British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Giving birth in Dubai (from UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/giving-birth-dubai-uk-481169/)

Ronni Sep 14th 2007 4:48 pm

Giving birth in Dubai (from UK)

Hi,

I will be relocating to Dubai in a few days with my husband and I'm 29 weeks pregnant and plan to have the baby in Dubai.

Just wondered if anyone can advise me on which hospital to register with. I've looked at both the Al Wasl and the American hospital. Any advice much appreciated......

Madam Medusa Sep 14th 2007 4:51 pm

Re: Giving birth in Dubai (from UK)

sorry i can't help...but welcome to the board anyway...

MM, xx

oktoberon Sep 14th 2007 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ronni (Post 5311968)
Hi,

I will be relocating to Dubai in a few days with my husband and I'm 29 weeks pregnant and plan to have the baby in Dubai.

Just wondered if anyone can advise me on which hospital to register with. I've looked at both the Al Wasl and the American hospital. Any advice much appreciated......

Wasl Hospital is less expensive than American. Make sure your hubbies Medical Insurance covers known conditions, i.e. you're 29 weeks. As some Insurers will not cover the cost.

lionheart Sep 15th 2007 8:16 am

I assume that you are both UK passport holders. I say this because I am, but my wife is Kenyan. Our baby was born in Saudi Arabia and was given a UK passport...maybe a Muslim thing. Otherwise, you should have no trouble. Al Wasl is much less expensive than the other. We have encountered very few problems since we have been here but you will need to get a Medical Card once your residency is sorted. Expect it to take some time, but the hospital won't turn you away without one..

Blue Cat Sep 15th 2007 5:28 pm

I delivered in the Al Wasl, well had a C section. No problems with the C section but the aftercare is a bit dodgy. They do know what they are doing though and I can recommend them, especially if you don't have insurance. The American Hospital is more of a Hotel in my opinion - though the staff are excellent it is very pricey :)

Congratulations and good luck :)

mythic Sep 16th 2007 8:54 pm

anyone wishing to learn first hand on this subject, i will be out soon and willing to do the first part:p:p

Inselaffen Sep 16th 2007 8:58 pm

"Giving birth in Dubai (from UK)"

that is going to be one hell of a push to do that :p

mythic Sep 16th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5319286)
"Giving birth in Dubai (from UK)"

that is going to be one hell of a push to do that :p

all that grunting and groaning eh ins, lets hire ourselves out and take the strain

Inselaffen Sep 16th 2007 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5319292)
all that grunting and groaning eh ins, lets hire ourselves out and take the strain

I like to think of myself as an old fashioned gent!
so if I ever get in that situation I expect to be told the good news by phone whilst sipping a Gin and Tonic and preparing a nice big fat cigar to smoke!!

dont want to see the gory details!!