Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Earthly Point of Twitter.....

The Earthly Point of Twitter.....

Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:46 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Earthly Point of Twitter.....

Originally Posted by The Dean
........... but Britsh comedy is SOOOO overrated - or just 'not rated' (because everyone knows it's crap).

Can somebody explain why the patronisingly unfunny garbage called "Last of the Summer Wine" has been on for almost as long as Coronation Street????
I am trying to think of some recent good British comedy...

I still love old stuff like The Good Life (no don't laugh - watch it again to realise just how witty it really is), Dad's Army & Blackadder.

My husband is from Yorkshire and loathes LotSW with a passion. It was always shite.

-
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Ever loved a comedy and then a year or 2 later realised it was sh.ite
For me, that would be 'Little Britain'.

Thought it was hilarious at first - I can't stand it now.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I am trying to think of some recent good British comedy...

I still love old stuff like The Good Life (no don't laugh - watch it again to realise just how witty it really is), Dad's Army & Blackadder.

My husband is from Yorkshire and loathes LotSW with a passion. It was always shite.

-
Blackadder was a work of genius (not a word I usually associate with Ben Elton) and is still brilliant whenever I see it, but Dad's Army has not worn well in my view. Ditto Fawlty Towers. Both remind me of second-rate pantomimes now (although I admit I enjoyed them at the time).
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:55 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Ever loved a comedy and then a year or 2 later realised it was sh.ite
For me, that would be 'Little Britain'.

Thought it was hilarious at first - I can't stand it now.

Overexposure I reckon, as often happens these days.

-
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:09 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The Office and Extras were pretty good, I thought...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:22 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I can't imagine what it must be like never to have seen an episode of:

The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Frasier
The Wire
Lost
Family Guy

amongst dozens of others!
the West Wing

Nuff said
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Dean
So, Autonomy, Blue Cat and Meow............

.... wil YOU be following the nice man who put up my TV screen?

(Link in earlier post - go on, have a look, it's so bizarre, it's hilarious).
Oh wept.... I didnt bother to read it in your first post, but on the second, i followed through and had a look at what he had to say. How the hell did this muppet get a 101 followers? GET A LIFE FFS....
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Frasier
The Wire
Lost
Family Guy

the West Wing

Nuff said

Weeds
Dexter
Six Feet Under
The Larry Sander Show
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Oh wept.... I didnt bother to read it in your first post, but on the second, i followed through and had a look at what he had to say. How the hell did this muppet get a 101 followers? GET A LIFE FFS....
I suspect the 101 followers are simply people who want to say to their friends "look at this muppet"..........

.......... it gets worse - he sometimes asks questions, as if genuinely expecting an answer ("Has anyone else noticed how heavy the traffic is in Tunbridge Wells this morning?" ).

He actually said to my wife "Are you going to follow me?" - she thought he was a crazy stalker or something.................
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spart
The Simpsons
Seinfeld
Frasier
The Wire
Lost
Family Guy

the West Wing

Nuff said

Weeds
Dexter
Six Feet Under
The Larry Sander Show
Dexter............... Michael C Hall won a Golden Globe jobby last night - the same day he announced he had cancer - nice timing............
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:27 pm