Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest

Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest

Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics?

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/dr...west-1.1032751
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emiratis are fastest, Asians slowest

But in the same regular light motor vehicle category, the five driving schools in Dubai — two more are to be licensed soon — charge anywhere between Dh2,000 and Dh2,400 for the prescribed minimum of 40 practical classes and eight theory lectures.

40 lessons!!!! WTF???? I had 10 classes and passed 1st time
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
But in the same regular light motor vehicle category, the five driving schools in Dubai — two more are to be licensed soon — charge anywhere between Dh2,000 and Dh2,400 for the prescribed minimum of 40 practical classes and eight theory lectures.

40 lessons!!!! WTF???? I had 10 classes and passed 1st time
Nothing to do with Road Safety, or teaching people to drive! - A money making scam! (103,000 Applications, Average Dhs 2,250 Per Course = A lot of money!)

A few years back the 'Belhasa Procession' used to choke the streets around Al Wasl Road. One car after the other doing 20Kph! - What the hell does that teach people?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

56 classes is the average? Hmmmm............

"I'm sorry, Mr Khan, but I'm still not happy with the way you turn the ignition key at the start of your lessons.... shall we book another four classes for you?"
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:23 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

What makes me laugh is that if they really concerned about road safety, they'd take more licences off people, and say you have to redo a minimum of ten lessons before you can retake your test.

And I'm sorry, but if it takes you more than five times to pass your test in the space of a year, you should be banned from driving.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Adam Kechil came here from the UK in 2005 to 'Reform' the standards of driving instruction, at Belhasa Driving School. I think he lasted about a month!

Perhaps we should start a 'Where are they Now?' Thread!

Last edited by jackthehat; Jun 7th 2012 at 7:21 am. Reason: Last Paragraph
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

How much of it is due to Emiratis imposing artificial barriers on Asians? When I lived in AD, I heard the complaint that locals deliberately made it hard for Asians to get lisences, to protect the taxi business which many locals make money off of. 'Course locals also make money off sellling cars so they try to balance the financial interests of both (car dealers and taxi owners/silent partners).
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than artificial barriers on Asians maybe its the lack of barriers the other way round that makes it a bit too easy for some to pass...
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
How much of it is due to Emiratis imposing artificial barriers on Asians? When I lived in AD, I heard the complaint that locals deliberately made it hard for Asians to get lisences, to protect the taxi business which many locals make money off of. 'Course locals also make money off sellling cars so they try to balance the financial interests of both (car dealers and taxi owners/silent partners).
Just an observation, but how many Philippino Taxi Drivers do you see in the UAE? The Chinese are here in droves also; and you do not see any Chinese Taxi Drivers either!

Last edited by jackthehat; Jun 7th 2012 at 7:24 am.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maxima
Rather than artificial barriers on Asians maybe its the lack of barriers the other way round that makes it a bit too easy for some to pass...
It would be nice to see the split between Muslim and Non-Muslim Pass Rates!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:05 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Just an observation, but how many Philippino Taxi Drivers do you see in the UAE? The Chinese are here in droves also; and you do not see any Chinese Taxi Drivers either!
Thats down to how much people are willing to work for. The flips and chinese wont entertain AED 2500 a month that a cabbie earns.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in AD , virtually all the taxi drivers were Pathans. So what's the taxi driver nationalities now?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
When I lived in AD , virtually all the taxi drivers were Pathans. So what's the taxi driver nationalities now?
I know! - Nepalese seem to be the Flavour of the Month in Dubai!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Adam Kechil came here from the UK in 2005 to 'Reform' the standards of driving instruction, at Belhasa Driving School. I think he lasted about a month!

Perhaps we should start a 'Where are they Now?' Thread!
He's still in the UAE. Used to present a programme about cars on local TV and I think he is still doing something with cars, but is also some sort of personal trainer.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:50 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen quite a few Filipino taxi drivers in Abu Dhabi - most of them are a lot better than the "asians" (who I assume are Indian and Pakistani).

Not many Chinese men would leave China to work as a taxi driver anywhere - half the Chinese in the UAE run businesses and have Filipinos working for them.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.