Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Having a second health plan! Is it a good idea?

Having a second health plan! Is it a good idea?

Old May 4th 2010, 7:28 am
Banned

sharoncarrasco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a second health plan! Is it a good idea?

Do you hate it when your insurance card is not accepted at hospitals / clinics? That is why it always makes sense to have another health insurance plan. So you will not be stuck without getting the medical attention you need at a time of emergencies.

A lot of us in the UAE , are on a health plans selected by our employers. It is never the right fit for us. Since in my experience, companies are always looking to cut down costs and pick the cheapest insurance plan for their employees.

There are health plans like Bupa and IHHP, that allows you to pick and choose the benefits you need. For example - If you need only an inpatient plan, you can select only that cover.These plans are very flexible and come with deductible options to make your plans affordable.

I work as an Health plan advisor in the UAE. I just want to know your thoughts on having two health insurance plans.
Old May 4th 2010, 7:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Having a second health plan! Is it a good idea?

I have not had any Health Insurance in the 12 years spent in the Arabian Gulf. Not all companies are required to provide cover and we have never been turned away by any hospital so far. So how much are the most cost effective plans you have come across?
Old May 4th 2010, 8:07 am
Banned

sharoncarrasco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
I have not had any Health Insurance in the 12 years spent in the Arabian Gulf. Not all companies are required to provide cover and we have never been turned away by any hospital so far. So how much are the most cost effective plans you have come across?
@lionheart - Thanks for feedback. I have pm'd you about the cost of the plans since i will need certain details like your age in order to give a approx. quote.

You are right. In Dubai and N. emirates it is not mandatory for employers to provide health insurance to their employees. But in Abu dhabi, it is mandatory.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Me smells a sales drive...
Old May 4th 2010, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Me smells a sales drive...
Yep, possibly one of the direst examples of spamming I have seen in a long time.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

The only surprise for me is that LH the cynic fell for it.

Not that Sharons got any chance of extracting any cash out of him/her whatsoever.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It's important to check what you are covered for on a company arranged insurance and also which clinics and hospitals you can visit.

Also, before taking an additional plan check with your existing insurer if they will upgrade you on the group scheme you are on to whatever cover you actually want as that will be cheaper than taking a seperate plan...although sometimes it's easier to take another plan.

Right, I've said my piece....carry on folks.

N.
Old May 5th 2010, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by admon
The only surprise for me is that LH the cynic fell for it. Not that Sharons got any chance of extracting any cash out of him/her whatsoever.
Well, her PM never reached me. In any event, you won't find me giving personal information to anybody posting on here...not after the last time.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Well, her PM never reached me. In any event, you won't find me giving personal information to anybody posting on here...not after the last time.
Yep, I still remember the x-ray pic you posted afterwards

Old May 5th 2010, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Won't be having any of that cheeky spam, but I'll let the topic stand
Old May 5th 2010, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Won't be having any of that cheeky spam, but I'll let the topic stand
Sharon was such a nice lass...Beautiful eyes...Full set of lips...Double insurance cover...

Women like that don't come very often...