British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A good day for English Rugby (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/good-day-english-rugby-779356/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 4th 2012 8:32 am

Re: A good day for English Rugby

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10414931)
Well that isn't a leek in my pocket if that's what you're asking...

:huh:

The Dean Dec 4th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10414844)
But what a hangover.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...-cup-2015-draw

Assuming Fiji are the Oceania team, is that perhaps the hardest group ever in the finals of a major sports competition? I can't think of a worse one off hand...

Perhaps the shortest-lived redemption ever also... In reality, Robshaw's dodgy kick decision is far more significant than the greatest English rugby performance in ten zillion years etc etc....

I don't see the problem........... there was always going to be a 'Pool of Death' (or whatever) and as long as they are at home, they will be fine (of the four Tier One nations, Australia was the one I wanted most) - put it another way: would Australia and Wales have been hoping to be in England's group? Er, no................

BTW - I have it on very good authority that this Welsh noise about playing a match (or more) at Millennium is utter garbage - and I do mean VERY good authority. All matches will be in England or - if a Welsh stadium is used for any matches - they won't be matches involving Wales. 'Host nation is the only home nation' is the motto for all future RWCs.

The Dean Dec 4th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10414844)
But what a hangover.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...-cup-2015-draw

Assuming Fiji are the Oceania team, is that perhaps the hardest group ever in the finals of a major sports competition? I can't think of a worse one off hand...

Perhaps the shortest-lived redemption ever also... In reality, Robshaw's dodgy kick decision is far more significant than the greatest English rugby performance in ten zillion years etc etc....

............. good point about Fiji though - Wales never lose to Pacific Island teams though, do they............... er........... hang on...........

scarletfanagain Dec 4th 2012 9:27 am

The draw for RWC 2015 could be interesting and lead to a great tournament. Not quite sure why the groups were picked nearly 3 years before the event though, but that's neither here nor there.

As a proud Welshman, through and through, I can honestly say that I believe Gatland has taken the welsh team as far as he can. Ok, so we've had a couple of overseas coaches who have helped to set up regional rugby and vastly improve the physique and fitness of the players.

At the same time though, WG insists on using the same tactics time and time again. Didn't he do the same with Ireland? Isn't that the underlying reason he became unstuck across the water?

The game on Saturday is a case in point. Australia were there for the taking and apart from Pocock, they all looked a bit knackered. Did the Welsh team use different tactics to the ones deployed against Australia in the summer? Err, no! It's also bollocks that half of the welsh team were reserves. Yeah yeah, pull the other one, they are all professional players. For me, the WRU shoud ditch Gatland, Howley and McBride (the forwards coach who was arguably one of the worst hookers ever to make the welsh team with dodgy eyesight).

On to England then.

Wow, hat's off guys. Admittedly, I have only seen clippets of the game against the AB's, but, as a genuine rugby supporter, I admire the way that Stuart Lancaster, who is a relatively young coach internationally speaking, is turning the fortunes of England around. I only hope, for the good of the game, that he is given ample opportunity to continue by the RFU.

Having said that, at the moment, I don't rate Northern Hemisphere chances at RWC 2015 and with 4 Southern Hemisphere teams to contend with (my money is on Argentina to win), we are trailing miles behind, particularly in terms of open play.

scarletfanagain Dec 4th 2012 9:29 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10415095)
I don't see the problem........... there was always going to be a 'Pool of Death' (or whatever) and as long as they are at home, they will be fine (of the four Tier One nations, Australia was the one I wanted most) - put it another way: would Australia and Wales have been hoping to be in England's group? Er, no................

BTW - I have it on very good authority that this Welsh noise about playing a match (or more) at Millennium is utter garbage - and I do mean VERY good authority. All matches will be in England or - if a Welsh stadium is used for any matches - they won't be matches involving Wales. 'Host nation is the only home nation' is the motto for all future RWCs.

It is being said that there are 8 games in Cardiff as part of the package, but the halfwits at the WRU hoping that Wales have home advantage against England in a group game is so far off the mark, its laughable!

The Dean Dec 4th 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by scarletfanagain (Post 10415129)
It is being said that there are 8 games in Cardiff as part of the package, but the halfwits at the WRU hoping that Wales have home advantage against England in a group game is so far off the mark, its laughable!

My VERY good authority was telling me the gosperl truth........... ;)

scarletfanagain Dec 4th 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10415133)
My VERY good authority was telling me the gosperl truth........... ;)

I don't doubt if for one second!!