Drugs !!!

Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:55 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drugs !!!

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well yes......

A former colleague used to be outstandingly good at his job. Then one day, he made a monumental cock-up, and cost the company over four million dollars......... he was fired, despite the fact that his previous efforts had made several times that in profits for them in previous years.

He started drinking, until he heard people say "he could be really good again, if he didn't drink so much'.....

That was all he had been waiting for...... now he has a new job, and is doing very well.... he just needed reassurance, or whatever......... I would argue he was never truly 'addicted' in the accepted sense of the word.

Tobacco contains addictive substances (don't know their names), so do certain 'illegal' narcotics (though not cannabis, I'm told), so does (apparently) monosodium glutamate, for God's sake....

Alcohol has nothing addictive in it whatsoever.

Alcoholics choose their fate - and continue to choose it........
There is a big difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic.. I am a heavy drinker.. but I am not an alcoholic yet.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebee
There is a big difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic.. I am a heavy drinker.. but I am not an alcoholic yet.
How do you know you're not?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:52 pm

How do you know you're not?
Because... I want a drink, I don't need one. And I have coffee when I get up not a vodka...
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:53 pm

Because... I want a drink, I don't need one. And I have coffee when I get up not a vodka...
Ok...sometimes I do need one...
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

my brother is an alcoholic and it has quite nearly destroyed our family. Alcohol is addictive and it can destroy lives. One of best friends here in Dubai left three years ago with three young children, she went to New Zealand and her husband went to the UK for rehab. He has been in rehab three times and now they are divorced, the kids have lost their father cos he would rather have a pint than see them. Terrible.

And this one even worse, another good friend left with her two sons - she went to the UK and left her alco husband here after he had put her son's lives at risk on more than one occasion. She set up home in the UK and he visited to see the boys. Long story but I heard last week that he had died, due to the effects of alcohol abuse
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:00 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
I have read reports about alcoholism where it said there might be a genetic predisposition to alcoholism in some people.
It said, this gene can be given from ,for example, father to son.
Sorry, have no link.

Yes,That is my understanding for sure.I do also think alcoholics are products of an addiction-not simply an enormous desire to down copious amounts of drink.I see paralells between alcohlics and drug users..i.e. th earlier the drink/ the thicker the spliff.

Interesting no-one cited LSD as drug of choice/interest/historic regret.
Cyclical tho....
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
my brother is an alcoholic and it has quite nearly destroyed our family. Alcohol is addictive and it can destroy lives. One of best friends here in Dubai left three years ago with three young children, she went to New Zealand and her husband went to the UK for rehab. He has been in rehab three times and now they are divorced, the kids have lost their father cos he would rather have a pint than see them. Terrible.

And this one even worse, another good friend left with her two sons - she went to the UK and left her alco husband here after he had put her son's lives at risk on more than one occasion. She set up home in the UK and he visited to see the boys. Long story but I heard last week that he had died, due to the effects of alcohol abuse
Alcohol is addictive and it can destroy lives

Still don't agree with the first part of that comment, BC.

Totally agree with the second part.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:33 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is addictive and it can destroy lives

Still don't agree with the first part of that comment, BC.

Totally agree with the second part.
Of course it is addictive.

Alcoholism may also refer to a preoccupation with or compulsion toward the consumption of alcohol and/or an impaired ability to recognize the negative effects of excessive alcohol consumption. Although not all of these definitions specify current and on-going use of alcohol as a qualifier, some do, as well as remarking on the long-term effects of consistent, heavy alcohol use, including dependence and symptoms of withdrawal.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Miss Eck

Alcoholism may also refer to a preoccupation with or compulsion toward the consumption of alcohol and/or an impaired ability to recognize the negative effects of excessive alcohol consumption. Although not all of these definitions specify current and on-going use of alcohol as a qualifier, some do, as well as remarking on the long-term effects of consistent, heavy alcohol use, including dependence and symptoms of withdrawal.
You just destroyed your own argument........

Words like "preoccupation" and "compulsion" correctly suggest desire on behalf of the drinker - not that the substance itself is addictive.

Why are we all going on like this?

Cigarettes ARE addictive - because they contain certain chemicals that make them so.

Alcohol is NOT addictive - because it contains no such chemicals.

End of.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Words like "preoccupation" and "compulsion" correctly suggest desire on behalf of the drinker - not that the substance itself is addictive.

