Gold Souk

Old Dec 14th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gold Souk

dumb question, but here goes.

when people refer to the gold souk in Dubai, is it the one that is in Dubai Mall, or is there another area of Dubai that has the gold souk?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gold Souk

The original one down by the creek. Tacky as hell but worth a visit for all the bling bling.

There are newer gold souks scattered around the city.

Originally Posted by Brains1983

when people refer to the gold souk in Dubai, is it the one that is in Dubai Mall, or is there another area of Dubai that has the gold souk?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:08 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I am frankly shocked by this question. Dubai Mall has only been around for five minutes, whereas the Gold Souq is part of Dubai's heritage and cultural history. It's located opposite the Fish Market behind the Goldland and Gold Centre buildings after the creek tunnel. There is a New Gold Souq too, but that is just a new building in Port Rashid dedicated to jewellery stores. Also the Dubai Gold and Diamond Park on Sheikh Zayid Road is much better than that horrible and touristy Dubai Mall creation, which is simply a replica of the original centre for shoppers with money to throw away.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I am frankly shocked by this question.
give it a rest
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:05 am
Account Closed

The gold souk is not particularly old. It goes back a few decades.

The Dubai Mall gold souk is a fake and expensive sham, but whilst I've been to the old gold souk six-seven times in three years, I've been to the Dubai Mall 46454643060234592769080454 times. It wins, hands down, as the cultural centre for Dubai.

I am frankly shocked by this question. Dubai Mall has only been around for five minutes, whereas the Gold Souq is part of Dubai's heritage and cultural history. It's located opposite the Fish Market behind the Goldland and Gold Centre buildings after the creek tunnel. There is a New Gold Souq too, but that is just a new building in Port Rashid dedicated to jewellery stores. Also the Dubai Gold and Diamond Park on Sheikh Zayid Road is much better than that horrible and touristy Dubai Mall creation, which is simply a replica of the original centre for shoppers with money to throw away.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The gold souk is not particularly old. It goes back a few decades.
...which, by Dubai standards, is old. As for Dubai Mall being the cultural centre of Dubai, give me strength. It was built on the cheap for Emaar to make huge profits by charging extortionate rents. I bet it will be demolished within a few decades.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:00 am
Account Closed

If you know anything about architecture and design, it's a remarkable structure and pretty well built. The interior finishes were not done on the cheap.

Few places have such a variety of high quality design by a range of designers within one spot. It is a cathedral to shopping, and a very appropriate one.

As it is, the mall including the lake outside is the closest that comes to a centre for Dubai, this city's version of Piazza San Marco in Venice. Emiratis, westerners, Indians, Africans, SE Asians and tourists flock to the mall for shopping, dining, entertainment.

One can't say that about the remaining old bits of Bur Dubai.

...which, by Dubai standards, is old. As for Dubai Mall being the cultural centre of Dubai, give me strength. It was built on the cheap for Emaar to make huge profits by charging extortionate rents. I bet it will be demolished within a few decades.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:48 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai Mall ... wins, hands down, as the cultural centre for Dubai.
Spot on
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:57 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, people move here and don't bother to explore the area at all
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:09 am
Account Closed

If you know anything about architecture and design, it's a remarkable structure and pretty well built. The interior finishes were not done on the cheap.

Few places have such a variety of high quality design by a range of designers within one spot. It is a cathedral to shopping, and a very appropriate one.

As it is, the mall including the lake outside is the closest that comes to a centre for Dubai, this city's version of Piazza San Marco in Venice. Emiratis, westerners, Indians, Africans, SE Asians and tourists flock to the mall for shopping, dining, entertainment.

One can't say that about the remaining old bits of Bur Dubai.
Personally I much prefer Dubai Festival City and its marina. As for the quality of the place, Dubai Mall is part of the Emaar Group, who are reknown for using cheap labour and poor quality materials. The entire ground floor has already been flooded by sewage once and I know for a fact that several of the units are infestated with rats, but you obviously know better.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Yes, I know better and what you're saying is crap.

Emaar is one of the better quality builders around Dubai, if not the actual best. Compare their developments to Nakheel or most of the Dubai property developments, Emaar wins, hands down. Emaar apartments are generally the most sought after in Dubai. Even back in the UK or the US Emaar wouldn't be a half bad developer. Unlike some of the near bankrupt developers Emaar still has enough cash on hand to take proper care of their communities.

DFC is not as well built as the Dubai Mall. The marble and stone veneer paneling is coming off in place and the design of the mall from a layout perspective is mediocre. The corridors are too narrow and dark and the architects were ignorant not to capitalise on the creekfront setting by positioning the mall away from the watefront, separated by a nearly empty "food pavilion."

Personally I much prefer Dubai Festival City and its marina. As for the quality of the place, Dubai Mall is part of the Emaar Group, who are reknown for using cheap labour and poor quality materials. The entire ground floor has already been flooded by sewage once and I know for a fact that several of the units are infestated with rats, but you obviously know better.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree, people move here and don't bother to explore the area at all
In fairness, Brains is in AD and only been here a year.

Have you been to the fish market or fruit and veg market in Abu Dhabi? If yes, did you do it in your first year?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Yes, I know better and what you're saying is crap.

Emaar is one of the better quality builders around Dubai, if not the actual best. Compare their developments to Nakheel or most of the Dubai property developments, Emaar wins, hands down. Emaar apartments are generally the most sought after in Dubai. Even back in the UK or the US Emaar wouldn't be a half bad developer. Unlike some of the near bankrupt developers Emaar still has enough cash on hand to take proper care of their communities.

DFC is not as well built as the Dubai Mall. The marble and stone veneer paneling is coming off in place and the design of the mall from a layout perspective is mediocre. The corridors are too narrow and dark and the architects were ignorant not to capitalise on the creekfront setting by positioning the mall away from the watefront, separated by a nearly empty "food pavilion."
Yes I agree that Nakheel are terrible but if Emaar is the best then God help us. Despite what you say, I still prefer DFC. The ridiculously laid-out and poorly signposted parking areas at Dubai Mall are enough to deter anyone. As you are clearly an expert on crappy shopping malls, what do you think of Mirdif City Centre ?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:12 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The ridiculously laid-out and poorly signposted parking areas at Dubai Mall are enough to deter anyone.
Ah, thank god its not only me--I got lost getting out of the frigging car park.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

Dubai is an interesting place from a design/construction perspective. The best construction here doesn't compare well with the best at home because of the rush to build as quickly as possible. Throw in the intense heat and the shoddy materials used by most developers, the city will age very quickly.

But - from a design perspective, a lot of exceedingly high quality design was executed in Dubai, particularly from 2005-2009. Most people generally only take in the overall impression and not notice all the small details. Think and look carefully the next time you go into the Dubai Mall and notice all the one million and more items, architectural detailing, street furniture, symbols and whatnot that were carefully and individually designed. In most places in the west you don't get the extent of design attention because it's too costly. It's impressive, very impressive, and Emaar gets my kudos for carrying it off very well.

Mirdiff City Centre is functional. A box with marble veneer. Decent range of shops. Efficient entry and exit, probably the best of all the malls. I don't go there because it's too far from where I live.

There are too many luxury malls in Dubai and some will have to close. My money is on Wafi being the first. If Ikea left DFC, that place would hurt, badly.

Yes I agree that Nakheel are terrible but if Emaar is the best then God help us. Despite what you say, I still prefer DFC. The ridiculously laid-out and poorly signposted parking areas at Dubai Mall are enough to deter anyone. As you are clearly an expert on crappy shopping malls, what do you think of Mirdif City Centre ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.