British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Greatest comeback EVER! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/greatest-comeback-ever-776259/)

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 31st 2012 9:21 am

Greatest comeback EVER!

I'm fed up with all the Manure and Chelski shite.

What about the Arsenal last night!! 4-0 to 5-7!! I've always loved the Milk Cup.

Actually, I went to bed at 85 mins and 4-2 thinking, well at least complete humiliation has been averted.... :o

Let's have some gooner love.

Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!

Theseus Oct 31st 2012 9:33 am

Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

I went to bed at 4 -0 - I wasn't watching I was just getting regular updates. I said "well i'm off to bed in the hope that something special will happen overnight" Could have knocked me down with a feather this morning. :-D

the_red_sheep Oct 31st 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10358710)
Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!

Just a shame he only wants to score 4 or 5 times a season then really. ;)

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 31st 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10358738)
Just a shame he only wants to score 4 or 5 times a career then really. ;)

Fixed that for you

jam25mack Oct 31st 2012 9:48 am

Gooner love..... unlikely! They're a team in serious decline, which is a shame as I have always had a soft spot for Arsenal, but that was back in the day when they has quality and flair, unlike today where they have a few 'good' players and a lot more average mid table ones.

I watched the whole game last night and although it was a classic I do feel sorry for Reading. They had a great start and absolutely bossed a very mediocre Arsenal side for the whole of the first half. Good work from Arsenal admittedly for coming out a transformed team in the second half but I haven't a clue what the ref was thinking. A total of 4 mins was shown on the board within which Reading made a sub (allow 30 secs) but he then allowed 6 mins where Arsenal scored after 5 3/4 mins.

So 4-4 at fulltime, then 4-5, then 5-5 then 5-6 and then the last one to make it 5-7 was a bonus.

Would have liked to have had pens to really finish it off in style!

Arsene must be shitting himself with his back line shipping 5 against Reading!

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 31st 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10358759)
Gooner love..... unlikely! They're a team in serious decline, which is a shame as I have always had a soft spot for Arsenal, but that was back in the day when they has quality and flair, unlike today where they have a few 'good' players and a lot more average mid table ones.

I watched the whole game last night and although it was a classic I do feel sorry for Reading. They had a great start and absolutely bossed a very mediocre Arsenal side for the whole of the first half. Good work from Arsenal admittedly for coming out a transformed team in the second half but I haven't a clue what the ref was thinking. A total of 4 mins was shown on the board within which Reading made a sub (allow 30 secs) but he then allowed 6 mins where Arsenal scored after 5 3/4 mins.

So 4-4 at fulltime, then 4-5, then 5-5 then 5-6 and then the last one to make it 5-7 was a bonus.

Would have liked to have had pens to really finish it off in style!

Arsene must be shitting himself with his back line shipping 5 against Reading!

Well in fairness there were 11 changes to the Arsenal side that faced QPR (in such memorable fashion..:unsure:) last weekend.

Post-Pat Rice defence strategy: have your dodgy backs score enough to make up for the stupid ones they concede - Kos and Santos.

I'm a Liam Brady era nostalgic but I'd take this lot over George Graham's one nil to the Arsenal any day... Never a dry seat in the house!

mathematist Oct 31st 2012 10:20 am

Very similar to the Liverpool Ac Milan game a few years back but more at stake back then.

Arsenal generally deserve a gold medal for many of the best build up/ passing goals but it didn't quite go accOrding to plan yesterday.

Ps, I am not an Arsenal fan.

Welivehere Oct 31st 2012 10:25 am

Arsenal fans that aren't already aware of it should try the Aresnal pod cast by Alan Davies and a couple of others; its called "The Tuesday Club". I'm not a gooner but still listen in most weeks ....

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 31st 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10358831)
Arsenal fans that aren't already aware of it should try the Aresnal pod cast by Alan Davies and a couple of others; its called "The Tuesday Club". I'm not a gooner but still listen in most weeks ....

'Colonel Jenkinson'

Watched all the goals this morning online.

Walcott should always be played up the middle. What a finish for first goal.

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 31st 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10358840)
Walcott should always be played up the middle. What a finish for first goal.

It was a peach and it had that feeling of spurring a rally like Sagna's goal at 0-2 against the Spuds in that other famous recovery at the Emirates last season - critical that it came before half-time as well....

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 31st 2012 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10358893)
It was a peach and it had that feeling of spurring a rally like Sagna's goal at 0-2 against the Spuds in that other famous recovery at the Emirates last season - critical that it came before half-time as well....

Watching the goals, when the 4th went in the Arsenal fans behind the goal were going absolutely spastic. Awesome sight.

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 31st 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10358905)
Watching the goals, when the 4th went in the Arsenal fans behind the goal were going absolutely spastic. Awesome sight.

I have to say, as flat as the Emirates can be sometimes (and even moreso Highbury the library before it) , the travelling gooner fans are the best. They were on great form last night for sure but we will never forget them staying to sing their hearts out after the 8-2 fiasco at Old Trafford.

The Dean Oct 31st 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10358710)
I'm fed up with all the Manure and Chelski shite.

What about the Arsenal last night!! 4-0 to 5-7!! I've always loved the Milk Cup.

Actually, I went to bed at 85 mins and 4-2 thinking, well at least complete humiliation has been averted.... :o

Let's have some gooner love.

Not only do I not know the tune that would be sung to................. but also I can't even pronounce it in the first place.......... how many syllables does that guy have?? :blink:

Miss Anne Thrope Oct 31st 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10359101)

Not only do I not know the tune that would be sung to................. but also I can't even pronounce it in the first place.......... how many syllables does that guy have?? :blink:

Tcha, it's easy..double iambus, the simplest rhythm possible. Marouane is just the French transliteration of the Arabic name that is usually written Marwan in English. I know it's not always easy for you Europhobes but in French "ou" before a vowel is like a "w". Think of "oui" - it's "we" not "ooey"... Fortunately I am no longer driven bonkers by English commentators referring to Eboue as Eb-ooey when they mean Eb-way (since he's gone to Galatasaray or wherever).

Anyway, I don't really think you'll need to remember this particular chant...

littlejimmy Oct 31st 2012 2:55 pm

Nearly as good as Boro's two 3 goal comebacks in the UEFA Cup QF and SF in 2006.

The Mackems are quiet today, like...:p