Cigarettes ARE addictive - because they contain certain chemicals that make them so.

End of.
Eck, I will be expecting your BE 2007 nominations within the next 20 hours...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:24 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

End of.
I could go on and on but you seem you seem to think your opinion is correct so let's just leave it like that.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:31 am
Pog mo thoin

End of.
Actually I think I will go on ....

Just because we all 'use' it regularly and do not get addicted (to the point of being an alcoholic) does not mean it is not an addictive substance.

Alcohol is legal to buy and use in every state (if you are old enough). But it is a drug, similar in many ways to illegal drugs. Alcohol has the ability to give people a pleasurable experience. It also has the same ability to harm us if we use it too much.

When we first we drink alcohol it may make us feel good, and it is socially acceptable. In the beginning we may not have any bad experiences with it. This makes us more likely to want to use it again. Scientists call this "positive reinforcement". It just means that when we have a pleasurable experience we tend to repeat it.

Eventually, like all other drugs, we may begin to have bad experiences if we continue to use alcohol. This is more likely to happen if we begin using alcohol often and in larger amounts. We may experience hangovers or other feelings of being sick after drinking. We may do things while we're drinking that we're sorry for afterward. We may even begin to drink and drive. Drinking and driving may result in an arrest, an accident, or both.

So, why do some of us increase our alcohol intake? Why do some of us continue to drink, even when we have bad experiences? Alcohol is an addictive drug. This means that our bodies may come to depend on having alcohol. We may begin to have to use more for the same effect. When we're addicted to a drug, we will continue to use it.

Alcoholism is a disease. About 10% of the population are likely to become addicted to alcohol. Because our bodies or physical make-ups are similar to those of others in our biological family, this often happens to people who have one or both parents, or a grandparent, who is an alcoholic. This can happen even if the person was not raised around the alcoholic family member.

Alcohol is in a class of drugs that are called the "sedative-hypnotics". Other drugs that are in this class are: Seconal, Amytal, Dilaudid, Rohypnol and Valium. You may have heard these drugs referred to as "downers". Because drinking alcohol is an accepted part of American life, many people become addicted to alcohol.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:34 am

Actually I think I will go on ....

Just because we all 'use' it regularly and do not get addicted (to the point of being an alcoholic) does not mean it is not an addictive substance.

Alcohol is legal to buy and use in every state (if you are old enough). But it is a drug, similar in many ways to illegal drugs. Alcohol has the ability to give people a pleasurable experience. It also has the same ability to harm us if we use it too much.

When we first we drink alcohol it may make us feel good, and it is socially acceptable. In the beginning we may not have any bad experiences with it. This makes us more likely to want to use it again. Scientists call this "positive reinforcement". It just means that when we have a pleasurable experience we tend to repeat it.

Eventually, like all other drugs, we may begin to have bad experiences if we continue to use alcohol. This is more likely to happen if we begin using alcohol often and in larger amounts. We may experience hangovers or other feelings of being sick after drinking. We may do things while we're drinking that we're sorry for afterward. We may even begin to drink and drive. Drinking and driving may result in an arrest, an accident, or both.

So, why do some of us increase our alcohol intake? Why do some of us continue to drink, even when we have bad experiences? Alcohol is an addictive drug. This means that our bodies may come to depend on having alcohol. We may begin to have to use more for the same effect. When we're addicted to a drug, we will continue to use it.

Alcoholism is a disease. About 10% of the population are likely to become addicted to alcohol. Because our bodies or physical make-ups are similar to those of others in our biological family, this often happens to people who have one or both parents, or a grandparent, who is an alcoholic. This can happen even if the person was not raised around the alcoholic family member.

Alcohol is in a class of drugs that are called the "sedative-hypnotics". Other drugs that are in this class are: Seconal, Amytal, Dilaudid, Rohypnol and Valium. You may have heard these drugs referred to as "downers". Because drinking alcohol is an accepted part of American life, many people become addicted to alcohol.
Good on you.. who the hell does he think he is.. "End Of"
Is he the new mod?
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:37 am
Pog mo thoin

Good on you.. who the hell does he think he is.. "End Of"
Is he the new mod?
All men are allowed their hissy fits now and again
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

All men are allowed their hissy fits now and again
fast food is addictive... causes a lot of health problems etc... that's not illegal either...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.