Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai wedding like it or not!

Dubai wedding like it or not!

Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about
Default Dubai wedding like it or not!

From this article it looks like the rules change depending on your religion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...nts-freed.html
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai wedding like it or not!

Originally Posted by 954RR

Old news, mate. Also, didn't the "sex on the beach" couple also offer to get married to avoid jail time? They weren't Muslims.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:52 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It still amazes me that sex is criminal unless between a man and a woman who have a bit of paper from certain recognised authorities to say they are married?

An animal can shag without a bit of paper but a human can't have sex within the confines of a consensual adult agreement?

What's more amazing and disgusting is how this woman was raped and they are asking her to drop the charges and get married then she can go...as if she did something wrong!

I'm planning my last few years in this place....had enough of this sort of thing and cant be a part of it anymore. It's completely immoral and goes against natural human justice.

N.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It still amazes me that sex is criminal unless between a man and a woman who have a bit of paper from certain recognised authorities to say they are married?

An animal can shag without a bit of paper but a human can't have sex within the confines of a consensual adult agreement?

What's more amazing and disgusting is how this woman was raped and they are asking her to drop the charges and get married then she can go...as if she did something wrong!

I'm planning my last few years in this place....had enough of this sort of thing and cant be a part of it anymore. It's completely immoral and goes against natural human justice.

N.
I'm a 'few years' ahead of you.

So over it.

More to life than this sh.ite....no matter how much money one saves.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:34 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

agreed, the level of insanity in the powers that be has broken the camels back now. as norm says its the home straight now for me
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Delete this thread before Mantronic sees it!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 954RR

I thought that it is pretty well known that it is technically illegal to drink alcohol when you're a muslim, doesn't matter if you have an Indian, Pakistani, British or American passport and if you're on holiday or not..

I'm quite surprised at the reactions I read/hear some times, same with the sex on the beach couple, they simply got what they deserved in my opinion, it doesn't matter that the law does not make sence in our eyes, but it is THEIR law and THEIR country, we are visitors and we should keep to their laws, same as we expect immigrants/holiday makers in our own countries to accustom to our laws.

I'm also surprised about the British press mentioning nothing about the same things happening in Malaysia almost daily, (Drunk muslims punished with jailtime and lashes) but when something happens in Dubai everything is upside down.

I'm not saying anything about this particular case though, as being arrested for being raped is inexcusable (and happening in many other countries as well btw, wasn't a woman stoned a few weeks ago as she dared to get raped somewhere? Not that it makes it right in any way, but still you have to wonder why the press wants to bring Dubai down so bad)
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Euc-
I'm also surprised about the British press mentioning nothing about the same things happening in Malaysia almost daily, (Drunk muslims punished with jailtime and lashes) but when something happens in Dubai everything is upside down.
From the articles I read I was under the impression that Sharia law applies to Muslim in Malaysia but only to Malay Muslims not tourists.
However I have been wrong before.
The shock for me in this article was the fact that they ignored the rape completely. It makes me wonder if the same would happen if a Christian woman was raped under the same circumstances and if the embassies reaction would be different.