The EU after Brexit

Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The EU after Brexit

Originally Posted by Scamp
Do you honestly think the Italians would have done a better job, economically, without the EU? I mean, the Lira wasn't exactly a shining example was it?

Anyway, pointless discussion.

Yeah, once you're in you can't be in-in or inner or double-in, the only other way is out.

Don't confuse the nationalists. What made Britain 'Great' wasn't the French or Brittany, it was rations and leaving your doors unlocked and chemical castration and cheap housing and all that great stuff.
The Italian economy needs a cheaper currency. It doesn't matter that the Lira wasn't as valuable as the deutschmark. What matters is that the high value of the Euro put Italy at a severe disadvantage with the northern EU economies. Namely Germany. That's a major reason why Italy has been in an economic straightjacket and their real per capita income is the same today as 20 years ago. The euro has crippled Italy's ability to increase productivity. There are many reasons why and much of it has to do with the structuring of Italy's economic model, which isn't like Germany or the Netherlands. Anyway, it illustrates the problem of a one size fits all currency on a continent with vastly different economies.

Regarding your last comment, one of the saddest things of today's time is the contemptuous sneering at British history. As nations go we have a remarkable history with remarkable accomplishment and output but apparently taking pride in that makes you a red faced gammon.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Don't confuse the nationalists. What made Britain 'Great' wasn't the French or Brittany, it was rations and leaving your doors unlocked and chemical castration and cheap housing and all that great stuff.
You said it yourself “was“. Nothing in your list exists anymore.

The only thing I really find great in Britain is our cultural freedoms and these are being eroded by the day.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 9:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The Italian economy needs a cheaper currency. It doesn't matter that the Lira wasn't as valuable as the deutschmark. What matters is that the high value of the Euro put Italy at a severe disadvantage with the northern EU economies. Namely Germany. That's a major reason why Italy has been in an economic straightjacket and their real per capita income is the same today as 20 years ago. The euro has crippled Italy's ability to increase productivity. There are many reasons why and much of it has to do with the structuring of Italy's economic model, which isn't like Germany or the Netherlands. Anyway, it illustrates the problem of a one size fits all currency on a continent with vastly different economies.

Regarding your last comment, one of the saddest things of today's time is the contemptuous sneering at British history. As nations go we have a remarkable history with remarkable accomplishment and output but apparently taking pride in that makes you a red faced gammon.
I agree on the Euro in many respects and am eternally grateful we never entered. The Italian Lira wasn't as valuable as the DM because it wasn't as valuable as bog roll. THAT isn't the EU's or the Euro's fault.

Not at all, I'm just sick of the constant peering back at what was. See below.

Originally Posted by Millhouse

You said it yourself “was“. Nothing in your list exists anymore.

The only thing I really find great in Britain is our cultural freedoms and these are being eroded by the day.
Exactly, good things potentially.

People seem to think that the 'Great' was put in long ago and then stopped.

Britain is a fantastically 'Great' place with many current things to be proud of. It doesn't have to be something old that we did, created, invented, established, revolutionised or way in which we behaved. It could be modern. It could be that we allow gay marriage or that we helped make (badly it transpired) the European Space Agency's Mars rover, the internet, DNA databases to protect against crims, the Shard, Jony Ive and that in 2016; almost 9 in 10 people did something charitable and one in six volunteered. What's so great about looking backwards?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
more likely to fall I think. If you're earning cash outside the UK, the combination of fx rates and falling house prices could doubly work in your favour.

what is affordable? Everyone's different, plus there's a huge difference between London area, and north.

plenty of great houses to be had in the north for not that much money.
I wouldn't want to live in the north despite low house prices. I would overall be hesitant to buy at present until I can be sure that I can actually move to U.K. after Brexit or whether I will need to go through a headache causing visa process to live in U.K. if free movement will not continue.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 3:33 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I wouldn't want to live in the north despite low house prices. I would overall be hesitant to buy at present until I can be sure that I can actually move to U.K. after Brexit or whether I will need to go through a headache causing visa process to live in U.K. if free movement will not continue.
each to their own. Depends what you're looking for. IMO Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds etc are all fantastic places to live.

