Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai - what is happening

Dubai - what is happening

Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:30 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai - what is happening

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I daresay ISIS or its successor poses more of a longer term threat to the UAE than Israel/America ever will.

The ruins of Dubai will be fascinating for future archeologists as they try to cobble together a logical explanation for the former canals and offshore islands.
Nope disagree completely re Isis. They are more hated here than in the west and any suspected members are disappeared fast and forever
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

They may be hated in the UAE, mate, but they pose greater threat to the stability of the region than Israel does. Israel, for all its disadvantages, is content to remain within Israel and isn't interested in establishing a Jewish state across the broader ME region nor does Israel send terrorists into other ME countries to randomly kill people in the name of some fictional god.

Originally Posted by shiva
Nope disagree completely re Isis. They are more hated here than in the west and any suspected members are disappeared fast and forever
Old Mar 19th 2015, 4:06 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

They may be hated in the UAE, mate, but they pose greater threat to the stability of the region than Israel does. Israel, for all its disadvantages, is content to remain within Israel and isn't interested in establishing a Jewish state across the broader ME region nor does Israel send terrorists into other ME countries to randomly kill people in the name of some fictional god.
Errr what. Think you need to brush up on history.

Mossad has a long track record of killing targets across the Middle East including in Dubai. Israeli special forces are forever invading Syria and Lebanon.
They are also determined to destabilise the region by annexing what little is left of Palestine completely.
Daesh is a threat in Syria and northern Iraq because ethnically that's the only place they have support and the historical mistreatment of the population led to their initial support there. That support is now massively diminished. Whilst their rhetoric is second to none the actual military threat they pose beyond suicide bombers in Europe is laughable.

They are also a stabilising force across the rest of the region as all sides have a hatred of the that is unifying. Both Sunni and Shia in for example the UAE see them as a joint enemy. The Saudis are terrified of them as they represent the worst of wahibist Islam so the government will throw all its resources ta them and all but a tiny minority of Saudis would gladly fight them should they attempt to invade Saudi itself.

Hell they are such a stabilising force that the GCC and Iran are cooperating against them, two sides who've hated each other for over a thousand years.

Daesh (Isis) may yet prove to be the only successful route to peace in the region
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

anyway... back to the economy.

Deloitte have started letting people go, as have (I am told) Aramax. Both citing "recession"
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised you brought up Mossad. I was expecting you to do so.

Mossad has a nice track record of taking out key terrorist figures. I was here in Dubai when they took out that particular man.

I would be happy to concede the point to you if you can demonstrate a pattern of Mossad taking out random innocent citizens and sending people out on suicide bombing missions. Can you show me the equivalent of the ISIS cell in Tunisia killing 19 tourists as they stepped off a bus at a museum just yesterday?

I agree with you most people, Arab or not, regardless of the countries, don't want ISIS and hate ISIS, but that even you concede both Sunnis and Shias are terrified of ISIS in a range of countries only proves the point that ISIS is a greater threat to the region's stability than Israel is. Saudi, Iran, the UAE etc aren't "terrified" of Israel.

Originally Posted by shiva
Errr what. Think you need to brush up on history.

Mossad has a long track record of killing targets across the Middle East including in Dubai. Israeli special forces are forever invading Syria and Lebanon.
They are also determined to destabilise the region by annexing what little is left of Palestine completely.
Daesh is a threat in Syria and northern Iraq because ethnically that's the only place they have support and the historical mistreatment of the population led to their initial support there. That support is now massively diminished. Whilst their rhetoric is second to none the actual military threat they pose beyond suicide bombers in Europe is laughable.

They are also a stabilising force across the rest of the region as all sides have a hatred of the that is unifying. Both Sunni and Shia in for example the UAE see them as a joint enemy. The Saudis are terrified of them as they represent the worst of wahibist Islam so the government will throw all its resources ta them and all but a tiny minority of Saudis would gladly fight them should they attempt to invade Saudi itself.

Hell they are such a stabilising force that the GCC and Iran are cooperating against them, two sides who've hated each other for over a thousand years.

