British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Getting a short term loan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/getting-short-term-loan-596335/)

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 9:28 am

Getting a short term loan

Ok I have a loan which will be paid off in 2 months, but as we don't get advanced housing here at work I need to get my hands on AEd 25k, not a lot really,

HSBC won't give me a top up loan as I still have 2 months to go on mine, which seems stupid as if I'd paid it off I wouldn't need it 'topped up' would I?

So they say it may be possible to get an AED 25k overdraft, but I am waiting on a call,

any ideas on how to get the cash? Are other banks loaning out money? It would be paid back within 4 months or less,

Cheers all....:ohmy:

Bison Mar 9th 2009 9:59 am

Re: Getting a short term loan

Mashreq

easy peasy :thumbup:

Inselaffen Mar 9th 2009 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7359222)
Mashreq

easy peasy :thumbup:

Avoid Mashreq!

Bison Mar 9th 2009 10:08 am

Avoid Mashreq!
Care to enlighten us?

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7359238)
Avoid Mashreq!

just spoke to HSBC again, I need to go and fill in forms and give salary transfer letter AGAIN and it'll take 4 to 5 days IF they approve it,

christ what a pain in the hoop.

Blue Cat Mar 9th 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7359255)
just spoke to HSBC again, I need to go and fill in forms and give salary transfer letter AGAIN and it'll take 4 to 5 days IF they approve it,

christ what a pain in the hoop.

when you moving?

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7359335)
when you moving?

I need the cash asap, we move early next week.

shakh your bootie Mar 9th 2009 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7359471)
I need the cash asap, we move early next week.

Cash advance on credit card? Would that work?

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7359479)
Cash advance on credit card? Would that work?

They offered me one as well, I don;t have one, I have 2 Uk ones which I'm paying off, bollocks to credit cards.

shakh your bootie Mar 9th 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7359492)
They offered me one as well, I don;t have one, I have 2 Uk ones which I'm paying off, bollocks to credit cards.

You're right - they are bollocks. But if it takes 10/14 days for HSBC to come up with your loan, I was thinking you could stick the 25K on plastic and pay it off when the loan comes through before you get stung for loadsa interest.....

Blue Cat Mar 9th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7359511)
You're right - they are bollocks. But if it takes 10/14 days for HSBC to come up with your loan, I was thinking you could stick the 25K on plastic and pay it off when the loan comes through before you get stung for loadsa interest.....

might be an option? though I agree, I hate credit cards.

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7359617)

ah its sorted now, mrs spugsy just got her relocation bonus she should have got after 3 months, and that covers the shortfall.

Jesus, the banks over here are appalling though, the girls in sales are full of shit, last time they said 'once you have a loan, all you have to do is ring up and we'll top it up if need be, all done over the phone', now they tell me I need to come in, fill in another form, give them ANOTHER salary transfer letter and wait 3 days at least for it to be approved,

lying bankers.....

Shehryar Mar 9th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7359642)
lying bankers.....

And that is a surprise because.................?

I thought it was part of the job definition. Especially here. Particularly HSBloodyC!

Meow Mar 9th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7359617)

Nothing wrong with credit cards if used wisely. They are very useful for purchases online, such as plane tickets and overseas gifts, but you have to be smart enough to pay them off every month. ;)

-

jrudofsky Mar 9th 2009 12:33 pm

Agreed on the CC front, sometimes you even get rewards for using them...........sometimes!