Brexit or no Brexit makes no difference to me. I'll still need 78k GPB in savings before I can obtain a visa for my family to move the UK, unless there's a change in the law.
​​​​​​
I have no sympathy for Europeans complaining in comparison.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty rare for me to agree with anything from the Guardian but Crace's summary of the deal quagmire is right on target.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hing-is-agreed

I don't see how May can survive this vote. If it was a narrow defeat she'd probably linger on and try to get a second vote. But signs are suggesting a massive 400+ defeat including as many as 100 Tories (maybe even more), so she'd have to resign, wouldn't she? The magnitude of the defeat would make a second vote on the same deal pointless. Then what next? A new PM by Christmas? Who?
Old Nov 27th 2018, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

each to their own. Depends what you're looking for. IMO Liverpool, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds etc are all fantastic places to live.

Brexit or no Brexit makes no difference to me. I'll still need 78k GPB in savings before I can obtain a visa for my family to move the UK, unless there's a change in the law.
​​​​​​
I have no sympathy for Europeans complaining in comparison.
I'm not complaining as I have no desire to move to U.K. I was just saying that I don't share your optimism about house prices.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

May's deal summed up in 45 seconds from the eighties.

Old Nov 29th 2018, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

I'll still need 78k GPB in savings before I can obtain a visa for my family to move the UK, unless there's a change in the law.
​​​​​​
What's this? It was about GBP 18k when I applied for UK spouse visa for my wife about 2 years ago, has it changed?
Old Nov 29th 2018, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gavtek
What's this? It was about GBP 18k when I applied for UK spouse visa for my wife about 2 years ago, has it changed?
There is an income route (18K) and a savings route which I understood was 65K not 78K.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Ah yeah that sounds familiar. It's a bit of a catch-22 - I want to use my savings as a deposit to buy a house to eventually relocate to in the UK, but if I do that then I won't meet the savings threshold and won't be able to move my family until I secure a job. And if I keep my savings, I won't have a house for my family to live in when we move back, so I'll have to rent something.

Still not as ridiculous as having to provide e-mails, letters and photographs to prove that I have actually met my wife in person when we have 2 kids...
Old Nov 29th 2018, 3:05 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
There is an income route (18K) and a savings route which I understood was 65K not 78K.
it's more when you have dependant kids.

18,600 income per year
3,800 1st child
2,400 2nd child

total 24,800

savings must be 16,000 + 2.5x the shortfall in income requirement.

so if no job: 16,000 + 24,800 x 2.5
=16,000 + 62,000
=78,000

which is a lot of money compared to any twobit Romanian who can walk in under FOM with his family and £50 in his pocket.

I'm a remainer on the whole but the difference between the rules for EU married to EU, and UK married to Non-EU, do strike me as unfair.

Not that I've seen anything from anyone about the ending of FOM leading to different rules for Brits. Labour have said they'd make things more reasonable, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gavtek
Ah yeah that sounds familiar. It's a bit of a catch-22 - I want to use my savings as a deposit to buy a house to eventually relocate to in the UK, but if I do that then I won't meet the savings threshold and won't be able to move my family until I secure a job. And if I keep my savings, I won't have a house for my family to live in when we move back, so I'll have to rent something.

Still not as ridiculous as having to provide e-mails, letters and photographs to prove that I have actually met my wife in person when we have 2 kids...
it sucks.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Fairness is not what Tory Governments do.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

it's more when you have dependant kids.

18,600 income per year
3,800 1st child
2,400 2nd child

total 24,800

savings must be 16,000 + 2.5x the shortfall in income requirement.

so if no job: 16,000 + 24,800 x 2.5
=16,000 + 62,000
=78,000

which is a lot of money compared to any twobit Romanian who can walk in under FOM with his family and £50 in his pocket.

I'm a remainer on the whole but the difference between the rules for EU married to EU, and UK married to Non-EU, do strike me as unfair.

Not that I've seen anything from anyone about the ending of FOM leading to different rules for Brits. Labour have said they'd make things more reasonable, but I'll believe it when I see it.
ah. But if it were different we would effectively have FOM with india.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.