Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

EID - September 2016 - Ideas

EID - September 2016 - Ideas

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:37 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EID - September 2016 - Ideas

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Best place around here.
Better than Seychelles?? I'd expect it to be dirt cheap.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:38 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Sri Lanka for 4 years during the late nineties and visit every 2-3 years. One of the most beautiful places on earth if you can get over the poverty.

Its like India without the shit in the streets.

Amazing beaches and really really nice people.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:45 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
Lived in Sri Lanka for 4 years during the late nineties and visit every 2-3 years. One of the most beautiful places on earth if you can get over the poverty.

Its like India without the shit in the streets.

Amazing beaches and really really nice people.
Did you enjoy the civil war? Thats over right? I don't want my mum having to put a sad face on Daily Mail. She'll milk it and make me come over like a modern day Jesus.

Young Iggles, was full of life. He cared passionately for the poor, blacks and Jews. His favorite athlete was Mo Farah, and his dying wish was that Mo Farah, came to his funeral and sing the British National anthem.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:49 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
Did you enjoy the civil war? Thats over right? I don't want my mum having to put a sad face on Daily Mail. She'll milk it and make me come over like a modern day Jesus.

Young Iggles, was full of life. He cared passionately for the poor, blacks and Jews. His favorite athlete was Mo Farah, and his dying wish was that Mo Farah, came to his funeral and sing the British National anthem.
Yep, was there with 3 kids under 10 just as the war really came to Colombo. Exiting and scary times. I think it made me the expat I am today.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by TheShed
Yep, was there with 3 kids under 10 just as the war really came to Colombo. Exiting and scary times. I think it made me the expat I am today.
Soft and cuddly?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:55 am
Wannabe Cycling God

Originally Posted by Scamp
Soft and cuddly?
Hardened to anything which is why I'm so chilled in Middle East .
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, and I can see why.

I found it ok - worth going to once, but I didn't fall in love with the place the way some people do. The beaches aren't the beaches of Thailand or the Maldives, and while it's definitely a lot more orderly than India proper, it also lacks the mesmerising chaos that defines India and the cultural venues aren't as interesting as those in India.

Depends what you're looking for. Want a cheap weekend holiday? Go for it. Decent place to relax by the beach for a few days with a low key third world vibe to keep things interesting enough.

I've heard the same and the opposite.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
and while it's definitely a lot more orderly than India proper, it also lacks the mesmerising chaos that defines India and the cultural venues aren't as interesting as those in India.
India is a shithole, why would anyone want to visit "Chaos" for a holiday. If I wanna experience that I'd just drive up the M69 to Leicester.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I used to justify my travels by saying it broadens the mind.

I see I've found the one exception in you

India is a shithole, why would anyone want to visit "Chaos" for a holiday. If I wanna experience that I'd just drive up the M69 to Leicester.
Go to Sri Lanka. Have fun. Come back and whinge about it.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

visa for India is an expensive hassle too, Sri Lanka is easy.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

visa for India is an expensive hassle too, Sri Lanka is easy.
My one-year multi-entry visa for India isn't a hassle, it's a concern.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

My one-year multi-entry visa for India isn't a hassle, it's a concern.
very true! A single entry is about 700Dh, multiple one year something like 2000dh. That's a lot to pay to get the shits.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

very true! A single entry is about 700Dh, multiple one year something like 2000dh. That's a lot to pay to get the shits.
I took your advice and packed about 15 cereal bars.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving my jeep down to the sugar dunes in Oman. It's 8-10c cooler down there...
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Whoa. Just googled it. Looks amazing.

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Driving my jeep down to the sugar dunes in Oman. It's 8-10c cooler down there...
I like Oman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.