Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Greatest Olympian Ever ??

Greatest Olympian Ever ??

Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest Olympian Ever ??

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Michael Phelps should be congratulated on his magnificent achievement of 11 Olympic Gold medals , and Im not suggesting otherwise .....

BUT........Come on now, swimming is an easier event to win medals in than Track and Field, so it hardly makes him the greatest Olympian ever !

I dont know how many different distances there are in swimming, but multiply those by the various strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breast stroke, butterfly) and thats a hell of a lot of medals up for grabs.

True, there are a lot of different distances to run in track and field.......but you can only "run" one way,.....there are NOT 4 different styles of running !!
True, there are a lot of different distances to run in track and field.......but you can only "run" one way,.....there are NOT 4 different styles of running !!

Doesn't that make it HARDER to win swimming medals? Or am I missing something? I'm with Shiva on this...............
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

How is it ridiculous, its a fact.

Swiming is swimming. Ok you learn 4 different techniques, but you're in a pool using your arms to move through water.

To learn different track and field events is totally different. If it wasnt then there would be a dozen Daley Thompson's in the history of the Olympics

Im not a swimming expert, but its not uncommon for swimmers to win 2, 3, 4 Golds at at time.....How many athletes win 3 or 4 Golds at a time ? Very few indeed, which kind of proves my point
There ARE a dozen Daley Thompsons..........

Jim Thorpe, Bob Mathias, Bil Toomey, Bruce Jenner, Christian Schenk, Dan O'Brien, Roman Sebrle........... all great in their own eras. Best sporting event of all - no other sport comes close to requiring that sort of versatility - apart from when you want to win lots of Olympic swimming medals.............
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:34 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Doesn't that make it HARDER to win swimming medals? Or am I missing something? I'm with Shiva on this...............
So do you consider Carl Lewis for example a lesser Olympian that Phelps, because he didnt win the 100m backwards run or the 100m sideways run ?

No, cos they dont exists...

The point is Track and Field athletes dont have the opportunity to run any other way, unlike swimmers who can swim in various styles, hence my point that there are more opportunites for swimmers to win gold medals !
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:41 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

So do you consider Carl Lewis for example a lesser Olympian that Phelps, because he didnt win the 100m backwards run or the 100m sideways run ?

The point is Track and Field athletes dont have the opportunity to run any other way, unlike swimmers who can swim in various styles, hence my point that there are more opportunites for swimmers to win gold medals !
i think you may have missed the point....if it helps, i think you passed it back there near the start of the thread ....
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:43 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
i think you may have missed the point....if it helps, i think you passed it back there near the start of the thread ....
Was it where you told us you used to train with a gold medal winner ?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:49 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Was it where you told us you used to train with a gold medal winner ?
i'm bored now, you clearly dont get it so i'm leaving it here, however i will ask you, if its so bloody easy then why dont all swimmers enter all the events?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:53 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by shiva
i'm bored now, you clearly dont get it so i'm leaving it here, however i will ask you, if its so bloody easy then why dont all swimmers enter all the events?
Good, so am I.

Whats the point as Phelps wins them all ....lol
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lewis a 'lesser Olympian than Phelps'?

Definitely.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:52 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by The Dean
Lewis a 'lesser Olympian than Phelps'?

Definitely.
What utter crap !

Lewis has nine golds, spread over 12 years, with seven of them coming in individual events.

Phelps currently has six golds from solo swims and five from relays.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:22 pm
W10

As I said I dont belittle what an achievement it is, but you can only run one way, and not 4 ways, and therefore there is more opportunity for medals in swimming than there is in track and field events
How do you figure that you can only run 'one way'?

There is also a difference between sprint and distance events in swimming.

I'd say Thompson was up there, simply because of the difficulty of mastering 10 different events.

Or someone like Sir Steve for having the longevity to win medals consistently over very long period.

Michael Johnson? I'd love to have seen him triple up :-)

Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:25 pm
W10

What utter crap !

Lewis has nine golds, spread over 12 years, with seven of them coming in individual events. And the distinctly tainted whiff of potentially covered up steroid aided wins...

Phelps currently has six golds from solo swims and five from relays.
Edited for accuracy (and a reason why Lewis could never be the greatest Olympian)

Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:28 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by W10
How do you figure that you can only run 'one way'?

There is also a difference between sprint and distance events in swimming.

I'd say Thompson was up there, simply because of the difficulty of mastering 10 different events.

Or someone like Sir Steve for having the longevity to win medals consistently over very long period.

Michael Johnson? I'd love to have seen him triple up :-)
How do I figure that you can only run 'one way'?......Forward !

You cant run in 4 different styles, like you can swim in 4 different styles
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:36 pm
W10

So presumably Lewis has no excuse for not winning the marathon, the 1500m and the 110m hurdles then?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:10 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by W10
So presumably Lewis has no excuse for not winning the marathon, the 1500m and the 110m hurdles then?
100m, 200m and long jump should be enough, no ?

Anyway, I was just using him as an example......At the end of the day, its a matter of opinion, and at the outset, I said its a magnificent achievement of Phelps' but in my opinion, it is easier to win a gold medal haul in swimming when compared to track and field

I didnt even mention he's an ugly looking git !

Last edited by BangleMan; Aug 13th 2008 at 5:11 pm. Reason: .
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:25 pm