Employee entitlements

Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:19 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice
Default Employee entitlements

Hi guys

Firstly HNY and all that - hope 2010 will be better than the last one. I am running a free zone company in Knowledge Village (owned by a US holding company) and we are looking to take our first employee. We have offered someone a contract and she has asked for her 30 calendar days annual leave and ticket home as per UAE law. I have been to four different people including a government source and all answers are different - does anyone KNOW what we need to offer to comply?? Tried the Labour people but never get an answer!!! Grrrrrrr.

Thought I would try the forum as usually spot on with advice and local sources have proved (quel surprise) unreliable and baseless. Any help appreciated!!! Or a decent contact.

DM
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employee entitlements

Originally Posted by Daniel Marsden
Hi guys

Firstly HNY and all that - hope 2010 will be better than the last one. I am running a free zone company in Knowledge Village (owned by a US holding company) and we are looking to take our first employee. We have offered someone a contract and she has asked for her 30 calendar days annual leave and ticket home as per UAE law. I have been to four different people including a government source and all answers are different - does anyone KNOW what we need to offer to comply?? Tried the Labour people but never get an answer!!! Grrrrrrr.

Thought I would try the forum as usually spot on with advice and local sources have proved (quel surprise) unreliable and baseless. Any help appreciated!!! Or a decent contact.

DM
think the 30 cal days holiday is correct but the flight home applies only at the end of the contract. many companies do though give an annual ticket home.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:28 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
think the 30 cal days holiday is correct but the flight home applies only at the end of the contract. many companies do though give an annual ticket home.
The 30 days include weekends usually. It works out to 22 working days I think, or 4 weeks not 30 working days.

these may be useful to you:-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7682539/Uae-Labour-Law
http://www.zu.ac.ae/library/html/UAE...ELabourLaw.pdf
http://www.kslg.net/doc/UAE_Employme...oc_26Aug08.pdf

Last edited by Autonomy; Jan 6th 2010 at 8:34 am.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:30 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Thanks for this - we are offering a permanent contract (as permanent as they can be anyway) so would we have to offer a ticket home every year...?

Cheers

Dan
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

we have people here with less than 30 days.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

DM
does anyone KNOW what we need to offer to comply??

Hey Dan, I've thought of a great way of making sure you don't fall foul of the UAE labour laws....

.... why not offer her much more than the legal minimum???
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:41 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Originally Posted by The Dean
does anyone KNOW what we need to offer to comply??

Hey Dan, I've thought of a great way of making sure you don't fall foul of the UAE labour laws....

.... why not offer her much more than the legal minimum???
We've already made an offer and in terms of salary it is much far more than market because we have found someone who merits a higher salary. I just need to ensure that aside from being fair that we don't fall foul of the law, whatever that may be... Unlike other companies in the UAE we aren't trying to manipulate people's circumstances. I'm not offering the legal minimum - I didn't say that - I want to understand what it is... That's all.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

We've already made an offer and in terms of salary it is much far more than market because we have found someone who merits a higher salary. I just need to ensure that aside from being fair that we don't fall foul of the law, whatever that may be... Unlike other companies in the UAE we aren't trying to manipulate people's circumstances. I'm not offering the legal minimum - I didn't say that - I want to understand what it is... That's all.
Fair enough - I was only teasing. Nice to find an employer that doesn't take the 'let's get the cheapest possible person' attitude..........
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:45 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Originally Posted by The Dean
Fair enough - I was only teasing. Nice to find an employer that doesn't take the 'let's get the cheapest possible person' attitude..........
No worries - to be honest I could have found someone months ago but given that the business is me plus one other right now that other needs to be decent and we need to pay accordingly. Just frustrating (same old frustration) that answers are different wherever you turn. Got to love the UAE.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
we have people here with less than 30 days.
Our company contracts vary (the older contracts are 30days) as people used to take the month off (generally in the summer) back when this city was a real expat city / hardship posting.

Now was are using 22 working days (which is roughly the same) but cater to the more common habit now of taking shorter breaks (people were milking the 30day thing).
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:00 am