Daesh (Isis) may yet prove to be the only successful route to peace in the region
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Spoke to someone on BD in my company the other day. He says government tenders are slowing down. Oil price decline is definitely leaving an impact on government spending.

I daresay it's only a matter of time till construction/design starts seeing layoffs. Just my luck

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Deloitte have started letting people go, as have (I am told) Aramax. Both citing "recession"
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:05 am
**** it we'll do it live

I'm not surprised you brought up Mossad. I was expecting you to do so.

Mossad has a nice track record of taking out key terrorist figures. I was here in Dubai when they took out that particular man.

I would be happy to concede the point to you if you can demonstrate a pattern of Mossad taking out random innocent citizens and sending people out on suicide bombing missions. Can you show me the equivalent of the ISIS cell in Tunisia killing 19 tourists as they stepped off a bus at a museum just yesterday?

I agree with you most people, Arab or not, regardless of the countries, don't want ISIS and hate ISIS, but that even you concede both Sunnis and Shias are terrified of ISIS in a range of countries only proves the point that ISIS is a greater threat to the region's stability than Israel is. Saudi, Iran, the UAE etc aren't "terrified" of Israel.
Mossad are actually quite surgical in their illegal extra judicial assassinations the idf however have a stunning track record of killing innocents in droves.

99% of the fear of Daesh is media hype, they are not well supported in the region most recruits are now foreign and as a force they are a unifying force not one of separation. Most regional states are stabilising relationships to combat them. How in the hell is that a destabilising force in the region?

I'll grant that longer term the existence of Daesh will slow the pro democracy movement but that is a movement here that needs time to mature anyway. There are no countries in the Middle East that could transition to a full democracy tomorrow and not suffer a civil war (Israel excepted although it's hardly a unified nation at the moment either).
As for fear of Israel there is plenty despite the business done between them all.

If Israel suddenly grants all Palestinians passports and their land back then the Arab States lose a huge political tool immediately. If Israel suddenly seeks peace with all the Arab nations the same will happen. It suits both Israel and the Arab States to maintain a status quo of largely empty threats in public. It appeases the religious extremists, appeases the historic hatred and keeps them all united to a degree against a common enemy. Add in Israels nukes and the country scares the shit out of the Arabs.

They know they can't beat them politically or militarily and know they shouldn't even try but must maintain a level of opposition publicly. They also know if it ever comes down to the U.S. Being forced to make a choice the Arab world is ****ed.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

It's clearly started but like most economic "crashes" public perception is far more important than financial reality. The last crash should have been far worse globally but everybody just bluffed and blustered through it. I have no doubt the same will happen again and expect this time for the control of the media in country to be far tighter.

I'm also reliably informed we have a "war" to expect soon in Iraq again and war is always good for the economy of all involved but the invaded.
I know for a fact bases are currently being built and rebuilt in Iraq to house Western forces. The contracts have already been awarded and construction and recruitment is already well underway. Several local uae companies have won some very lucrative contracts and a good deal of that cash will find its way through the supply chain for materials
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:23 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It seems...

Shaken off-plan property investors head for the exit door |GulfNews.com
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:26 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

That cracked me up. I'm guessing you're Jewish then..
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm meant to be very busy. But I'm not.

I need to be busy but I can't be because a client hasn't signed off on stuff yet.

However what I'm meant to be working on is non-negotiable, got to happen, can't be late, can't be ****ed up.

2020???
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised by this - things have been flat in construction for months and many projects on hold.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:10 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, my personal precursors to the bursting bubble are also repeating themselves..

Pay more than I wanted to, and got less than I wanted for a villa.. CHECK..

Job has changed since I landed.. CHECK..

Shipments have taken the long way around the globe.. CHECK..

The bubble will burst again within 3-4 months, slam dunk!!!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:21 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

dammit! I need to get rid of my property here...SOON!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
dammit! I need to get rid of my property here...SOON!
and this panic attitude is shared by 80% of real estate owners all doing the same

My old boss was in the office today... he was in Dubai so he could start selling off his 10 apartments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.