Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Greatest comeback EVER!

Greatest comeback EVER!

Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:21 am
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greatest comeback EVER!

I'm fed up with all the Manure and Chelski shite.

What about the Arsenal last night!! 4-0 to 5-7!! I've always loved the Milk Cup.

Actually, I went to bed at 85 mins and 4-2 thinking, well at least complete humiliation has been averted....

Let's have some gooner love.

Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:33 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Theseus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 735
Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

I went to bed at 4 -0 - I wasn't watching I was just getting regular updates. I said "well i'm off to bed in the hope that something special will happen overnight" Could have knocked me down with a feather this morning. :-D
Theseus is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:39 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
the_red_sheep's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Downtown, Dubai
Posts: 782
the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!
Just a shame he only wants to score 4 or 5 times a season then really.
the_red_sheep is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:47 am
  #4  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep View Post
Just a shame he only wants to score 4 or 5 times a career then really.
Fixed that for you
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:48 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,285
jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Gooner love..... unlikely! They're a team in serious decline, which is a shame as I have always had a soft spot for Arsenal, but that was back in the day when they has quality and flair, unlike today where they have a few 'good' players and a lot more average mid table ones.

I watched the whole game last night and although it was a classic I do feel sorry for Reading. They had a great start and absolutely bossed a very mediocre Arsenal side for the whole of the first half. Good work from Arsenal admittedly for coming out a transformed team in the second half but I haven't a clue what the ref was thinking. A total of 4 mins was shown on the board within which Reading made a sub (allow 30 secs) but he then allowed 6 mins where Arsenal scored after 5 3/4 mins.

So 4-4 at fulltime, then 4-5, then 5-5 then 5-6 and then the last one to make it 5-7 was a bonus.

Would have liked to have had pens to really finish it off in style!

Arsene must be shitting himself with his back line shipping 5 against Reading!
jam25mack is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:55 am
  #6  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Gooner love..... unlikely! They're a team in serious decline, which is a shame as I have always had a soft spot for Arsenal, but that was back in the day when they has quality and flair, unlike today where they have a few 'good' players and a lot more average mid table ones.

I watched the whole game last night and although it was a classic I do feel sorry for Reading. They had a great start and absolutely bossed a very mediocre Arsenal side for the whole of the first half. Good work from Arsenal admittedly for coming out a transformed team in the second half but I haven't a clue what the ref was thinking. A total of 4 mins was shown on the board within which Reading made a sub (allow 30 secs) but he then allowed 6 mins where Arsenal scored after 5 3/4 mins.

So 4-4 at fulltime, then 4-5, then 5-5 then 5-6 and then the last one to make it 5-7 was a bonus.

Would have liked to have had pens to really finish it off in style!

Arsene must be shitting himself with his back line shipping 5 against Reading!
Well in fairness there were 11 changes to the Arsenal side that faced QPR (in such memorable fashion..) last weekend.

Post-Pat Rice defence strategy: have your dodgy backs score enough to make up for the stupid ones they concede - Kos and Santos.

I'm a Liam Brady era nostalgic but I'd take this lot over George Graham's one nil to the Arsenal any day... Never a dry seat in the house!
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:20 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 263
mathematist will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Very similar to the Liverpool Ac Milan game a few years back but more at stake back then.

Arsenal generally deserve a gold medal for many of the best build up/ passing goals but it didn't quite go accOrding to plan yesterday.

Ps, I am not an Arsenal fan.
mathematist is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:25 am
  #8  
Loading...
 
Welivehere's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Back in the sand
Posts: 1,279
Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Arsenal fans that aren't already aware of it should try the Aresnal pod cast by Alan Davies and a couple of others; its called "The Tuesday Club". I'm not a gooner but still listen in most weeks ....
Welivehere is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:29 am
  #9  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,629
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by Welivehere View Post
Arsenal fans that aren't already aware of it should try the Aresnal pod cast by Alan Davies and a couple of others; its called "The Tuesday Club". I'm not a gooner but still listen in most weeks ....
'Colonel Jenkinson'

Watched all the goals this morning online.

Walcott should always be played up the middle. What a finish for first goal.
Scamp is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:57 am
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Walcott should always be played up the middle. What a finish for first goal.
It was a peach and it had that feeling of spurring a rally like Sagna's goal at 0-2 against the Spuds in that other famous recovery at the Emirates last season - critical that it came before half-time as well....
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:03 am
  #11  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,629
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
It was a peach and it had that feeling of spurring a rally like Sagna's goal at 0-2 against the Spuds in that other famous recovery at the Emirates last season - critical that it came before half-time as well....
Watching the goals, when the 4th went in the Arsenal fans behind the goal were going absolutely spastic. Awesome sight.
Scamp is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:30 am
  #12  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Watching the goals, when the 4th went in the Arsenal fans behind the goal were going absolutely spastic. Awesome sight.
I have to say, as flat as the Emirates can be sometimes (and even moreso Highbury the library before it) , the travelling gooner fans are the best. They were on great form last night for sure but we will never forget them staying to sing their hearts out after the 8-2 fiasco at Old Trafford.
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:03 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
I'm fed up with all the Manure and Chelski shite.

What about the Arsenal last night!! 4-0 to 5-7!! I've always loved the Milk Cup.

Actually, I went to bed at 85 mins and 4-2 thinking, well at least complete humiliation has been averted....

Let's have some gooner love.

Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!
Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!

Not only do I not know the tune that would be sung to................. but also I can't even pronounce it in the first place.......... how many syllables does that guy have??
The Dean is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:24 pm
  #14  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Scores when he wants, scores when he wants, Marouane Chamakh scores when he wants!

Not only do I not know the tune that would be sung to................. but also I can't even pronounce it in the first place.......... how many syllables does that guy have??
Tcha, it's easy..double iambus, the simplest rhythm possible. Marouane is just the French transliteration of the Arabic name that is usually written Marwan in English. I know it's not always easy for you Europhobes but in French "ou" before a vowel is like a "w". Think of "oui" - it's "we" not "ooey"... Fortunately I am no longer driven bonkers by English commentators referring to Eboue as Eb-ooey when they mean Eb-way (since he's gone to Galatasaray or wherever).

Anyway, I don't really think you'll need to remember this particular chant...
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2012, 2:55 pm
  #15  
Excess Baggage
 
littlejimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,470
littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greatest comeback EVER!

Nearly as good as Boro's two 3 goal comebacks in the UEFA Cup QF and SF in 2006.

The Mackems are quiet today, like...
littlejimmy is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.