Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Getting evicted again & Rera have lost their teeth

Getting evicted again & Rera have lost their teeth

Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting evicted again & Rera have lost their teeth

Am expecting a letter from our landlord shortly to explain how our villas are to be knocked down to make way for a shiny McMansion in their place.

Our lease doesn't expire until August so was expecting to get a 12 month eviction notice from August (as per Tenancy Law). Although the letter will say that we have 12 months from now to vacate.

I spoke to RERA earlier today who explained that yes, the law says 12 months from date of lease expiry, but don't expect the judge to take my side. The landlords have been winning the right to knock over their villas ignoring the letter of the tenancy law. He says the judgement will not go my way, so don't bother!

Question is, should I open a case against the landlord or just say screw it and bring forward the plans to get out of dodge after the 12 months notice. I cant be screwed looking for another overpriced villa/apartment, and this year is looking like it might be a tight year for us all.

I think I can see the sh*t bucket is nearly full...
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting evicted again & Rera have lost their teeth

This has always been a grey area, 12 months from end of tenancy or from date of letter. In my experience RERA has always ruled 12 months from date of letter. Although I have always argued that the law clearly states from end of tenancy. What to do Yanni.

Plan on moving and have a look around. All the signs of the horoscopes and examination of the entrails say that rental prices are dropping, although there is very little evidence of it. The RERA index being frozen for a year at the beginning of the year will not help prices go down. A lot of properties are due to come onto the market this year, although there appears to have been a deliberate slow down of releases last year. No doubt because a glut will affect rental prices.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 3:43 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly recommend you make a case.
It doesnt cost too much so the gamble is definitely worth it, who knows the judge might rule in your favor?
Why just listen to one naysayer in RERA?
make the case and as mike said, look around anyway, yanni...yakhi...id wond hurd to dry!
come sit in my bintly!
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. Not sure if I'll be looking around for another place or start the process of moving back home (securing kids school places etc.)

Honestly even if I raised a case, I feel it will be thrown out as the landlord is a very well known family and the collection of villas is el primo location, so they will be keen to get them all knocked down at once and start banging up the new ones asap.