Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emirates ‘overcharges UAE residents for outbound flights’

Wikiposts

Emirates ‘overcharges UAE residents for outbound flights’

Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:07 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates ‘overcharges UAE residents for outbound flights’

Ditto Mission. When returning to the UK depression sets in on the aircraft's descent and said depression only gets worse as the visit goes on. It finally lifts once all bags are checked in, we're through immigration and sitting in the lounge with a glass of champagne.

On the subject of flight prices though we recently went to KL. Flight direct MCT - KUL - MCT. Looked to book online with Oman Air and they wanted something over OMR3,300 for our tickets ( two of us travelling business class but not fully flexible ) and we couldn't find any way to get the cost down. So we went into the travel agent in City Centre Muscat and managed to get the same tickets for OMR1,200. No brainer - it would only have cost us OMR150 each had we needed to change the tickets and we didn't get the 'free' airport transfers at the Muscat end of the flights ... big deal.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Despite the competition (and there's a lot of it) the reason Emirates gets away with high prices for passengers originating in DXB is because the vast bulk of their passengers are in transit. You board the plane in Dubai for the UK (or HK or Sydney), most of your passengers will have originated elsewhere. Emirates captures that market through a combination of high quality services and reasonable prices.

But for the DXB market they've learned UAE customers are willing to pay high prices just for the sake of a direct flight so they keep overcharging. Probably because a lot of it is annual flights. I know when I use my annual flight, the company's travel office books the flight I want without any questions, even if it's 2,000 AED more expensive than a competitor flight.... same for business travel.
maybe in business. at the back its become very poor. definitely a long way off what they used to be
Old Oct 10th 2016, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only person who genuinely looks forward to returning to the UK

One thing I'll say for BA is that they have premium economy. I've flown those a few times and it's fantastic. Not business, but not cattle class either. Civilised. Does Emirates have anything comparable?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying to Australia for New Year, flying first to UK to start the journey and quick family visit as it is c£1000 cheaper in business...

My flights to UK are as per Scamp describes.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I'll say for BA is that they have premium economy. I've flown those a few times and it's fantastic. Not business, but not cattle class either. Civilised. Does Emirates have anything comparable?
No.virgin and qantas do on the route!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 3:50 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't, its shite. Also I always try to fly etihad to save the miles. Gonna fly BC for the Lions tour for free
Old Oct 10th 2016, 3:58 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think they have to be seriously considering this. I was in Nigeria last week, down to one flight a day and even then the flights were still not full.

Emirates plans premium economy class as customers tighten travel budgets | The National
Old Oct 10th 2016, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I do, purely because family are there and it's normally once a year for Xmas so that warm fuzzy feeling is always nice. It is a ball ache though and mightily expensive.

Emirates always said their Economy is as good as most Premiums so why bother.

Originally Posted by iggle
No I don't, its shite. Also I always try to fly etihad to save the miles. Gonna fly BC for the Lions tour for free
....Aaaaand now I'm not going to go to the Lions tour. Cheers for ruining it Iggle.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 4:40 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I do, purely because family are there and it's normally once a year for Xmas so that warm fuzzy feeling is always nice. It is a ball ache though and mightily expensive.

....Aaaaand now I'm not going to go to the Lions tour. Cheers for ruining it Iggle.
Lets go on tour together! Scamp and Iggle!!

When i flew to Heathrow with Etihad, the seat by the window (two isle) was perfection. Not cramped at all.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

No, I do too, absolutely love it, the highlight of my year.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by iggle
Lets go on tour together! Scamp and Iggle!!

When i flew to Heathrow with Etihad, the seat by the window (two isle) was perfection. Not cramped at all.
I'd love to go. Mrs doesn't want to go near Oz though. We'd have to do both and we have a wedding in the UK to go to next summer.

Etihad / Qatar / Emirates all have really good economy.

Service can be hit or miss but generally above average. The TV system is worth the extra money I reckon.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You'd think they have to be seriously considering this. I was in Nigeria last week, down to one flight a day and even then the flights were still not full.

Emirates plans premium economy class as customers tighten travel budgets | The National
Nigeria flights used to be packed but most of it was Nigerians transiting through Dubai to Europe and other destinations. Nigerian economy is screwed at the moment so many people don't have money to travel. It doesn't help that Emirates almost doubled their fares on this sector a couple of months back.

Like other airlines Emirates have large amounts of cash stuck in Nigeria that they are unable to repatriate due to tightened currency regulations. On top of that they need to call in Ghana to fuel as there isn't enough Jet available in Nigeria.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
No, I do too, absolutely love it, the highlight of my year.
I like to go back but I'm also happy to leave at the end of the trip.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd love to go. Mrs doesn't want to go near Oz though. We'd have to do both and we have a wedding in the UK to go to next summer.

Etihad / Qatar / Emirates all have really good economy.

Service can be hit or miss but generally above average. The TV system is worth the extra money I reckon.
Emirates and Etihad have terrible economy if you get a 777. 1 extra seat crammed in each row. service has really spiraled downwards.

TV system is the only real positive
Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is:

BA economy - slight gap - Emirates / Qatar economy - bigger gap - BA Premium Economy - big gap - Business on all flights.

BA's media package has improved greatly in recent years so it's almost a moot point. The real advantage of Emirates is the slightly more room in economy. BA Premium gives you noticeably more room than Emirates economy, at half the price of business on either BA or Emirates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.