Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Has someone got their Imperial and Metric confused????

Wikiposts

Has someone got their Imperial and Metric confused????

Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:16 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has someone got their Imperial and Metric confused????

Originally Posted by spart
Seen it. Talking on mobile, and sending a message from the blackberry. Granted person was almost stopped at a traffic light, but she was multi tasking like I have never seen..
Westerners only seem to multi-task during a threesome
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Those speed cameras are no better than the old ones.
And they don't do ave. speed.
And they haven't stopped speeding.
OMFG- are they just normal speed cameras then?

WOW.

But have they not cut average sepeds down on SZR?
I haven't seen anyone doing over 130 along there in a long time. Has anyone?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
What he (RK) said....

and also - questioning Jeeper's physics knowledge....
On what point?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

WOW.

We have these camers on the road to Al Ain....and every morning without fail I see at least a dozen vehicles pushing 200kph...then hitting the picks at each camera.

The grace is too high anyway - speed limit 120 - camera goes off at 160......of course some people are going to sit at 140-150.
Should be 120kph speed limit and 130 camera trigger....10kph grace like the real world.

I can tell you for fact that there is a piece of road that is under construction and during the construction (with cones, barriers, working machinery and staff on the site) the speed limit is 100kph.
When the road is finished and operating normally the speed limit will be 80kph. Can someone tell me how that could possibly make any sense?

In any case - there are signs saying warning - speed camera is set at 120kph! (so who cares about any 80 or 100 limit?!?!)

Last edited by Jeeper; Dec 21st 2009 at 3:39 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
What he (RK) said....

and also - questioning Jeeper's physics knowledge....

Jeeper is spot on.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:12 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

WOW.

The camera's on SZR WERE designed to be avg speed cameras. However, due to them taking the cheap option and getting there own guys to instal them the system was fckd before they switched them on. Precise placement of the camera is necessary to ensure full coverage, which was completely overlooked at installation.

Those are simply more expensive-looking replacements for the old Box-On-A-Box style...
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
The camera's on SZR WERE designed to be avg speed cameras. However, due to them taking the cheap option and getting there own guys to instal them the system was fckd before they switched them on. Precise placement of the camera is necessary to ensure full coverage, which was completely overlooked at installation.

Those are simply more expensive-looking replacements for the old Box-On-A-Box style...

is that actually true? so are you saying I can keep ploughing on and flashing people at 180kph in that area? I had always been slowing down to 120. wicked.

I must say though, I find it hard to believe - the effect it has on slowing down the traffic (including the crazy land cruiser drivers) suggests what you are saying is not common knowledge - and if it is true, I would have thought it would be common knowledge (at least with the locals)
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
is that actually true? so are you saying I can keep ploughing on and flashing people at 180kph in that area? I had always been slowing down to 120. wicked.

I must say though, I find it hard to believe - the effect it has on slowing down the traffic (including the crazy land cruiser drivers) suggests what you are saying is not common knowledge - and if it is true, I would have thought it would be common knowledge (at least with the locals)
It is, unfortunately, becoming common knowledge though.

Initially people thought they were able to tell if you were wearing your seatbelt, talking on a phone etc etc etc.
That is not true either.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:49 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly yes, although not nearly as many as before.

Interestingly, the only camera I see flashing with any regularity is the one out of Dubai near the Marina. Whether it's set lower or people think they're already in the 120kph zone, it seems to catch a lot of cars.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:57 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

Only real differences with the new cameras are they can catch you both ways (from front or rear) and they don't flash. They were intended to be "average speed" cameras, as you said, but they're not! Why? Probably because RTA and the Police don't talk to each other!!!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
Only real differences with the new cameras are they can catch you both ways (from front or rear) and they don't flash. They were intended to be "average speed" cameras, as you said, but they're not! Why? Probably because RTA and the Police don't talk to each other!!!
They do flash.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:18 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

They do flash.
Oh, there you go then, another FACT.

What I can say is they were sold as Sensys SSS non-intrusive type cameras that are capable of identifying number plate and/or driver and support front and rear photography, or both simultaneaously. They use a multi-tracking RS240 radar and DO NOT flash.

But, I guess you know better.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
Oh, there you go then, another FACT.

What I can say is they were sold as Sensys SSS non-intrusive type cameras that are capable of identifying number plate and/or driver and support front and rear photography, or both simultaneaously. They use a multi-tracking RS240 radar and DO NOT flash.

But, I guess you know better.
Yep - Seen it with my own two eyes....don't care what I read.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:25 am
If I have to explain...

Yep - Seen it with my own two eyes....don't care what I read.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77...ots_banner.jpg
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm going to sit on a fence here. I thought I got flashed once by one of these cameras - but never got a ticket so maybe it was just a reflection of the sun off something - this link is 'interesting'

http://www.sensys.se/BinaryLoader.ax...ttachment=True

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.