British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Handyman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/handyman-777885/)

shiva Nov 18th 2012 8:30 am

Re: Handyman

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10388630)
I own tools, hang pictures, put up shelves etc. Does that make me a man?

no it makes you like my wife who has had her own tool kit since she was a student :)

as i said its not a macho manly thing its a self reliance pride thing,

shiva Nov 18th 2012 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10388637)
Of course you have it figured and of course I haven't. Sorry, how foolish of me to question you, sir.

:nod:

lighten up and have a coffee and fag break Scamp, you seem to be missing the piss take element here, not like you at all.

Meow Nov 18th 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10388640)
no it makes you like my wife who has had her own tool kit since she was a student :)

I agree to a certain extent, but there are some things that bore me stupid so I will happily pay someone else to deal with them. Years ago I did some repairs to my cars, but I wouldn't think twice now about taking it to a garage. I'm sure basic stuff isn't hard but I'm not interested and don't have the tools.

I think there's a difference between being able to do something and choosing to pay someone else to do it for you if you have something better to do. That's how I feel about housework. I could do my own cleaning and ironing, but I choose not to.

Theseus Nov 18th 2012 8:42 am

http://www.cyclelicio.us/wp-content/.../flowchart.jpg

shiva Nov 18th 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10388644)
I agree to a certain extent, but there are some things that bore me stupid so I will happily pay someone else to deal with them. Years ago I did some repairs to my cars, but I wouldn't think twice now about taking it to a garage. I'm sure basic stuff isn't hard but I'm not interested and don't have the tools.

I think there's a difference between being able to do something and choosing to pay someone else to do it for you if you have something better to do. That's how I feel about housework. I could do my own cleaning and ironing, but I choose not to.

as i said above if something will take hours and you either don't have time or cant be bothered then fair enough, otherwise i just don't get it

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 18th 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10388667)
as i said above if something will take hours and you either don't have time or cant be bothered then fair enough, otherwise i just don't get it

If it makes you happy I had to loosen the curtain rail at both ends and slide them down because it was a bit too high, and hang the end ring on the other side of the bracket too.

Millhouse Nov 18th 2012 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10388679)
If it makes you happy I had to loosen the curtain rail at both ends and slide them down because it was a bit too high, and hang the end ring on the other side of the bracket too.

I would have got a man in for that job.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 18th 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10388684)
I would have got a man in for that job.

I was tempted to get them back in, but I didn't need a drill, so was alright...nearly broke a nail though.

Patsy Stoned Nov 18th 2012 10:05 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10388640)

I also have my own tool kit and I can change a tyre. But as Meow said I would rather get somebody else to do it.
In the work place I always tried to live by the rule... " Don't ask somebody to do something that you can't or won't do yourself "

soukie Nov 18th 2012 11:25 am

I hope Santa brings you a hammer drill for Christmas :)

weasel decentral Nov 18th 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10388593)
Are you the bloke who walks around the gym changing rooms completely naked for no reason whatsoever?
:rofl::rofl:

I dry my balls with the hair-driers in the gym does that count for anything in the man stakes?

Meow Nov 18th 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10388805)
I dry my balls with the hair-driers in the gym does that count for anything in the man stakes?

You go to the sort of men's gym that has hairdryers? :whistle:

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 18th 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10388805)

Top of the pile.

Along with those who can wheelspin an automatic.

weasel decentral Nov 18th 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10388819)
You go to the sort of men's gym that has hairdryers? :whistle:

Inconveniently there are none handy, I usually have to drag my schlong into the women's section.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 18th 2012 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10388836)
Inconveniently there are none handy, I usually have to drag my schlong into the women's section.

You don't throw it over your shoulder?