FaceFlop?

Old May 19th 2012, 11:44 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default FaceFlop?

From the Torygraph:
Company filings after the market closed on Friday night however revealed the extent to which the banks who led Facebook’s initial public offering - in which $16bn of shares were sold to new investors - were forced to move in to the market and buy shares in order to keep the price above the $38 level. Morgan Stanley, Facebook’s lead financial adviser, ended the day with 162m shares, worth $6.16bn. Other banks including JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs also bought shares, ending the day with $3.2bn and $2.4bn holdings respectively.

The underwriters have been caught with $11.76bn in a $16bn IPO. I'm thinking there will be a few who are tempted to go short on FaceBook next week. So I ask you, can it really be worth half a google at the moment?
Old May 20th 2012, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FaceFlop?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
From the Torygraph:

The underwriters have been caught with $11.76bn in a $16bn IPO. I'm thinking there will be a few who are tempted to go short on FaceBook next week. So I ask you, can it really be worth half a google at the moment?
Difficult to say.......... an IPO often comes with contractual obligations for the leads/underwriters to mop up any stock that doesn't get sold, but an obligation to support the price after launch??

Not sure.

I look at it the other way round - if the company really is worth 100 billion, it isn't a very good company, profit-wise........
Old May 20th 2012, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I look at it the other way round - if the company really is worth 100 billion, it isn't a very good company, profit-wise........
Spot on. How on earth can they value something so high, when profits are so low.

As for 'underwriting' post IPO... no. After all, in the short term, facebook really only care about the cash raised on the IPO day - not the share price thereafter, that is someone elses' problem.

I hope the underwriters get burned badly - the whole concept goes against the idea of a free market.
Old May 20th 2012, 4:05 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

The data Facebook has on nearly 900 million people is worth far more than 100 billion. The only problem is nobody can work out how to cash in on that data without breaking multiple laws and pissing off all 900 million users. The ipo and price is largely a gamble that someone will work out how to monetize all that information before their star wanes and the next big online hit comes along. Now there's a load of shareholders involved the pressure will be on to monetize so expect huge and unpopular changes to Facebook very soon
Old May 20th 2012, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
The data Facebook has on nearly 900 million people is worth far more than 100 billion. The only problem is nobody can work out how to cash in on that data without breaking multiple laws and pissing off all 900 million users. The ipo and price is largely a gamble that someone will work out how to monetize all that information before their star wanes and the next big online hit comes along. Now there's a load of shareholders involved the pressure will be on to monetize so expect huge and unpopular changes to Facebook very soon
That's the whole point. You can't make money out of it. I mean, who has ever bought anything from a click-though ad? I can honestly say, I only ever click them by accident.

Let's not also forget that facebook can be replaced and fall from the stars as quickly as it got there.
Old May 20th 2012, 4:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

That's probably the best synopsis of the whole issue I've read.

N.
Old May 20th 2012, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Right.......... so it's NOT worth 100 billion then................
Old May 20th 2012, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right.......... so it's NOT worth 100 billion then................
Personally, I doubt even a 1/100th of it. I also wonder how many of the 900million users are active.
Old May 20th 2012, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Personally, I doubt even a 1/100th of it. I also wonder how many of the 900million users are active.
I'm not a Facebook user, and never will be, but tell me: is it free-of-charge to register as a member? If so, there's a possible source of future revenue (charging a membership fee) - but how many of the 900 million would be willing to pay?
Old May 20th 2012, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not a Facebook user, and never will be, but tell me: is it free-of-charge to register as a member? If so, there's a possible source of future revenue (charging a membership fee) - but how many of the 900 million would be willing to pay?
I am not a member either... but it's free.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:09 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I would say none of the 900 million would pay for the site, they would simply move to the next social networking site that comes along.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:23 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a member either... but it's free.
I am a member, though lots of my friends have now left. And Zuckerberg has publicly stated it will always remain free.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:32 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

That's the whole point. You can't make money out of it. I mean, who has ever bought anything from a click-though ad? I can honestly say, I only ever click them by accident.

Let's not also forget that facebook can be replaced and fall from the stars as quickly as it got there.
millions of people click ads every day eg google makes a fortune selling them to advertisers who in turn make enough of a profit to justify paying google.
its a huge huge industry that drives most of the internet that most people just dont see or arent aware of.

click through rates of 1 person in a thousand views are considered good with buyers at upto 10% of visitors (most convert about 1% at best) to a well designed and targeted landing page.

to give you an example, one of the most prolific ads currently is a weight loss product, its bloody everywhere, the owner of the product and his affiliates are spending tens of millions of dollars a month in online advertising. the bloke who owns it makes about 3 million usd a month profit with god knows what total revenue. Facebook click through rates are far far lower but plenty of people do click, enough that there are a good few people making a small fortune from them.

when people ponder just how and why facebook and google make money they forget that they are the .1% that are able to ponder and wonder whereas the 99.9% of internet user are ****ing idiots who are easily parted from their cash.
Think infomercials but on a much much larger scale. anyone with any sense cant for their life see why they make money but the industry makes billions every year, year in year out
Old May 20th 2012, 6:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is their rival, Google +, doesn't charge.

From ZeroHedge:
Old May 20th 2012, 7:18 am