British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The end of an era (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/end-era-745154/)

NorthernLad Jan 16th 2012 10:29 am

The end of an era

"The hotel, which is more than 33 years old, is famed in the UAE for its popular hangouts, Rattle Snake and The Red Lion" :rofl:

http://www.thenational.ae/business/t...opolitan-hotel

Jim Smith Jan 16th 2012 11:06 am

Re: The end of an era

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9844997)
"The hotel, which is more than 33 years old, is famed in the UAE for its popular hangouts, Rattle Snake and The Red Lion" :rofl:

http://www.thenational.ae/business/t...opolitan-hotel

Pity in a way I guess. Never rated the Red Lion much, especially as one who likes to read a newspaper. That was impossible for many years although it is better now.
Over the years they have always had some good restaurants there, in my opinion, but over the last 5 years or so they have certainly jacked up the prices like many others?

Blue Cat Jan 16th 2012 11:11 am

why pull it down, it's making money no doubt and they say they have not decided what to build on it ..... yeah bring on a 50 storey skyscraper at 1500 a night

Ethos83 Jan 16th 2012 12:00 pm

I laughed.

The hotel claims a 90%+ occupancy rate and they're still tearing it down? For something yet to be defined.

Only in Dubai....

Methinks the powers that be are ordering the Naboodahs to tear down the hotel because it looks out of place next to the fancy schmancy towers of Business Bay.

Too bad. I enjoyed the place. Liked the laid back non-pretentious vibe of the Red Lion and watched most of the World Cup games there in the summer of 2010. A part of old expat Dubai, indeed.

winter Jan 16th 2012 12:45 pm

It also means I and many others are going to be made homeless, and I like living here :(

Norm_uk Jan 16th 2012 2:14 pm

One of the few remaining places in Dubai frequented by normal people with vices to match their virtues.

I am sure they'll replace it with another soulless multistory with high price rooms, overpriced booze and nothing else worth mentioning.

They have no sense of history in the UAE do they? Big and shiny, always big and shiny.

N.

winter Jan 16th 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9845355)

I am sure they'll replace it with another soulless multistory with high price rooms, overpriced booze and nothing else worth mentioning.

They have no sense of history in the UAE do they? Big and shiny, always big and shiny.

N.

yeah my understanding is that it has to be replaced with a multistory, but it also displaces the people living in the apartment blocks next to the hotel. They are full, so again seems like a silly decision. :(

Sandboy Jan 16th 2012 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by winter (Post 9845396)
yeah my understanding is that it has to be replaced with a multistory, but it also displaces the people living in the apartment blocks next to the hotel. They are full, so again seems like a silly decision. :(

I was told a year ago they would build a new hotel , shame, there are few places left like the Red Lion

Patsy Stoned Jan 16th 2012 2:51 pm

and ofcourse the lovely i2 lounge, a hidden gem of a late drinking lounge bar with fab music.

commander Jan 16th 2012 3:00 pm

Bollox, I go swimming there. Love smashing out some lengths whilst the whore's are recovering from their night shift

winter Jan 16th 2012 3:45 pm

I am going to lose my home, it makes me feel very sad :(

Spugsy Jan 17th 2012 9:40 am

Aye so you said, plenty of other whore hangouts y'know?

rowell Jan 17th 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by winter (Post 9845568)
I am going to lose my home, it makes me feel very sad :(

It will be some time yet the infrastructure for what they are wanting to do is not available on the site

rowell Jan 17th 2012 11:51 am

[QUOTE=Ethos83;9845126]I laughed.

The hotel claims a 90%+ occupancy rate and they're still tearing it down? For something yet to be defined.

Only in Dubai....

90% occupancy rate on the rooms that are actually suitable and available is what they really mean as explained to me by a well known group of hotels who at the time had made 40% of their rooms available to be occupied. This information followed after questioning where everyone was at breakfast time as I was told the hotel only had couple of rooms left.

winter Jan 17th 2012 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9847507)
Aye so you said, plenty of other whore hangouts y'know?

Excuse me not a whore, I live in the habtoor residence, and that will be torn down along with the hotel :thumbdown: