Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Great Summer to be British don't you think?

Great Summer to be British don't you think?

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Summer to be British don't you think?

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Might be a dumb question: So why aren't any of the GCC nations good at some Olympic sports ; they do have lots of money for facilities and training and ready access to good nutrition.
maybe for the same reason you are not an Olympian?

Also very small populations.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
maybe for the same reason you are not an Olympian?

Also very small populations.
I am 1 person ; are all GCC citizens just like me, seems rather unlikely.

Small countries like Jamaica have got several medals in Track and Field . Recently there have been a few news articles wondering why India with its huge population has a dearth of medals ; but in India's case you have a large malnourished population and underdeveloped sporting culture except for cricket and field hockey. I suppose the vast majority of GCC locals don't care enough about athletics/sports??

Last edited by Boomhauer; Aug 23rd 2016 at 7:18 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:22 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting article from the BBC on funding for Team GB and changes in funding and medal success.

"When Adam Peaty powered to the finish line in his record-breaking 100m breaststroke, it was the result of a big investment by UK Sport.
Although spotted as a potential star at the age of 14, Peaty at first relied on fund-raising parties, organised by friends and neighbours, to pay for his travel to national competitions."

Rio 2016: Does John Major deserve credit for Team GB's success? - BBC News
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I am 1 person ; are all GCC citizens just like me, seems rather unlikely.

Small countries like Jamaica have got several medals in Track and Field . Recently there have been a few news articles wondering why India with its huge population has a dearth of medals ; but in India's case you have a large malnourished population and underdeveloped sporting culture except for cricket and field hockey. I suppose the vast majority of GCC locals don't care enough about athletics/sports??
I think the numbers for the UK funding were equivalent to everyone in the country giving £1.06 to the Olympic funding.

I think the numbers I read for India were 0.06 INR per person (£0.00068).

Some simple calculations according to 2013 population figures means the UK spent a handful short of £68m and India spent £851,000.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think the numbers for the UK funding were equivalent to everyone in the country giving £1.06 to the Olympic funding.

I think the numbers I read for India were 0.06 INR per person (£0.00068).

Some simple calculations according to 2013 population figures means the UK spent a handful short of £68m and India spent £851,000.
So we ended up 1 short of a medal a million then
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:27 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But obviously your calculations don't take into account the per capita component..
Oh, don't go there. Because then you'll find Britain, way way way down behind Grenada, New Zealand, Denmark and a bunch of other countries including Chinese Taipei (which is really Taiwan, but they're not allowed to be a country so have to compete under an olympic flag).

I for one am happy with being only about 60% as good as America, because being 30% worse than Bahrain... is unthinkable.

Last edited by captainflack; Aug 23rd 2016 at 10:31 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:30 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a dumb question: So why aren't any of the GCC nations good at some Olympic sports ; they do have lots of money for facilities and training and ready access to good nutrition.
They also bang people up for drugs. You'll never get olympic success like that.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
They also bang people up for drugs. You'll never get olympic success like that.
So... here is a thing that bothers me...

I'm quite sure Bolt is on drugs. How can he always do so well and smash records with such poor starts all the time? Objectively, pretty much every sprinter gets tainted by them eventually. So why not him?

So... how are these guys doing it, they are all being tested. Assuming no bribes and backhanders, what is it? Drug technology must have over taken the testers again for a bit.

The brit cycling team must have an advantage too, but how? I don't think its a mass drug taking campaign in the team but have we read something in the rules that others have missed?

I struggle to believe that you can simply throw money at facilities and produce medals. As others have said, we have brilliant facilities here in the UAE, yet no medals... When I do to the gym, I see very fit emitatis who have all the time in the world to train.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Lance Armstrong was tested all the time, but he used to get a full blood transfusion before he was tested.....
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite sure Bolt is on drugs. How can he always do so well and smash records with such poor starts all the time? Objectively, pretty much every sprinter gets tainted by them eventually. So why not him?

So... how are these guys doing it, they are all being tested. Assuming no bribes and backhanders, what is it? Drug technology must have over taken the testers again for a bit.

The brit cycling team must have an advantage too, but how? I don't think its a mass drug taking campaign in the team but have we read something in the rules that others have missed?

I struggle to believe that you can simply throw money at facilities and produce medals. As others have said, we have brilliant facilities here in the UAE, yet no medals... When I do to the gym, I see very fit emitatis who have all the time in the world to train.
I was listening to some of the lads at the Tri Club talking about Chris Froome . The guys stats are nothing short of a machine , that's where the so called hate comes from within the sport.

The margins in cycling are minor but Froome just blows the whole thing apart.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter
So we ended up 1 short of a medal a million then
I know, shame really. 99p per person has a better ring to it....

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I was listening to some of the lads at the Tri Club talking about Chris Froome . The guys stats are nothing short of a machine , that's where the so called hate comes from within the sport.

The margins in cycling are minor but Froome just blows the whole thing apart.
I like to, and try to, see the best in athletes. World records are there to be broken by improvements in training, diet, all the add ons (I think female (maybe male too) Brit cyclists are told to leave their lady gardens bushy for some reason etc).

I'm not naive though so some at the Olympics must be on magic beans but I also respect the amount of work and effort that goes in and people like Chris Froome are just (not 'just' but you know what I mean) the front man to a phenomenal team on the road and in support. Sky have bankrolled a mega team there, for example.

Bolt. Could just be a freak of nature.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:39 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

It's really hard to say. It does seem unfair to tarnish everyone, but in events that are primarily physical performance rather than skill (e.g. rowing, running, weightlifting, swimming, cycling as opposed to tennis, golf, hockey, football, etc.) it's clear that drugs provide a real benefit that justifies the risk, and that many high profile cheats have gone for years undetected. History tends to suggest the cheats are always ahead of the tests.

Like Radio One DJs, there probably are a couple of top athletes who're innocent, but I'm pretty sure Noel Edmonds and Mike Read flinch everytime the doorbell rings.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

On drugs in the Olympics and sport as a whole (strictly performance enhancing, not the fun ones) what do people think of the bans?

Lifetime immediately? Might put more people off?
Gatlin - banned twice...surely he shouldn't be near an Olympic stadium?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 1:13 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Mo was probably on drugs
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
Mo was probably on drugs
khat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.