British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/emiratis-fastest-asians-slowest-760921/)

jackthehat Jun 7th 2012 2:12 am

Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics?

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/dr...west-1.1032751

Patsy Stoned Jun 7th 2012 2:51 am

Re: Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest

But in the same regular light motor vehicle category, the five driving schools in Dubai — two more are to be licensed soon — charge anywhere between Dh2,000 and Dh2,400 for the prescribed minimum of 40 practical classes and eight theory lectures.

40 lessons!!!! WTF???? I had 10 classes and passed 1st time :)

jackthehat Jun 7th 2012 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10104858)
But in the same regular light motor vehicle category, the five driving schools in Dubai — two more are to be licensed soon — charge anywhere between Dh2,000 and Dh2,400 for the prescribed minimum of 40 practical classes and eight theory lectures.

40 lessons!!!! WTF???? I had 10 classes and passed 1st time :)

Nothing to do with Road Safety, or teaching people to drive! - A money making scam! (103,000 Applications, Average Dhs 2,250 Per Course = A lot of money!)

A few years back the 'Belhasa Procession' used to choke the streets around Al Wasl Road. One car after the other doing 20Kph! - What the hell does that teach people?

The Dean Jun 7th 2012 3:14 am

56 classes is the average? Hmmmm............

"I'm sorry, Mr Khan, but I'm still not happy with the way you turn the ignition key at the start of your lessons.... shall we book another four classes for you?"

auzdafluff Jun 7th 2012 4:23 am

What makes me laugh is that if they really concerned about road safety, they'd take more licences off people, and say you have to redo a minimum of ten lessons before you can retake your test.

And I'm sorry, but if it takes you more than five times to pass your test in the space of a year, you should be banned from driving.

jackthehat Jun 7th 2012 5:27 am

Adam Kechil came here from the UK in 2005 to 'Reform' the standards of driving instruction, at Belhasa Driving School. I think he lasted about a month!

Perhaps we should start a 'Where are they Now?' Thread!

Boomhauer Jun 7th 2012 7:06 am

How much of it is due to Emiratis imposing artificial barriers on Asians? When I lived in AD, I heard the complaint that locals deliberately made it hard for Asians to get lisences, to protect the taxi business which many locals make money off of. 'Course locals also make money off sellling cars so they try to balance the financial interests of both (car dealers and taxi owners/silent partners).

Maxima Jun 7th 2012 7:11 am

Rather than artificial barriers on Asians maybe its the lack of barriers the other way round that makes it a bit too easy for some to pass...

jackthehat Jun 7th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10105085)
How much of it is due to Emiratis imposing artificial barriers on Asians? When I lived in AD, I heard the complaint that locals deliberately made it hard for Asians to get lisences, to protect the taxi business which many locals make money off of. 'Course locals also make money off sellling cars so they try to balance the financial interests of both (car dealers and taxi owners/silent partners).

Just an observation, but how many Philippino Taxi Drivers do you see in the UAE? The Chinese are here in droves also; and you do not see any Chinese Taxi Drivers either!

jackthehat Jun 7th 2012 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 10105091)
Rather than artificial barriers on Asians maybe its the lack of barriers the other way round that makes it a bit too easy for some to pass...

It would be nice to see the split between Muslim and Non-Muslim Pass Rates!

britexpat76 Jun 7th 2012 8:05 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10105094)
Just an observation, but how many Philippino Taxi Drivers do you see in the UAE? The Chinese are here in droves also; and you do not see any Chinese Taxi Drivers either!

Thats down to how much people are willing to work for. The flips and chinese wont entertain AED 2500 a month that a cabbie earns.

Boomhauer Jun 7th 2012 8:05 am

When I lived in AD , virtually all the taxi drivers were Pathans. So what's the taxi driver nationalities now?

jackthehat Jun 7th 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10105165)
When I lived in AD , virtually all the taxi drivers were Pathans. So what's the taxi driver nationalities now?

I know! - Nepalese seem to be the Flavour of the Month in Dubai!

Meow Jun 7th 2012 10:00 am

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10104972)
Adam Kechil came here from the UK in 2005 to 'Reform' the standards of driving instruction, at Belhasa Driving School. I think he lasted about a month!

Perhaps we should start a 'Where are they Now?' Thread!

He's still in the UAE. Used to present a programme about cars on local TV and I think he is still doing something with cars, but is also some sort of personal trainer.

Norm_uk Jun 7th 2012 12:50 pm

I've seen quite a few Filipino taxi drivers in Abu Dhabi - most of them are a lot better than the "asians" (who I assume are Indian and Pakistani).

Not many Chinese men would leave China to work as a taxi driver anywhere - half the Chinese in the UAE run businesses and have Filipinos working for them.

N.