how to do it as I have to ask my son when I want something recorded.

p.s. No sign yet of the new HD channels (Nat Geo HD and Discovery HD) which were supposed to arrive on Feb 1st - but hey, it is Shitisalat we are talking about here.

JB22 Jun 17th 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 8310389)
Hi Victor, Yes, the eVision box allows scheduled recording. You can instantly record, "rewind" live TV and schedule something in the future. Please don't ask me how to do it as I have to ask my son when I want something recorded.

p.s. No sign yet of the new HD channels (Nat Geo HD and Discovery HD) which were supposed to arrive on Feb 1st - but hey, it is Shitisalat we are talking about here.

do you know if my UK HD TV will work in the UAE? I take it that you can not pick up the astra sats but if you can get hotbird sta then a fortecsat box will tune into hotbird as well as many others you choose and that has some free to air channels on it. Might need a big dish