Dubai is sh1te....

Old May 13th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai is sh1te....

Originally Posted by typical
At some point I'll go back and live in Seoul again. Wonderful city, and (apart from housing - where have I heard that before?) quite cheap.

I'm not sure I could cope with living in Singapore again, but HK would be fun.

If I sit out the downturn here, maybe the US will be next though.
Seoul is expensive no?
Old May 13th 2008, 9:04 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Seoul is expensive no?
The supermarkets were more expensive than the UK, but not really by much (except for certain imported products). Restaurants and bars were generally much cheaper. I'd usually spend under a quid fifty on lunch, and good dinner was easy to find for under a fiver.

The only two things I found extremely expensive were housing and rice.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

The supermarkets were more expensive than the UK, but not really by much (except for certain imported products). Restaurants and bars were generally much cheaper. I'd usually spend under a quid fifty on lunch, and good dinner was easy to find for under a fiver.

The only two things I found extremely expensive were housing and rice.
i once stayed at the Lotte in central Seoul and found the food mega mega expensive..

I lived in Koeje island for a year..much cheaper there
Old May 13th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I know someone who was attacked by a Lebanese man in their own apartment here in Doha and the police did absolutely nothing. I'm not sure what that proves, but there you go.
I know crime happens everywhere so I'm not expecting Dubai to be this complete safehaven where you can leave the keys in your ignition overnight but there's no way the sort of things happen here are going on there.

I used to live in Jo'burg - different story altogether.

Put it this way, when was the last time you stepped out of your front door to see your car stacked on bricks?
Old May 13th 2008, 9:35 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
i once stayed at the Lotte in central Seoul and found the food mega mega expensive..
Yeah, that area is expensive - like Covent Garden in London.

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Put it this way, when was the last time you stepped out of your front door to see your car stacked on bricks?
Is this a joke about Liverpool?
Old May 13th 2008, 10:00 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I know crime happens everywhere so I'm not expecting Dubai to be this complete safehaven where you can leave the keys in your ignition overnight
It's surprising the number of people here who do stupid things like leave their houses unlocked at night (because crime doesn't happen in Dubai), and then act all shocked and outraged when they get burgled.

Since locking a door takes a second, I can only assume they've got some kind of psychological need to believe that they don't need to lock their doors here. Ho hum.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, that area is expensive - like Covent Garden in London.

Is this a joke about Liverpool?
No, it happened to me. No joke.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eeyore
It's surprising the number of people here who do stupid things like leave their houses unlocked at night (because crime doesn't happen in Dubai), and then act all shocked and outraged when they get burgled.

Since locking a door takes a second, I can only assume they've got some kind of psychological need to believe that they don't need to lock their doors here. Ho hum.
Living where i do you make sure you lock, double lock and triple lock.

A similar thing could be said about protecting yourself against the girls here too.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

No, it happened to me. No joke.
I got my wheels knicked here and have been broken into as well
Old May 13th 2008, 10:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Living where i do you make sure you lock, double lock and triple lock.
A similar thing could be said about protecting yourself against the girls here too.
Where exactly is here for you?
Old May 13th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionheart
Where exactly is here for you?
manchester - salford (technically)
Old May 13th 2008, 11:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

manchester - salford (technically)
People from Salford get quite cross about being called a Manc. Separate cities.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Judging by how many people are tryign to work here , and are absolutely desperate to get out, maybe we need to re-evaluate our definition of sh*te.
Very true.

These things are all relative and you can pick holes with living in just about any other country too. Living in Dubai is hardly 'shite' for most ex-pats. It may not be the easy luxury life they were expecting, it may be annoying and frustrating, but not actually shite.

Old May 13th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
People from Salford get quite cross about being called a Manc. Separate cities.
I don't....nor do any other Salfordians.

It depends where in Salford you're talking. Central Salford then maybe...i'm just classified as Salford City Council. Its a big place - I'm on the edge of salford / trafford.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:47 am
Bored liberal

I don't....nor do any other Salfordians.

It depends where in Salford you're talking. Central Salford then maybe...i'm just classified as Salford City Council. Its a big place - I'm on the edge of salford / trafford.

Eh? Either they do or don't? You have contradicted yourself.

I know many who are adamant they are from Salford and not Manchester, so clearly some Salfordians do take offence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.