Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Dubai the Most Disappointing Travel Destination on Earth

Dubai the Most Disappointing Travel Destination on Earth

Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dubai the Most Disappointing Travel Destination on Earth

Worst place I went to was Sadams Palace it was a bit of a let down but its surrounding bombed up streets and pot-shot walls reminded me of home!
Old Dec 13th 2014, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

I travelled from Muscat, in the mid 60s, for a four day break, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Remember hotel with BOAC sign on roof. We, my sergeant and I, were in an hotel near the airport, possibly called Bushtan ? Food was excellent, and the break from Muscat was rejuvenating.

Davie.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, BOAC ! How nostalgic !
Old Dec 14th 2014, 3:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The Sikh temple doesn't strike me as a notable cultural location because it is a contemporary creation . I would say the same for any other religious building , unless there was something really spectacular about the architecture.
To be awkward, where does the Basilica in Barca sit? It's not due to be finished until 2026 or something...
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:31 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Sikh temple doesn't strike me as a notable cultural location because it is a contemporary creation . I would say the same for any other religious building , unless there was something really spectacular about the architecture.
Try this. JL Tower, Japan (JL is a cult). 180m.

Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
To be awkward, where does the Basilica in Barca sit? It's not due to be finished until 2026 or something...
Gaudi's Sagrada Familia ; one of the world's most stupendous examples of culture and architecture.

A lot of architecture tries too hard to be different for the sake of being different. In the end they aren't that creative BUT Gaudi's familia is like nothing else and truly is a breath of fresh air.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Try this. JL Tower, Japan (JL is a cult). 180m.
Looks interesting but , from a personal interest standpoint, still just a modern building that has more in common with the Clock tower of Mecca than Japanese pagodas and Shinto temples.

Still I'd give it more creativity than most of baubles in the MidEast, cause it looks like a building from a post apocalyptic or distopian world or something out of a fictional fantasy world.

A little humour; spell check wants me to change "distopian" to " pianist " . I know it should be " dystopian " but " pianist " is waay off.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 14th 2014 at 5:07 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Gaudi's Sagrada Familia ; one of the world's most stupendous examples of culture and architecture.

A lot of architecture tries too hard to be different for the sake of being different. In the end they aren't that creative BUT Gaudi's familia is like nothing else and truly is a breath of fresh air.
It's batshit mental which is why I loved seeing it.

I do get your point though, Dubai has to build new things because it doesn't have barrel loads of centuries old buildings etc.