Dubai

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:01 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,174
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai

Had a two day layover in Dubai before going to Africa, and another full day on the way back.

Had a rental car and was chauffeuring the parents around showing them a city they hadn't seen since 2008.

What surprised me was how much new stuff there was since I left 18 months ago. And even since my last visit in September 2017.

What the F is that massive new flyover to Umm al Sheif? Why? What for?

Downtown seems crazy with insane amounts of new towers and what's that massive complex being built opposite Dubai Mall on the Burj Views side? It practically looms over the mall. And there's a new bridge from the mall towards DIFC?

Lots of new stuff along Business Bay Crossing near the creek (opposite Festival City), though that was underway when I was left. But the new Emaar development in the distance (by the arse end of the creek?) wasn't.

I shudder to think what else is going on in Dubailand or the Marina.

I LOVED being back in Dubai. It really makes you realise what a shithole Doha is. But good god, that place seems even busier and crazier and more complicated than ever. For all the doom and gloom economic predictions that place seems roaring (perhaps to another major crash?)

When I asked the pater what he thought of Dubai versus 10 years ago his response was that he was pleased the carrot cake at Lime Tree was still as good.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 12:00 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 337
reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Had a two day layover in Dubai before going to Africa, and another full day on the way back.

Had a rental car and was chauffeuring the parents around showing them a city they hadn't seen since 2008.

What surprised me was how much new stuff there was since I left 18 months ago. And even since my last visit in September 2017.

What the F is that massive new flyover to Umm al Sheif? Why? What for?

Downtown seems crazy with insane amounts of new towers and what's that massive complex being built opposite Dubai Mall on the Burj Views side? It practically looms over the mall. And there's a new bridge from the mall towards DIFC?

Lots of new stuff along Business Bay Crossing near the creek (opposite Festival City), though that was underway when I was left. But the new Emaar development in the distance (by the arse end of the creek?) wasn't.

I shudder to think what else is going on in Dubailand or the Marina.

I LOVED being back in Dubai. It really makes you realise what a shithole Doha is. But good god, that place seems even busier and crazier and more complicated than ever. For all the doom and gloom economic predictions that place seems roaring (perhaps to another major crash?)

When I asked the pater what he thought of Dubai versus 10 years ago his response was that he was pleased the carrot cake at Lime Tree was still as good.

Each year i go away for 3 weeks and when i travel by taxi from the airport to my home i see so many new buildings
Behind and to the side of my DIFC office there is a whole new shopping and F&B area being built. They are extending all along the front and back of Emirates Towers. Roads in the morning aren't terribly busy though and i do wonder if more will leave this week when the schools kick out. The flyover seems to have been the cause of so many bumps, underneath the road narrows and because of this there have been so many shunts.
Thanks for the info on Doha, i got in with no problem although i will not be going back in a hurry ( Odd place)
reddiva is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 12:13 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,174
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai

Why did you think Doha was odd? Just curious. People usually say they hate it but I haven't come across odd before.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 12:18 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 337
reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
Why did you think Doha was odd? Just curious. People usually say they hate it but I haven't come across odd before.
I should elaborate i didn't like it there at all, people compare it to Dubai 20 years ago but i dont think it was anything like Dubai that long ago . I found it really dusty, staff at the airport and the mall were rude and where i stayed was construction central It may of been because it was Ramadan but i will not be heading back there in a hurry
reddiva is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 1:06 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,174
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai

Originally Posted by reddiva View Post
I should elaborate i didn't like it there at all, people compare it to Dubai 20 years ago but i dont think it was anything like Dubai that long ago . I found it really dusty, staff at the airport and the mall were rude and where i stayed was construction central It may of been because it was Ramadan but i will not be heading back there in a hurry
Agreed. I hear people try to compare it to Dubai 20 years ago as well and it's nothing like it. It's not a question of building a fancy mall or a few more towers but the mindset and personality. The atmosphere is still much more conservative and limited. Dubai has morphed into becoming an international city whereas Qatar is quite keen to remain a firmly Arabic country.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 5:17 am
  #6  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,454
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai

Welcome back, both to the forum and for the short trip to Dubai.
Scamp is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.