British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   DXB Palm / Beach Hotel Options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dxb-palm-beach-hotel-options-858953/)

CeeBee May 26th 2015 10:29 am

DXB Palm / Beach Hotel Options

A quick question - i'm over later in the year and looking for a really really nice hotel for either one or two nights as part of the trip - it'll be a surprise for the gf.

I've either got the option of one all out night at the One & Only Palm or two nights at, say, the Zabeel Saray, Dar Al Masyaf or Royal Mirage (or similar).

What would you opt for? I don't want anything too touristy (as in young kids screaming the place down) and it's only a quick stop.

Inselaffen May 26th 2015 2:14 pm

Re: DXB Palm / Beach Hotel Options

Dar Al Masyaf is very nice

cherrick May 26th 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 11657023)
Dar Al Masyaf is very nice

Google Maps says it's closed.

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2015 5:02 am

Dad just stayed at the Sofitel on the Palm, was lovely.

Loads of options now. Zabeel Saraay is beautiful, Waldorf looks good, One and ONly is lush but you'll spend 20mins in a cab to just get off the palm.

CeeBee May 27th 2015 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11657754)
Dad just stayed at the Sofitel on the Palm, was lovely.

Loads of options now. Zabeel Saraay is beautiful, Waldorf looks good, One and ONly is lush but you'll spend 20mins in a cab to just get off the palm.

The O&O also want £800 including taxes for bed and breakfast - although they do have a free boat transfer to the mainland. I can get in the Zabeel Saray half board for 2 or 3 nights for the same amount though.

I'll look at the Sofitel. I won't need to get off the palm during the stay as I'll be in an apartment for a week after that.

scrubbedexpat141 May 27th 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 11657876)
The O&O also want £800 including taxes for bed and breakfast - although they do have a free boat transfer to the mainland. I can get in the Zabeel Saray half board for 2 or 3 nights for the same amount though.

I'll look at the Sofitel. I won't need to get off the palm during the stay as I'll be in an apartment for a week after that.

800???? for two nights or one?

**** me. That's offensive. Dad got 2no Emirates Business returns from London, 9 nights half board in Sofitel for about 5k GBP.

Honestly don't think the O&O is worth the extra. Walk into there, Waldorf, ZAbeel, Fairmont etc and you'll barely see a difference (IMHO). Save the cash, spend on beer.

CeeBee May 27th 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11658090)
800???? for two nights or one?

**** me. That's offensive. Dad got 2no Emirates Business returns from London, 9 nights half board in Sofitel for about 5k GBP.

Honestly don't think the O&O is worth the extra. Walk into there, Waldorf, ZAbeel, Fairmont etc and you'll barely see a difference (IMHO). Save the cash, spend on beer.

If I recall correctly it was around £670+ taxes (20% or so) for one night!!

There are some good deals to be had half board especially in the Jumeirah group resorts which I'll probably go with. It's November / December though so nothing is mega cheap.

scrubbedexpat141 May 28th 2015 4:48 am

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 11658358)
If I recall correctly it was around £670+ taxes (20% or so) for one night!!

There are some good deals to be had half board especially in the Jumeirah group resorts which I'll probably go with. It's November / December though so nothing is mega cheap.

That's offensively expensive.

Go somewhere else, half board is a good option, Dad used it everyday and said the selections were really decent.

Meow May 28th 2015 9:11 am

Originally Posted by cherrick (Post 11657236)
Google Maps says it's closed.

Google maps? Why would anyone check on a hotel via a map???

Dar al Masyaf is part of the Madinat, under the umbrella of Al Qasr and is very much open for business. They are being refurbished in August but not shut.