Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Fairly Worthless Thread

Fairly Worthless Thread

Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fairly Worthless Thread

Dowries. Who sets the figure? Do they negotiate? If so, who: bride & groom, parents, matchmakers? Who gets the money--the bride's parents only, or do they give some to her?

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....708089882/0/hp

AED800,000????? Using the following formula:

CB = D(max) / (GR-MH) / (DY-HT)

Where CB = years of Conjugal Bliss
D (max) = Maximum Dowry
GR = Going Rate (according to my mate John)
NM = Negotiation Margin for frequent flyers club
DY = Days in a Year
HT = Headache or Hungover Time (those days where you just can't perform)

gives the result that AED800k could keep you going with a different girl every night of the week for 7 years and 159 days, assuming that "every" meant 5 days a week, and my mate John's estimate of costs at the Ally Pally of AED500 could be discounted for bulk purchases.

And think of the money they could save on flowers, too.

Yes I am bored today.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fairly Worthless Thread

Bored, yes aren't we all doll... um why don't you go to Ally pally for lunch...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Dowries. Who sets the figure? Do they negotiate? If so, who: bride & groom, parents, matchmakers? Who gets the money--the bride's parents only, or do they give some to her?

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....708089882/0/hp

AED800,000????? Using the following formula:

CB = D(max) / (GR-MH) / (DY-HT)

Where CB = years of Conjugal Bliss
D (max) = Maximum Dowry
GR = Going Rate (according to my mate John)
NM = Negotiation Margin for frequent flyers club
DY = Days in a Year
HT = Headache or Hungover Time (those days where you just can't perform)

gives the result that AED800k could keep you going with a different girl every night of the week for 7 years and 159 days, assuming that "every" meant 5 days a week, and my mate John's estimate of costs at the Ally Pally of AED500 could be discounted for bulk purchases.

And think of the money they could save on flowers, too.

Yes I am bored today.

You have vastly oversimplified this. The AED 800k deal is worse than it looks from your simple analysis.

Think of all of the "dead days" that come with marriage - arguments, fat days, headaches, family visits, the month of Ramadan, not forgetting the monthly time out.

I estimate this to be around 100 days a year.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Bored, yes aren't we all doll... um why don't you go to Ally pally for lunch...
Well as you happen to mention it, I'm due to meet a friend for lunch there today but I'm delaying going!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Well as you happen to mention it, I'm due to meet a friend for lunch there today but I'm delaying going!
Bet it looks very different in day light.....
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bet it looks very different in day light.....
I'm going to meet a man...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm going to meet a man...
what? I was taking about the decor doll....
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what? I was taking about the decor doll....
Oh yes. Well that's pretty much the same - Indian Restaurant velour wallpaper and sticky floors.

It's very tame in there right now. They the limit numbers of girls, only 8 or so a night. The other night there were 150 or so very disappointed men in there - it used to be the other way around.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:45 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Pray tell, Sand Pitters...what is the Ally Pally I read so much about?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
well, if you ask the bouncer on the door, "it's a gentlemen's club", although I've yet to find a gentlemen in there... equally, the girls will say it's full of "ladies" and I've yet to have seen a lady in their either.

But, I quite like it. Has a snooker table, some TVs, the chicken fajitas are OK and the beer is cheap. It's how I imagine the pubs in Middlesbrough to be.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I will let the lads on the bored answer that one
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:53 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

well, if you ask the bouncer on the door, "it's a gentlemen's club", although I've yet to find a gentlemen in there... equally, the girls will say it's full of "ladies" and I've yet to have seen a lady in their either.

But, I quite like it. Has a snooker table, some TVs, the chicken fajitas are OK and the beer is cheap. It's how I imagine the pubs in Middlesbrough to be.
If you replace chicken fajitas for parmos you'd be almost there.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you replace chicken fajitas for parmos you'd be almost there.
awesome. The look like a pasta-less chicken lasagne. Are they nice?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:13 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

well, if you ask the bouncer on the door, "it's a gentlemen's club", although I've yet to find a gentlemen in there... equally, the girls will say it's full of "ladies" and I've yet to have seen a lady in their either. But, I quite like it. Has a snooker table, some TVs, the chicken fajitas are OK and the beer is cheap. It's how I imagine the pubs in Middlesbrough to be.
...and it's real name and location are?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:14 am
Excess Baggage

awesome. The look like a pasta-less chicken lasagne. Are they nice?
I've never eaten one. Not a big cheese fan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.