Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

dress code for muslims abu dhabi

dress code for muslims abu dhabi

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:27 am
Just Joined

redf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dress code for muslims abu dhabi

I'm muslim myself but normally wear short skirts and sleeveless blouses.

I understand from searching the forum that covering the shoulders and below knee lenght skirts are alright. I was thinking of doing that during my look see but I only just heard from one of my uncles that if they found out that I was muslim and dressed like that, I would be in big trouble.

The thing is my uncle worked in Kwait many moons ago (like in the 70s) so not sure if what he says still holds. Would it really be an issue if they found out I was muslim and didn't adorn their cultural outfit?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dress code for muslims abu dhabi

Are you male or female?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

considering i wear skirts... female!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

To be honest I don't wear short skirts or shorts when I go to the mall, school etc and I'm in Dubai and not muslim.
I feel the whole place is getting more conservative and from what I hear Abu dhabi is more so.

Are you here yet? Wear what you think is right for you - and maybe you need a new wadrobe hubby should be pleased about that.

hope this helps
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redf
considering i wear skirts... female!
could be Scottish they wear tartan skirts!

The Mrs always takes care to cover up in Abu Dhabi...however a few of the girls at this week's Cityscape event were wearing very short skirts. Not sure how they get away with it.

Last edited by flares; Apr 22nd 2010 at 12:58 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

I thought scottish wear kilts, not skirts!

But were they (those who wear short skirts ) muslims? My main concern is that as a muslim I would get into trouble if I do not wear the cultural outfit over there (not just long sleeve and trousers mind you). My name is very Islamic.
Not there yet - look see is early may
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:12 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redf
I thought scottish wear kilts, not skirts!

But were they (those who wear short skirts ) muslims? My main concern is that as a muslim I would get into trouble if I do not wear the cultural outfit over there (not just long sleeve and trousers mind you). My name is very Islamic.
Not there yet - look see is early may
No need to worry - Abu Dhabi is pretty relaxed. Many of my staff are female muslims and they wear a wide range of clothing from full hijab to above-the knee skirts and high heels depending on their personal choice.

If you dress as conservatively you would to go to work at a professional job in the UK you'll be fine. Certainly no need to don an abaya and sheyla.

Take a look at Time Out for actual pics of what people wear here: http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/photos
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of 'westernised' Muslim women wear shorts and sleeveless blouses. You will be fine most of the time. Once you get out here you will quickly pick up what's deemed acceptable and what's not.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:54 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

The locals (in all of the gulf countries) tend to think that all expats are non-muslim so unless you carry around a sign or have it tattooed on your forehead you'll be fine. I'm not advocating going to the mall in a mini skirt however. It would likely attract a lot of attention (of the kind you don't want) from local men...

However, if you were caught doing something wrong (drunk in public, kissing in public, etc) then they would likely find out you were muslim and use it to punish you harder. The double-standards run high in this place...
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:55 am
Just Joined

tahnks! that's a lot of help. Was a bit worried initially!