Events in Egypt

Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:01 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Events in Egypt

The rich in Egypt are far too westernised to give up their lifestyle to the MB.

The poor also will be wary of them.

The two extremes will hopefully want something different.

I taught the son of Ayman Nour (leader of the 'tomorrow party') when he was incarcerated in jail for speaking out against Mubarak. He is a decent bloke with more balanced opinions.

Hopefully he (or someone like him) will succeed.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
What a shit country. A high rate of unemployment among the locals yet they still import millions of cheap labourers from South Asia and the Philippines to scrub their toilets. Something isn't right here.
That's because the Saudis refuse to do manual work.............. full stop. End of.

It's one of the reasons I like Bahrainis - no exagerated sense of self-importance.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Mubarak to step down but not before September's scheduled elections. That is hardly going to appease the opposition...Egyptian state TV are currently showing pro-Mubarak supporters waving banners in support of the President...oh dear.

Last edited by lionheart; Feb 1st 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
The rich in Egypt are far too westernised to give up their lifestyle to the MB.

The poor also will be wary of them.

The two extremes will hopefully want something different.

I taught the son of Ayman Nour (leader of the 'tomorrow party') when he was incarcerated in jail for speaking out against Mubarak. He is a decent bloke with more balanced opinions.

Hopefully he (or someone like him) will succeed.
Even the Muslim Brotherhood - seemingly everyone's favourite bogeymen - don't fall into that category.

The MB are nothing like they were in the 1950's and 60's. Then, they really were vicious, violent reactionaries.........and in the pay of Washington.

One thing that has amazed me over the last week or so is the ignorance of commentators - including some Egyptians - of the history of politics in Egypt. The claim has been made several times that Egypt has never had a revolution in thousands of years of history and yet I count 3, 1882, 1919 and 1952. Now 2011, even if ultimately defeated, makes 4 in the modern era which must make Egyptians premier league when it comes to revolution.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
Even the Muslim Brotherhood - seemingly everyone's favourite bogeymen - don't fall into that category.

The MB are nothing like they were in the 1950's and 60's. Then, they really were vicious, violent reactionaries.........and in the pay of Washington.

One thing that has amazed me over the last week or so is the ignorance of commentators - including some Egyptians - of the history of politics in Egypt. The claim has been made several times that Egypt has never had a revolution in thousands of years of history and yet I count 3, 1882, 1919 and 1952. Now 2011, even if ultimately defeated, makes 4 in the modern era which must make Egyptians premier league when it comes to revolution.
,,,and you know more about Egyptian politics than everybody else, how exactly? It's all relative surely. Compared to other potentially volatile nations, Egypt has generally followed the route of peaceful transition.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth

He has gone through the exact same phases that Ben Ali went through

1. He said he would enact reforms.
2 He said he would not run for presidency again and that he would fix the chaos.
3. He said he would resign and then he left the country.

Mubarak just passed phase 2

The 11 Countries At Risk of Becoming The Next Egypt

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-next-egypt-2011-1#
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
That's because the Saudis refuse to do manual work.............. full stop. End of.

It's one of the reasons I like Bahrainis - no exagerated sense of self-importance.
Omanis are even better in that regard, i.e. no averse to taking blue collar jobs. I would dearly love to see some alternative to oil in my lifetime, if nothing else just to see the haughty Saudis brought down several notches.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking

The NeoConservatives , Israel and American right wingers have been pushing for the MB bogeman just so that they legitimize their excuse to support a pro US and Israel dictator.

Israel/Netanyahu has been critical of Obama for the mild vocla support Obama gave to the pro democrasy Egyptian movement. What is it we hear all the time, how Israel is the only democrasy in the region, and ofcourse Israel and her US allies make dam sure no other democrasy emerges in the MidEast unless it is Iran or Syria.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I worked in the 'British International School Cairo'

"Where are you going on your summer holidays Nour?"

" we are going to stay in the Dubai Hilton for a week, then our villa in Capri, then our apartment iin Paris, then our apartment in London. We will spend our last 2 weeks in Sharm on our yacht"

Obscene.
My elder two kids went there, when it was still in Heliopolis, in 1987/8 ish.

That thin stratum at the top of Egyptian society is, as you say, obscenely rich. And then you travel round a bit and see so much deep poverty; I worked in Beni Suef, which had the dubious honour of being recognised by the WHO as the poorest city in the World. The contrast is stomach-churning.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:54 am
Banned

ShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My elder two kids went there, when it was still in Heliopolis, in 1987/8 ish.

That thin stratum at the top of Egyptian society is, as you say, obscenely rich. And then you travel round a bit and see so much deep poverty; I worked in Beni Suef, which had the dubious honour of being recognised by the WHO as the poorest city in the World. The contrast is stomach-churning.
Is it worse than in Dubai? Honestly is there anything worse than Dubai's labour camps?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShakeABaby
Is it worse than in Dubai? Honestly is there anything worse than Dubai's labour camps?
about 3/4 of Egypt I would say.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:03 am
Banned

ShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really niceShakeABaby is just really nice

I predict that the Egyptian people willl break the shackles of despotism, but one thing is becoming quite clear to me:: The US and British governments are proving to be no friend of theirs.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, because although they're truly awful, they're transient. Egypt's poverty has been there a long time, and I don't really see that the current events will make much improvement.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The streets of Cairo 4 years ago made a very depressing and upsetting commute. I saw gut wrenching sights - for example on different occassions I saw at least two dead bodies at the side of the beltway (one had a newspaper politely laid over the face). Wheelchair bound beggards with open wounds, old women begging/selling tissues on the Nile Conrniche. Driving past the city of the living and dead was also awful - What kind of gvernment allows shanties to be set up in graveyards?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

anyone been watching Sky News? shocking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.