Education

Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education

Originally Posted by Scamp
The thing is, it is what it is.

I don't really disagree with either of you. There are excellent, average and shit teachers as well as schools.

Choice is 'limited' in Qatar, but in Dubai - there are loads of schools, no?

The schools here are not all profit-making, there are non-profit ones but I've no idea what they charge. The group mentioned and who's leader is quoted are a huge business. They own their supply chain, up and down and are unrelenting in charging parents for the extras wherever possible.

Parents can fight it by not using them, but they have to because they have kids here and want them to get educated...BUT - if it became so expensive and the quality so poor then people would leave.
Yes, there are heaps of schools, and you rock up in Dubai and pay each of them AED500 per application or whatever it is these days. You have three kids, that's AED1,500 per school, you apply to. You have to apply to at least 20 schools and at least 18 of those will say, "sorry, don't have a place, never had a place to offer in the first place, just thought we'd take your money and not refund it". You'll choose the most expensive of the two crappy schools available thinking it's the best, it will turn out to not even have accreditation and the poor teachers are using the resources from their home country and trying to teach 20 kids using english, when only two of the kids in the class actually speak english. You'll have to change your kids to the cheaper but more established school you couldn't get a place at when you first arrived (but you become a little more pushy when you realise how ripped you've been for your first year). The whole schooling experience in Dubai will leave you with a very sour taste in your mouth - you'll return to your home country, stick them in a state school in an excellence program, pay next to nothing comparatively and have a much higher standard of education, that's my experience anyway.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Window dressing. The lesson that is given on assessment day is nothing like the one given all year round. It's impossible. That's why the teachers put so much effort into that day (vs. any other day)
You think it's any different in the UK?

The mrs worked with a couple of blokes, apparently both pretty hopeless. To the point where one was given a warning to improve his lessons, but the only way they could formalise it was to observe him. He got two weeks notice of the exact lesson they were watching....he performed amazingly well...suprisingly.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just because it's emotive for parents who all think their child is an untouchable, not-for-profit-making angel.
Says the man with no kids. I'll be interested to see how un-emotive you are once you have some kids and watch as some unreputable corporation takes advantage of your concern for your child's future to fatten their profit margins.

Mind you it seems that half the world has swallowed the corporate kool-aid that now makes it okay to profit from:
- Prisoners
- Pensioners
- Asylum Seekers
- War
- Children

Altho I had better not speak too loudly in here unless we have some peeps from our concerned corporate citizens, Serco or G4S

Last edited by Bongoman2; Apr 21st 2014 at 4:59 am.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You think it's any different in the UK?
Nope. I never said it was. The point I'm making is that KHDA (and OFSTEAD) assessments are hit and miss.

My wife used to work with a teacher who was shit - always on tinder during the lesson etc. Always got outstanding for the observed lessons.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
Says the man with no kids. I'll be interested to see how un-emotive you are once you have some kids and watch as some unreputable corporation takes advantage of your concern for your child's future to fatten their profit margins.
Whilst I don't really disagree with you, that the little cherubs need to receive the best possible education, if it were the greatest concern of any parent here and they didn't think the kid was being taught as well as possible then would they stay here?

BUT, everyone knows there are very few perfect schools, in the UK they're not all wonderful, the private schools there are even more expensive, so what do you do? Stay and complain / hope for the best / hope it improves / hope you get lucky. Just like every other issue that people have - rent prices / idiots etc etc.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bongoman2

Mind you it seems that half the world has swallowed the corporate kool-aid that now makes it okay to profit from:
- Prisoners
- Pensioners
- Asylum Seekers
- War
- Children

Altho I had better not speak too loudly in here unless we have some peeps from our concerned corporate citizens, Serco or G4S
I don't really think it's all alright, but it's the state of play and the way the world is now. All of those things are 'big business' and make a lot of money for a few people.

Nope. I never said it was. The point I'm making is that KHDA (and OFSTEAD) assessments are hit and miss.

My wife used to work with a teacher who was shit - always on tinder during the lesson etc. Always got outstanding for the observed lessons.
The assessments are a joke mate. My understanding is that in the UK it's nigh on impossible to get rid of a shit teacher - well, lots of hoops to jump through and plenty of chances to pull it out the bag.

In the mrs' school here are a whole range of types. Some that you stare at and wonder how they managed to get dressed, some that you think deserve double the pay because of the effort and care they go to trying to deliver quality.

Swings and helmets.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:28 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I don't really disagree with you, that the little cherubs need to receive the best possible education, if it were the greatest concern of any parent here and they didn't think the kid was being taught as well as possible then would they stay here?
That's bordering on the 'if you don't like it, then leave' argument...and it's not that simple.

We've been here over ten years and see this as our home, uprooting and going back to the UK is not an attractive option - for a start the company I work for has huge growth in this region compared to Europe.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
That's bordering on the 'if you don't like it, then leave' argument...and it's not that simple.

We've been here over ten years and see this as our home, uprooting and going back to the UK is not an attractive option - for a start the company I work for has huge growth in this region compared to Europe.
I know it's not. Which is why it becomes like every other 'issue' out here, one that 'we' (not me, yet), can moan about / hope for the best / try and get lucky with etc.

It is what it is, the thing I see frustrating most people is the disparity in quality not just between schools but between classes in each school. You might have the best teacher ever in Yr5, but in Yr6 you might end up with a ****ing helmet.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:13 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

BUT, everyone knows there are very few perfect schools, in the UK they're not all wonderful, the private schools there are even more expensive, so what do you do? Stay and complain / hope for the best / hope it improves / hope you get lucky. Just like every other issue that people have - rent prices / idiots etc etc.
Ah yes I remember when I was young, without any real responsibilities and had an answer for everything.

Its great to live in a black and white world, enjoy it while you can.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
But a mid-level private school in the UK is probably better not just academically but culturally for children - anyone with serious money of practically any nationality picks private schools in the UK, US, Australia or EU countries...not Dubai.

N.
We do not disagree on that.

The point being, is that the average Dubai school is no different than an average state school in the UK. Just because we are paying directly (rather than via taxes) - doesn't make it better. The expats of Dubai want marble in reception but want to pay for concrete.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Which would instead go to donations at the mosque and red crescent. If he's particularly observant he may even donate to charities that fund terrorism.

Let the man drink and keep us safe

N.
I recently bought a pair of LED slippers on ebay only to find that the seller was 'supporting Islam abroad'. I have no idea what that actually means but I assume it's funding Syria.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I recently bought a pair of LED slippers on ebay only to find that the seller was 'supporting Islam abroad'. I have no idea what that actually means but I assume it's funding Syria.
Personally I'm more concerned that you bought LED slippers.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Personally I'm more concerned that you bought LED slippers.
They have solved a problem that I didn't know I had.

Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to admit it, but they do make sense
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Ah yes I remember when I was young, without any real responsibilities and had an answer for everything.

Its great to live in a black and white world, enjoy it while you can.

I can't wait until I'm old with "real" responsibilities and can get away with having no useful input into a conversation. It looks awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.